Post workout eating - late at night

Options
Hi everyone, thanks in advance for your thoughts....

3 days a week I spent about 80 minutes paddling on the river, doing different workouts with my team. Generally I would classify the training as heavy and hard, some days more painful than others. Love the training, but the workouts usually keep me out until after 9pm. I haven't ever liked to eat in the evening and am trying to lose fat through a healthier diet.

All this being said and with my goal to lose fat in mind, what should I have as a post workout snack? If anything?

Replies

• danceVICKIdance
    danceVICKIdance Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with this. I'm trying to lose weight and I'm a night person, but I hear you shouldn't eat before bed.
  • ksavy
    ksavy Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    If it is the full feeling that bothers you, I would say just drink a protein shake before bed or after working out. Eatting a little more during the day on the days you will be out paddling would help out too.
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Oh calories is never the problem, I am pretty decent at planning my meals and feeling balanced. I am more wondering if something like a protein shake is even necessary after a workout?

I am quite happy with my fitness levels, but know I will get even better as I lose fat.
  • ksavy
    ksavy Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I would say as long as all your macros are good and you are not hungry, then don't worry about it.
  • Anastacia1119
    Anastacia1119 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    As long as you stay within your calorie range, you will not gain weight/fat. Time of day has nothing to do with weight/fat loss.
  • xAiRfOrCeKillahX
    Options
    Either eat celery or other virtually 0 calorie veggies or take an appetite suppressant and tough it out! night eating is belly fat heaven
  • denezy
    Options
    Either eat celery or other virtually 0 calorie veggies or take an appetite suppressant and tough it out! night eating is belly fat heaven

I'm actually not usually hungry, was more worried about muscle recovery (I'm getting older and it takes longer).
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    If you're not hungry at night, then, by all means, you don't have to eat at night!

If you are worried about getting calories in, or wake up feeling shaky, then have something like a protein shake.
  • jman8108
    Options
    ^Completely Incorrect. Research meal timing and its effects on body composition. As stated earlier in this thread just hit your macro's. That is what matters, NOT if you're eating at night. I've seen people who consume the large majority of their calories at night post-workout that are single digit body fat and have no trouble maintaining it. Not to mention most supplements sold for fat burning or appetite suppression are heavily stimulant based which will make it difficult to sleep, which is far more important than following some "Bro-science" notion of not eating at night.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

Bullpoopie. Meal and food timing is irrelevant.

I usually have a 1000+ calorie dinner around 7-8pm. Hasn't hurt my belly any.

I personally love a glass of chocolate milk at bedtime.
  • Rogus1
    Rogus1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    night eating is belly fat heaven

Guess it depends on what you want to believe. You can pretty much find something that says differently:

2- Eating before bed

Why is it bad?
    If you're seeking sweet dreams, avoid eating before bedtime. While no conclusive studies prove that eating before bed leads to weight gain, eating too much food, or eating spicy foods, fatty foods and caffeine one to three hours before bedtime can reduce the quality and length of your sleep, making you fatigued, sluggish and generally not fun to be around the next day. Eating fatty foods before bed will slow down the emptying of the stomach, exacerbating indigestion, while spicy foods can lead to heartburn and indigestion.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options

Bullpoopie. Meal and food timing is irrelevant.

I usually have a 1000+ calorie dinner around 7-8pm. Hasn't hurt my belly any.

I personally love a glass of chocolate milk at bedtime.
    Soooo This! I eat my biggest meal 8-9pm as well! and the most cals of all meals! maintained weight, year and a half. My belly begs 2 differ with night eating...;-)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Eating at night is no more lipogenic than eating during the day. You're ignoring the fact that as you move calories from day to night you are increasing fat oxidation during the day.

All that matters is that fat oxidation > fat storage. You do this by creating an energy deficit. Doesn't matter if these calories are eaten at night or not.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Eating at night is no more lipogenic than eating during the day. You're ignoring the fact that as you move calories from day to night you are increasing fat oxidation during the day.

All that matters is that fat oxidation > fat storage. You do this by creating an energy deficit. Doesn't matter if these calories are eaten at night or not.

^^this

OP: if you do not like eating at night then try to eat more earlier, but meal timing will have no impact to fat loss.
  • Crayzeeduck
    Options
    Withing 45 minutes of the end of my workout, I consume a protein shake of OJ and soy protein powder. The idea is that the the protein needs to get to your muscles quickly to help repair the damage done by the exercise and help grow more muscle fibers. The high GI carbs in the OJ speed the processing of the protein. Avoid any fats with this -- they are harder to metabolize and will slow down the process.

I usually exercise at around 9PM.
  • denezy
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments. Are there any girls (or dudes) out there who have bulked up then leaned down who can offer their thoughts?
  • denezy
    Options
    Bump for more help.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I'm actually not usually hungry, was more worried about muscle recovery (I'm getting older and it takes longer).

If you are worried about muscle recovery (as opposed to protein absorbtion for actual muscle repair or meal timing) then something like milk or chocolate milk is considered to be very good.