Still Struggling

Options
2»

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    A lot of factors go into it. You could be targeting too little calories, or too many. Or your calorie goal could be right, but you are underestimating the amount of cals in what you eat and drink, or you could be overestimating calories you burn with your workouts. Or you could have some other health issue that is impeding weight loss. The alcohol definitely doesn't help, it can impede weight loss because your liver is processing all of the alcohol instead of the other job it is supposed to be doing that affects fat storage.
  • EdieCl
    EdieCl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about that. I bought Sensa and I can tell you that it works! You can't taste it, but it feels you up quicker than you would eating alone and you don't even realize it until you stop eating. I would recommend this as everybody I know who has tried this it has worked for, good luck!

Thank you. I really hate to use anything at all because I want to do this naturally, but I think it is time I consider outside help.

Sounds like you've given up already, and there's nothing we can do to help you. No one can help you if you're not wiling to accept that you might be doing something wrong. Good luck in your journey.
  • Starbuck2020
    Starbuck2020 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Is 1200-1600 (logging everything, every bite, every sip) really too much to combat with daily exercise? I'm not eating 2500 a day and saying poor me I'm fat.

The weight gain was sudden and consistant. I didn't spend 10 years gaining 50lbs. It happened in months and I changed all of my habit to take it off and nothing is working. Hence the doctor appointment and feeling alone and misserable.

Yes I get it. I am pathetic and this sounds like a lazy I give up post, but I really am just struggling and frustrated. Sorry.
  • melpop8
    melpop8 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    open your diary so suggestions can be made for you :)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you could have some health issue that is causing the weight gain and the difficulty in taking it off. I hope the doctor can help shed some light on it and recommend proper treatment.
  • marstanley
    marstanley Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Make an appointment with a dietician instead. If you have your food dairy, they will know where you are going wrong. A doctor can't really help with that. In the US, a lot of insurance plans pay one visit a year even without a doctor's script.
  • EdieCl
    EdieCl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Ok, now we're getting down to it. Maybe a health issue, then? Or some other big thing in your life. I would go to the doctor if you're truly doing what you're saying with no results. There is probably an underlying reason. Diet pills, no....other forms of help, definitely. You CAN do it, no matter what. Have your moment of frustration and pity, and then get on with it.
  • Starbuck2020
    Options
    Yea I had put on about 20lbs from medication, but stopped those.
    I guess a lot of appointments are in order. :(
    The reason I had avoided going to a dietician or nutrionist is because I know right from wrong if you will. I don't always follow my own advice, but I have a lot of good advice to give myself.

Thanks for letting me vent a little on here again. It helps.
  • stepnehjones
    stepnehjones Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Have you tried changing your macros? Sometimes a little change up in protein/carb/fat percentages can get things moving. I was like you...plateaued for almost a year. Exercising like a fiend, counting every calorie. I stepped back from the intense exercise and started with the basics. The menu. I started with a 50/30/20 and it was like BAM! my body said....Oh ok, NOW I can work with this. The plateau broke and I've had a steady loss. I will bring back the exercise to it's previous intensity, but like others have said the diet has more impact and I wanted to get that dialed in first.

A trip to the doc might be a good idea just to make sure it isn't a health issue or thyroid problem.

Good Luck and don't give up!!
  • Starbuck2020
    Options
    Intersting. Thank you
  • letsgethealthy
    letsgethealthy Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Sorry you are feeling alone, you aren't. I've been struggling with my health and weight too. I trained for 6 months with a trainer two days a week but spent five days (1 hr ea day) in the gym and didn't lose anything. You have to find what works for you. It'll take some time to start losing weight because our bodies want to hold onto it in case something happens. Primitive starvation mindset that our cells have. Instead of trying to lose weight, concentrate on getting healthy. If you have to drink have 1 glass of red wine at night. If you drink sodas daily, try cutting down to one a week. You could be taking in too much sodium (salt) and that will cause you to retain water and weigh more. I wouldn't suggest weight loss pills either, don't really work. Good luck. If you want you can add me.
  • exist10z
    Options
    Really not that complicated. The whole point of tracking your calories and exercise (accurately!) is to help you meet your goals. If you aren't losing what you would like, there are just a few possible reasons. You are either eating too much and you know it (over the recommended calories to meet your goal), you are eating too many calories and you don't know it (aren't logging things properly or aren't logging everything - I prefer to overestimate calories if I have to estimate) OR you aren't exercising enough (for the amount of calories you are eating) or you are overestimating the amount of calories burned (I tend to attempt to underestimate calories burned if I am not sure). Or your inputs are incorrect, you input that your job keeps you very active and you naturally burn 2000 calories a day, when in reality it's not that active and you only naturally burn 1,500 for instance.

