Subway... healthy fast food?

Options
FitBeto
FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
Any one else eat here? I think of it as a good diet option - I mean yeah what I get (6" turkey breast on 9 grain honey oat) is semi high in calories - but that's in part of the bread. I load it with all the veggies and no cheese, minimum (or fat free) ranch, but when i eat it I still feel like its a cheat meal.

Same thing with Panda express, they have a veggie bowl and mushroom chicken which is fairly decent calorie wise - does any one else eat "healthy" or what seems to be healthy at fast food joints and still feel like it has an adverse effect?

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Check out thei options carefully. Some are REALLY bad.

BUT skip the cheese and sauces and choose plain meat like roast beef. Better still, think about skipping the bread and get a salad there. Love their veggies.

It's all about your choices.
  • fabandfunat51
    fabandfunat51 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    My husband and I eat at Subway a lot. . . we get the oven roasted chicken breast, no cheese on flatbread with ALL veggies (except black olives for me - YUCK!) I get a 6" with light mayo and a bag of baked lays and my meal (usually dinner) comes up to a little over 400 calories. I'm satisfied because I got to eat out, but am happy with the calorie count. I KNOW its not the healthiest food, however the alternatives for me are so much worse.

Favorite thing to eat out now??? SUSHI! Yum!!
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    It's still higher calories than a homemade low cal meal but it definitely beats McDonald's!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I think that its also a lot more food for the calories. A mcdouble is almost 400 calories I think and that wouldn't do squat except make my stomach feel like I swallowed a rock. Plus, if you load your sub with vegetables, there's a lot more nutrients.
  • lizalouise
    lizalouise Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I logged my subway sandwhich for lunch today and was a bit blown away by the sodium. Even the salads are surprisingly high. But for me, it's a handy option when I'm super busy, and don't want to buy the ingredients for just one sandwhich. I get really upset when i'm throwing out half a lettuce head at the end of the week because it's just me, and no matter how i try... i can't eat that much lettuce!
  • Han987
    Options
    I work at a subway and it really does depend on what you eat. Some can be very high in cals. If you stick to the wheat bread, have something like ham, roast beef or turkey, no cheese or sauces, it can be very healthy. Stray from that and you will be eating more calories than you realize.
  • tiffanympm
    Options
    I always get a wheat turkey or blt. No cheese. LIGHT on mayo. The girl that works in there knows me and she mocks me. Its quite cute. I also get spinach, yellow peppers and just about every veggie option.

MY OLD subway go to was the pizza sub cheese. with iceberg, onion and ranch and hot sauce. 3 cookies and a large coke.

Yup. Things change.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I love a chicken subway but don't have it too often because of sodium. I think the chicken one has over 500gms sodium!
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I used to eat Subway every Sunday as my "healthy treat", until I started using MFP. Between my favorite sauce being chipotle and my favorite sub being roast chicken, I set myself back a good thousand calories and a zillion grams of sodium.

I still love the place and it's my go-to for the occasional fast food, but I am definitely not going to kid myself that it's good for me anymore.
  • SweetCheekszx0
    SweetCheekszx0 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    There new spinach flat bread with eggs and ham ... So f*ckin good love it lol
  • leesehm
    leesehm Posts: 117
    Options
    sushi is best takeaway food. i get salmon and avocado and its brilliant. just avoid the fried stuff
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I think its a good low calorie option, but I would doubt how many vitiams etc are left in it, and the salt is prob quite high.
  • ksturgis
    Options
    I eat my subway sandwiches on wraps instead of the bread. Do you know if that's lower in calories??
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    sushi is best takeaway food. i get salmon and avocado and its brilliant. just avoid the fried stuff

Tottally! I love how you can buy sushi and not feel guilty afterwards :)
  • GmeB
    GmeB Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Subway is great for me. I get wheat bread,load it up with any and every veggie you like.no mayo or any spread,no cheese.take it home and add fat free mayo or fat free miracle whip,and a couple slices of fat free cheese. Viola! I even order the foot long,and cut it in half.half for lunch,and half for dinner.very filling,and surprisingly good
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I love sushi too! But it suck because I heard that they sometimes use cream cheese in the rolls. There's always some kind of hidden thing haha!

But yeah my subway dislike is the bread. I may opt for flat bread but im watching white carbs. Dieting is so freaking annoying haha
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    subway sucks in my opinion. its all flat and stale..not made with love at all.
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    For the last 2 Saturdays I have gone shopping in town and then bought a Subway for my lunch - turkey, ham on wheat, all the veg, no dressing - super filling, really tasty, fits my macros and feels like a treat for some reason - much more than if I had made the equivalent sandwich at home.

I always thought that I had to have it on italian herb with toasted cheese and load sof mayo so it's good to find out it still tastes as good the way I have it now.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Foot long veggie in wheat, no cheese, vinegar, salt, & pepper. Yum. Or a veggie salad with shredded cheese. I think the whole sodium bit only really becomes an issue if you eat their weird mystery meats.

Oh yeah, with apples and lemonade. :smile:
  • jharb2
    jharb2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Eat there all the time - at least once a week. Calories are calories - Its your choice how to use them. but I pack on the veggies to offset the negatives. I also do avocado and cheese if I need to use up calories. Baked or reduced fat chips. Satisfying and delicious.