gotta use these potatoes and need suggestions...

Options
I bought a bag of potatoes and I am at a loss for what to cook. I usually mash them or bake them, but that is so boring.

Anybody have any suggestions? We are vegetarian so I need some hearty recipes. I'm also cooking for a 10 year old, so kid friendly ideas would be nice.

They are just plain old Idaho potatoes, nuthin fancy. I'm sure theres something facny I can do to them. I'm just at a loss for thoughts on food right now because I haven't been hungry lately. When I'm not hunrgy, I don't really have inspiration. When I'm hungry, I'm a freakin wizard in the kitchen.

Thanks in advance for your ideas!
Holly

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Double baked potatoes:
    Bake them with the skin on fully intact. Once potatoes are done, cut them in half length ways. Scoop out most of the middle, leave 1/4" all the way around attached to the peel. With the insides combine with low fat sour cream and salsa, mix well. Take the mixture and put it back in the skin boats, sprinkle with low fat mozza cheese and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Delicious double baked potatoes that are pretty good for you, don't forget to eat the skins (best part of the potato), full of fiber.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite dishes with potatoes is this:

Steam them to partially cook them. Cool. Cut them into 1" cubes. Cut a large onion into chunks. (Non-vegetarians can add browned chicken or turkey sausage here). Make a marinade from olive oil (1-2 tbsp depending on how many veg's you have), dill, parsley, garlic powder, and cracked black pepper. Combine the veg/sausage in glass casserole and toss with oil mix. I like to lightly sprinkle wheat germ across the top (makes a nice crust). Sparingly add sea salt. Broil in the oven until browned, tossing occasionally.

Yummy!! I like to have this with a green salad.

1/2 pound of potatoes, 2 chicken sausages, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1/2 onion makes two servings for me. Each is 240 calories, 23g carbs, 10g fat, and 16g protein

Edit: The wheat germ adds 25 calories/1g fat/3g carbs/2g protein to the entire dish, for 1 tbsp.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    I have a low-fat broccoli cheese soup recipe that I top on potatoes to make it "loaded"....but, not loaded with calories and fat...in fact, that's my lunch today.

How about potato-leek soup?
  • fallingwave
    fallingwave Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Double baked potatoes:
    Bake them with the skin on fully intact. Once potatoes are done, cut them in half length ways. Scoop out most of the middle, leave 1/4" all the way around attached to the peel. With the insides combine with low fat sour cream and salsa, mix well. Take the mixture and put it back in the skin boats, sprinkle with low fat mozza cheese and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Delicious double baked potatoes that are pretty good for you, don't forget to eat the skins (best part of the potato), full of fiber.

I'm gonna have to try this! :happy:
  • JBRENTLINGER
    Options

Steam them to partially cook them. Cool. Cut them into 1" cubes. Cut a large onion into chunks. (Non-vegetarians can add browned chicken or turkey sausage here). Make a marinade from olive oil (1-2 tbsp depending on how many veg's you have), dill, parsley, garlic powder, and cracked black pepper. Combine the veg/sausage in glass casserole and toss with oil mix. I like to lightly sprinkle wheat germ across the top (makes a nice crust). Sparingly add sea salt. Broil in the oven until browned, tossing occasionally.

1/2 pound of potatoes, 2 chicken sausages, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1/2 onion makes two servings for me. Each is 240 calories, 23g carbs, 10g fat, and 16g protein

Edit: The wheat germ adds 25 calories/1g fat/3g carbs/2g protein to the entire dish, for 1 tbsp.

I cannot wait to try this!!! YUMMY!
  • jewls261521
    Options
    That double baked potato recipe sounds fantastic. I always cook potatoes as well, and I was looking for new ideas also. Thanks a lot! (:
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    When you make mashed potatoes, just before they are done boiling add some fresh spinach, drain, mash together with low fat sour cream and low fat mozz cheese, MMMM!
  • shaggys
    shaggys Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    A little work,but homemade potatoe skins are awesome and the kids love them!Allrecipes.com has a bunch,and they even break down all the calories and nutitional info!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    bump
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    OK. Even without an appetite, I must admit, these suggestions sound yummy!

Would you believe I have never had potato skins? I never bothered to order them at a restarant or make them myself and everybody esle always loads them with bacon:sick: I think I'm going to give them a try!

Soup would be a great idea! We are expected to get a pretty huge snow storm here in the Detroit area. You can't be snowed in without a steamy bowl of soup, right?

Twice baked potatoes and the marinated, broiled recipe sound easy and delish and kid friendly! I think I may need to buy more potatoes, lol.

Well, thanks everyone, keep em coming! But I'm going to head out to the market to stock up before the snow starts!
    If you are somewhere warm, I envy you! Can I come over? I'll bring the potatoes!:laugh: :wink:
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I know it's thought of as a summer dish, but you could always make some potato salad - add a little light mayo, mustard, celery, carrots, etc etc......this is usually what I do when I need to use up potatoes.....www.eatbetteramerica.com has a really good "healthified" potato salad recipe.
  • siobhannestor
    Options
    Spanish Torta - preheat oven to 325 degrees. whisk 5 whole eggs with pepper and salt to taste (salt can be omitted) & set aside. slice 1 small yellow onion into 1/4 inch thick half moons, saute in 1 tbs. olive oil with 3 sliced garlic cloves in large pan until soft and beginning to brown. remove from pan. Sprinkle 5 thinly sliced baking potatoes with (very light) salt, toss in same pan with 1 tbs. olive oil, cover, and cook until soft, 12 - 15 minutes. Gently mix onions back in. Pour egg mixture over onions and potatoes. Place, covered, in oven and bake until set - about 10 minutes. Serve with 10 cups mixed salad greens tossed in 1 tbs. olive oil and sprinkled with fresh ground pepper. Makes 5 servings, per serving: Calories: 339, Carbs: 44.3 g, Fiber: 5.2 g, Fat: 13.5 g, Protein: 12.8 g, Sugars: 2 g, Vit A: 50%, Vit C: 42%, Calcium: 9%, Iron, 52%, Sodium: 490 mcg, Potassium: 1300 mcg