These things are really the purpose of this site/application: if the way you set it up is to lose a pound a week, then likely it's leaving you with a 3,500 calorie deficit, if you aren't losing a pound a week, but aren't going over your allotted calories, your inputs are wrong. If you are going over your allotted calories, well, then there's your answer. It's not that complicated.
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I use to never want to work out and if I did I would stop after a few days or maybe two weeks if I ws lucky.

I have been working out almost everyday for 4 months now. I hired a personal trainer in June. I take gym classes and train on my own as well. Huge lifestyle change right here. Love getting my workouts in. I can't remember what it was like to not workout for an hour a two at least 5 days a week.

I always ate pretty healthy, I just ate too much and drank too much and had junk food when I drank too much.

I cut the drinking down so much that it is nearly non existant most weeks. That also means a lot less crappy food. My portions are good.

The simple fact of working out where there wasn't exercise before should have made a difference. The simple fact of drinking less should have made a difference. The simple fact of eating less should have made a difference.

160 days of changing habits. :(

The emotions are from emotional disorders, but the exercise and good foo has kept most of the problems in check. I just struggle with it sometimes and use the wrong methods to deal ie food and drink.

Thanks for listening at least.

It is great that you are incorporating working out into your weekly routine, but the food is more important. Most of the time you won't see a loss on the scale when you start working out because muscle is being built and muscle is denser then fat, so the scale may not budge. It is about 80% diet and 20% exercise. You exercise to condition your body and burn cals but actual fat loss is going to come alot from the food you are eating. i know alot of people on here say you can eat whatever you want as long as you are in your cals, but maybe that isn't true for you, it definitely is not for me. I can eat completely in my cals, but if I am eating the wrong things, I will not lose. Everyone's body is different, and though you have made changes to your diet, the drinking and other no so good foods can be causing the problem. Especially if you are undereating as it is cal wise, and not giving your body enough cals to fuel it, alot of times when you eat something not so good, it will effect you in a not so good way.

i would check to make sure you are eating the right amount of cals and give it more time. Sometimes our bodies are super stubborn and no matter how hard you work, they want to hold on to everything!! But if you keep at it and keep improving your habits, your body will respond eventually and things should get better. You can't be impatient when it comes to weight loss. I have stalled out for weeks at a time, and though it is definitely frustrating, I know if I stop that i will just go back to where I was and lose all the progress I made. That is definitely not worth it!! Just keep pushing through and stay strong, the scale will cooperate eventually :)
  • Starbuck2020
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor for my calories burned.
    Have to get going now. Thanks to everyone for the time and consideration.
  • dhurrel
    dhurrel Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I also had issues losing weight, but Sensa really did help me and a few others I gave it to. It is all natural and has no side effects except for eating less and losing weight so good luck!!!
  • gazelleintraining
    Options
    When I drink alcohol, my fat loss seems to reduce to a crawl. You may want to reduce the amount of alcohol you take in even further. For me, too, once I have a drink, suddenly something decadent and cheesy and/or fried magically appears in front of me, followed by sweets later ;) Alcohol might be a trigger food for you.
  • chicfreak9
    chicfreak9 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Not alone, I've been the same weight on the scale for almost 2 months. I haven't lost and I've been good with food better at exercising but the pudge wont budge. my clothes are looser and people say i look good and to keep up the good work. I keep coming back to MFP coz i'm addicted to the numbers on my food and exercise logs, I keep hoping i see the pattern and make the break to finally start losing the pound again. only 25 pounds to go
  • thatsingingchick
    Options
    Diet pills may have worked for a few people, but that doesn't mean they are healthy. There is no miracle cure. If there was we'd all use it and the obesity epidemic would be over.

If you really do exercise consistently and eat within your limits than you should really see a doctor or a dietician, not a pharmacist.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Is 1200-1600 (logging everything, every bite, every sip) really too much to combat with daily exercise? I'm not eating 2500 a day and saying poor me I'm fat.

The weight gain was sudden and consistant. I didn't spend 10 years gaining 50lbs. It happened in months and I changed all of my habit to take it off and nothing is working. Hence the doctor appointment and feeling alone and misserable.

Yes I get it. I am pathetic and this sounds like a lazy I give up post, but I really am just struggling and frustrated. Sorry.

You've mentioned alcohol several times and it is a killer. You should open your diary and let people view to give legitimate advice. If you don't do that people can't really help you.
  • deniseblossoms
    deniseblossoms Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    If you really want to lose the weight stop drinking. At least until you get things rolling then reevaluate why you can/can't do without it.

and get a scale, measuring spoons and weigh everything. It's very easy to over or under estimate how many calories you're getting.

At the end the day your success lies with you.