Sore feet...and shins....new shoes???

Options
I'm struggling with sore feet while I'm working out. :cry:
When I do jumping jacks, jump rope, run in place, etc, my feet and shins hurt.
And, when I do lunges and squats, my feet hurt.

Do I need new shoes??? Or, are my feet hurting because I'm using them too hard to keep my balance?? Or am I doing something else wrong?? I've tried a couple different pair of tennis shoes, and none of them give me much relief. :huh:

I thought that the hard surface I was working out on was part of the problem, but I've put down a foam mat to work out on...and I still have the pain.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    It may be because you don't have arch support. It might be worth going to a running store and getting fitted. I had to go to a podiatrist.
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I am a firm believer in getting your gait analyzed at a running store, even if you don't run. Proper shoes can make or break you.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and it's only been relieved with the Nike Free XTs but they're already wearing down after 3 months of wear. I was thinking about getting those Dr Scholls Orthotics but don't wanna waste the $60 if they don't work...
  • Ginnyesq
    Options
    I went to a podiatrist for a similar issue, and she told me to go to a sporting goods store and get an orthodic insert that has better arch support. It was about $20 and made a HUGE difference. Look for one that has a cup like shape too the heel for your heel to sink in to.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    And STRETCHING!!! Lots and LOTS of stretching! This coming from a former stretching neglecter!! You must must must stretch properly.
  • Katalyst77
    Options
    And eat LOTS of spinach! Seriously! It works!
  • DanaLynnMN
    DanaLynnMN Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I thought my current shoes had pretty good arch support, but maybe not.
    I think I will try going to the running shoe store a guy at work recommended and see what they say.

In the meantime, will do some extra stretching.....and maybe try the spinach too!

Thanks again! :happy:
  • Suz_w8loss
    Suz_w8loss Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    could be your shoes but I have also read that jumping jacks can cause shin splints if your shins are not used to that type of impact.