Italian Artichoke Heart & Potato Gratin - Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Defrost 6 - 8 frozen artichoke hearts and slice (may also use canned, but not marinated). Peel and chop 3 garlic cloves and mix with 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or 1 tsp dry and salt and pepper to taste. Thinly slice 3 medium baking potatoes. Lightly coat a medium baking dish with olive oil. Place a layer of potatoes in bottom of dish. Arrange a layer of artichoke hearts over potatoes, and sprinkle with garlic/thyme mixture and drizzle with tsp or so of olive oil. Continue layering ingredients, ending with a layer of potatoes. Sprinkle 4 tablespoons of water into corners of baking disch, allowing the water to trickle over the bottom. Sprinkle 2 tbs. breadcrumbs (preferably homemade) over top and drizzle with one more tsp. olive oil. Bake for about 1 hour, or until artichokes and potatoes are tender but hold their shape. Makes 4 servings: Calories: 268, Carbs: 33.6 g, Fiber: 4.2 g, Fat: 13.9 g, Protein: 4.9 g, Sugars: 1.5 g, Vit A: 1%, Vit C: 17%, Calcium: 3%, Iron, 22%, Sodium: 188 mcg, Potassium: 801 mcg

I know that the recipes take a little more time than normal, but both are yummy - I often make the torta for potlucks & people rave...
  • rinren84
    rinren84 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Cut slits all along the top. Roll in solve olive oil and sprinkle with salt. In each of the slits, tuck a sliver of garlic. Bake like a regular baked potatoe. Called Hasselback Potatoes
  • vipersgirl28
    Options
    some of these recipe suggestions sound so good. :smile:
  • rockwife
    Options
    microwave bake potaoes, open can a vegetarian chili, heat, pour over baked potato slices and top with whatever cheese you have in the fridge.
  • candylea
    candylea Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Make oven fries. Toss cut potatoes in a little olive oil or use Pam. Salt and bake til they get as brown and crispy as you like them
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    Cut slits all along the top. Roll in solve olive oil and sprinkle with salt. In each of the slits, tuck a sliver of garlic. Bake like a regular baked potatoe. Called Hasselback Potatoes

This made me drool a little bit:tongue:
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options

This sounds so good!
  • lizzie84
    Options
    Myy daughter and I eat this for lunch at least once a week:

2 med potatoes, diced (I leave the skin on)
    10 baby carrots, sliced
    1 leek, sliced and washed
    1/2 onion, sliced thin
    2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
    dash of red pepper (Mrs. Dash garlic and herb tastes really good too)

Heat one tbs olive oil and saute carrots, onions and leeks. Add potatoes, broth and seasoning. Turn heat to low and cook for about 15 mins until potatoes and carrots are tender. (I just kinda mash the potatoes with a fork in my bowl, I like a chunkier soup but I'm sure you could blend half of it and it would taste good also.)

(Does not freeze well)
  • lizzie84
    Options
    Spanish Torta - preheat oven to 325 degrees. whisk 5 whole eggs with pepper and salt to taste (salt can be omitted) & set aside. slice 1 small yellow onion into 1/4 inch thick half moons, saute in 1 tbs. olive oil with 3 sliced garlic cloves in large pan until soft and beginning to brown. remove from pan. Sprinkle 5 thinly sliced baking potatoes with (very light) salt, toss in same pan with 1 tbs. olive oil, cover, and cook until soft, 12 - 15 minutes. Gently mix onions back in. Pour egg mixture over onions and potatoes. Place, covered, in oven and bake until set - about 10 minutes. Serve with 10 cups mixed salad greens tossed in 1 tbs. olive oil and sprinkled with fresh ground pepper. Makes 5 servings, per serving: Calories: 339, Carbs: 44.3 g, Fiber: 5.2 g, Fat: 13.5 g, Protein: 12.8 g, Sugars: 2 g, Vit A: 50%, Vit C: 42%, Calcium: 9%, Iron, 52%, Sodium: 490 mcg, Potassium: 1300 mcg

Italian Artichoke Heart & Potato Gratin - Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Defrost 6 - 8 frozen artichoke hearts and slice (may also use canned, but not marinated). Peel and chop 3 garlic cloves and mix with 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or 1 tsp dry and salt and pepper to taste. Thinly slice 3 medium baking potatoes. Lightly coat a medium baking dish with olive oil. Place a layer of potatoes in bottom of dish. Arrange a layer of artichoke hearts over potatoes, and sprinkle with garlic/thyme mixture and drizzle with tsp or so of olive oil. Continue layering ingredients, ending with a layer of potatoes. Sprinkle 4 tablespoons of water into corners of baking disch, allowing the water to trickle over the bottom. Sprinkle 2 tbs. breadcrumbs (preferably homemade) over top and drizzle with one more tsp. olive oil. Bake for about 1 hour, or until artichokes and potatoes are tender but hold their shape. Makes 4 servings: Calories: 268, Carbs: 33.6 g, Fiber: 4.2 g, Fat: 13.9 g, Protein: 4.9 g, Sugars: 1.5 g, Vit A: 1%, Vit C: 17%, Calcium: 3%, Iron, 22%, Sodium: 188 mcg, Potassium: 801 mcg

I know that the recipes take a little more time than normal, but both are yummy - I often make the torta for potlucks & people rave...

I am def going to try both of these, they sound awesome!!!