Under 30 with Arthritis

Options
Hey everyone -
So I'd been having terrible aches for years that got worse after doing "Insanity." I've just found out that the pains are due to Arthritis. I thought that I was too young for this !!

Anyways anyone else dealing with this?

What work outs are less painful?

Replies

• Sarah47201
    Sarah47201 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I had arthritis in my mid 20s and now that I'm 33 it seems to get a little worse every winter when the temperature changes outside instead of just overuse making it flare up. I got some "Joint Juice" at the store I'm going to try because the last 4-5 days have been rough!! Hope you feel better soon. :)
  • TeaberryDawn
    TeaberryDawn Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I was just told that I have mild arthritis in my back at the age of 33. After getting over my pity party, I have been taking things a bit easier. One of my problems was too much elliptical, which was stressing my hip/lower back and causing me a lot of low back pain. My initial goal is to build muscle strength (especially in my stomach/back and knees) to decrease the strain my joints take.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Ive had rheumatoid arthritis symptoms since i was 25, was finally dx at the age of 28. Your never too young.
  • squirrelythegreat
    squirrelythegreat Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hmm if you're having even mild joint pains Insanity is a bit high impact. I would recommend something like yoga or tai chi. Might not be the most intense calorie burning activities, but you may notice improvements in your symptoms. My $.02
  • TeaberryDawn
    TeaberryDawn Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Oh, forget to mention. I did some research and ordered some Osteo BiFlex with Gelatin; it is an unflavored add-in for drinks (I use mine in a protein shake daily). Had good reviews on Drugstore.com and between taking it easier, building muscle, losing weight, and it I am feeling much better. May just be a placebo effect, but it is working for me. Best wishes!
  • GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I have some minor osteoarthritis. I still workout. I just listen when my body says too much, and I take a glucosamine MSM supplement to help keep the cartilage intact. I have been this way since I was 25. I can still do 30DS, jog, and P90X workouts.
  • melly7171
    melly7171 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Im not under 30 but i am 41 with arthritis in my knees (diagnosed about 2 years ago) and back (undiagnosed but i know they symptoms). Any exercise like that i know just makes it worse and no way i could cope with it. I do stationary bike, elliptical and weight training (i take it easy on my lower body). Swimming is also fantastic!
  • Crosbinium
    Crosbinium Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I am now in my late 30's but have dealt with arthritis in my knees since my teens. I have found pilates to be a good workout that doesn't cause problems with my knees. I try to walk as well each day. I have found that being more active and losing some weight has helped my knees.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I've had rheumatoid arthritis since I was about 13 or 14. I added osteoarthritis in my 30's.

Yup - you can get it young. Yep - it sucks. You will have to find out what works for you for relief, pain management, and prevention. Unfortunately - these things are not the same for every sufferer. For me, having a heated bed was a godsend.

I wish you luck, and I greatly sympathize.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone -
    So I'd been having terrible aches for years that got worse after doing "Insanity." I've just found out that the pains are due to Arthritis. I thought that I was too young for this !!

Anyways anyone else dealing with this?

What work outs are less painful?

I have arthritis really bad in my hips (I'm almost 52 and it runs in the family). I take joint supplements and cod liver oil. I had to stop martial arts because it irritates it. I can run and bike and lift if I take my supplements. Heavy lifting leg workouts sometimes makes it hurt but if I'm careful with my stance I can prevent it from hurting. It's not stopping me, I refuse to let it, but I found the pain is less since I lost the 60 lbs (less stress on the joints).
  • BethanyTL
    Options
    I am 25 and have been struggling with artheritis for a while. It runs in my family, my mom had it young too and it stopped her gymnastics career :( However, my family and I have found solutions for us. My parents both keep away artheritis symptoms by avoiding any type of nightshade (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, etc.) I don't avoid anything but keep away all pains and symptoms by taking at least 1000mg of Evening Primrose Oil every day. I don't just take it for artheritis but also for ADHD so on a day that I am feeling less focused I take more up to 3000mg. Hope this helps! I think anything is worth a try so that we can excercise the way that we want! :)
  • Charmed285
    Charmed285 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I thought I had arthritis and when I told my doctor she said it's just joint pains. it's only in the knee area and I feel it when working out, cold weather, or sometimes for no reason at all. I could just think about working out and it just starts hurting out of nowhere. weird... and I think it's conspiring against me. I take ibprofen and keep going and do what I can. oh and I'm 23 as of two days ago. had this probem for a few years now.
  • HMToomey
    Options
    I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis 7 years ago. I do Zumba as much as I can. My options are move a lot or go on lyrica / embrel and the side effects of those are just too scary for words! I have asymetrical (not in matching joints) and spondylitis (spine and rib cage). I find zumba, hula hooping with a 3 pound weight and getting my fitbit step goal all help. I really hurt if I don't move for a day so I never take a rest day though I may just get to 10,000 steps and call it a day I know I did something. Also Keep you mood up! Depression really does hurt so make sure you do everything you can to be happy and that also includes moving and getting that really fun endorphin high! :flowerforyou: Hope you start to feel better!!
  • HMToomey
    Options
    I thought I had arthritis and when I told my doctor she said it's just joint pains. it's only in the knee area and I feel it when working out, cold weather, or sometimes for no reason at all. I could just think about working out and it just starts hurting out of nowhere. weird... and I think it's conspiring against me. I take ibprofen and keep going and do what I can. oh and I'm 23 as of two days ago. had this probem for a few years now.

Happy Birthday!!!!!!!
  • kmhenry84
    kmhenry84 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone.
    I stopped doing Insanity about a month ago when I the pain started hurting more.

As far as what goes... and what doesn't for me. I can walk, but if I walk too much, I will pay for it the next day.I can even jog, as long as its not on a treadmill, and not too much. If I sit too much it hurts. A couple of years ago, the eliptical would make my knee feel better, now if I getting on it for 15 seconds hurts.

It always hurts. Always. In varying degrees, but I'm always in pain. It helps to submerge in warm water, but it still aches.

I'm getting resistance bands in the next week or so for strength, but I'd like to keep on with some kind of cardio other than walking...
  • HMToomey
    Options
    You've gotta build up slowly. If you can only walk for 1 mile then go a mile, next time try 1.10 miles. Rome wasn't built in a day! I find that doing things I truly enjoy (hula hooping, Zumba, and playing with the kids I nanny) make me want to do it and make me push through it. Alieve helps, on really bad days I take 2 right away then one every 12 hours after that. I try not to take anything for it if I can help it though. It's not easy but find what you LOVE doing and it will be more tolerable! :heart:
  • mbk830
    mbk830 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    They've told me for years that I had arthritis in my left ankle. I never thought I would be able to run or not sprain it or not have it ache regularly. Working with my trainer has been worth the money I spent in gold. The muscles are the ankle are now strong and I can do almost anything.

So my recommendation (and I'm not a doc) is to strengthen the muscles around the aching joints....then the world better move out of your way!
  • HogSandwich
    HogSandwich Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis 7 years ago. I do Zumba as much as I can. My options are move a lot or go on lyrica / embrel and the side effects of those are just too scary for words! I have asymetrical (not in matching joints) and spondylitis (spine and rib cage). I find zumba, hula hooping with a 3 pound weight and getting my fitbit step goal all help. I really hurt if I don't move for a day so I never take a rest day though I may just get to 10,000 steps and call it a day I know I did something. Also Keep you mood up! Depression really does hurt so make sure you do everything you can to be happy and that also includes moving and getting that really fun endorphin high! :flowerforyou: Hope you start to feel better!!

*Hands up* Also onboard the psoriatic arthritis train. Got diagnosed at 14, so pretty much half my life now. From 14 to 21 I was epically miserable, did all my school exams on a computer (everyone else was handwriting), was nervy about being touched because of how terrible my scaly reptile-skin was, hurt too much to do any school sport. After my rheumatologist and I tried a few combos of drugs, I qualified for Remicade Infliximab infusions - and since then, I've been completely asymptomatic. The skin has shrunk down to three tiny patches, my joints are all fine (I'm weaker than your average and I can't do anything the requires pressure on my 90 degree-bent wrists) and my hands puff up a little sometimes, but the difference is HUGE. I take no tablets, just rock up to hospital every 8 weeks, sit in a chair for 1.5 hours with a drip in my arm and go on my merry way. It was a complete gamechanger.

This IS Australia, and the beauty that is Medicare + private health cover makes this possible - but I'd strongly suggest to anyone with arthritis to ask their doctor about Remicade, and whether it's an option for you.
  • kmhenry84
    kmhenry84 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    They've told me for years that I had arthritis in my left ankle. I never thought I would be able to run or not sprain it or not have it ache regularly. Working with my trainer has been worth the money I spent in gold. The muscles are the ankle are now strong and I can do almost anything.

So my recommendation (and I'm not a doc) is to strengthen the muscles around the aching joints....then the world better move out of your way!

thanks so much! this gives me some hope!!
  • melly7171
    melly7171 Posts: 54 Member
    Options

Ask your Doc to send you for an xray to know for sure! And get 2 opinions