Help needed: Blender advice and smoothie ideas

Options
davenportk83
davenportk83 Posts: 44 Member
I have recently gotten into making morning smoothies but my ancient blender bit the dust. For now my mom has been nice enough to loan me hers. So-o-o-o-o does anyone have suggestions for a blender that will chew threw ice, frozen fruit, etc. without burning up the motor. I have a friend that loves her Ninja, what do you guys think????

Also, share your favorite smoothie recipes to broaden my recipe collection.

Thanks!

Replies

• karrathachick
    karrathachick Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My blender is just a cheapie- a Breviile I think, doesn't always fully churn up the ice though. I'm hooked on my smoothies after my weights workouts and the secret ingredient is overripe frozen bananas!! It gives it so much sweetness without having to add any honey or artificial sweeteners.

Rough recipe:
    Ice
    Cup nonfat milk
    1/4 cup rolled oats
    a frozen banana
    approx 20g protein isolate powder
    and whizz it up- delish!
    Can add some water to make it a bit thinner if it's too thick, depends on the ice and size of banana etc.

Sometimes I add a teaspoon of linseeds or a dash of cinnamon to change it up. Am hooked on them, super nutritious after workout and they are yum!!
  • Southern_Belle89
    Options
    I'm really not sure of the brand off the top of my head cause I bought it at the PX here on base but it's great for me cause I'm the only one who drinks smoothies in the morning so I bought this thing it's a blender but it's like that bullet thingy but for shakes, smoothies etc....3 glasses come with lids so you can take it go. It's easy clean up cause it's a glass in itself.
  • jasonr1009
    jasonr1009 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I have a Vitamix. Its pricey but i bought mine refurbished with the full warranty. Its absolutely a beast at churning up the best smoothies!

My favorite is this :

1 scoop protein powder
    blueberries
    strawberries
    pineapple
    1 banana
    almond milk
    small amount of granola.

Its heavy like a brick in my stomach and keeps me full a while :)
  • sm423
    sm423 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have had my vita-mix for almost 8 years now and I love it. All my fruits are frozen when I blend them and they are always blended smoothly. I don't like chunks of ice in my smoothies, lol. However, they are a bit pricey.
  • Zainia
    Zainia Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I always try to add carrots or even lettuce/spinach (yes lettuce and spinach) to my fruit smoothies. They add some extra nutrients and volume and you really don't taste it.

Ice
    (Quick or Rolled_ Oats
    Carrots/Lettuce/Spinach
    1/2 Banana
    Strawberries (or other fruit)
    1 TBSP orange juice
    1 TBSP plain nonfat yogurt
    As much water as needed

I use the Magic Bullet for one person smoothies and it works fairly well.
  • T_X_L
    T_X_L Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    We have both a Ninja (low $$) and a Blendtec (high $$) and actually love them both. For $40 though, the Ninja is hard to beat.
  • cheaton13
    cheaton13 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Love my Ninja! My parents have Vitamix, which I would love to get but can't afford. I used the magic bullet for a while, but it never blended everything. I seemed to always have some chunks.
  • davenportk83
    davenportk83 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Great ideas, wouldn't have thought to include rolled oats in my smoothie. Cool.

I need to settle on a good protein powder to add to my smoothies too.
  • rawfull
    rawfull Posts: 178
    Options
    I have a Blendtec, I like it, but I prefer the Vita Mix, but I couldn't afford it.
    My favorite smoothie for taste and health is Kale 6 cups with 12oz water, blended very smooth, then ad a banana or 2 re-blend, then add 1/2 cup of frozen mango, and a 1/2 cup of frozen pineapple, and blend lightly, where there are small pieces of fruit left.
    Then enjoy... Kale will make your health improve...
  • heroyalslimness
    heroyalslimness Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I have a Blendtec, I like it, but I prefer the Vita Mix, but I couldn't afford it.
    My favorite smoothie for taste and health is Kale 6 cups with 12oz water, blended very smooth, then ad a banana or 2 re-blend, then add 1/2 cup of frozen mango, and a 1/2 cup of frozen pineapple, and blend lightly, where there are small pieces of fruit left.
    Then enjoy... Kale will make your health improve...

This sounds like the bomb-diggety. I'm a Kale-a holic
  • MSxJENNY
    MSxJENNY Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    You can't go wrong with Blendtec or VitaMix (I have Blendtec & my parents have a Vitamix). They are very pricey but worth EVERY penny.

I don't make smoothies, I just make a green drink which consist of spinach (6 hand fulls or fill the blender 90% of spinach) banana & frozen strawberries (10%) & of course water.

My sister blends kale, avocado, broccoli, & collar greens together (she's more of a health nut than I am).
  • suzu_2
    suzu_2 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Hard to beat the Ninja for the price. The thing I love the most is that mine has the big blender and the two smaller smoothie size cups with their own chopper blade and "to-go" sip lids. I rarely ever use the big blender and use the smoothie blender almost daily. Blends everything great. Very easy to use. I usually Pulse, then shake, then pulse again. As long as you blend well you will not have chunks. Chews up ice until it looks like snow.
  • suzu_2
    suzu_2 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have a Vitamix. Its pricey but i bought mine refurbished with the full warranty. Its absolutely a beast at churning up the best smoothies!

My favorite is this :

1 scoop protein powder
    blueberries
    strawberries
    pineapple
    1 banana
    almond milk
    small amount of granola.

Oh my - Will have to try that one!
  • efarester
    Options

My favorite is this :

1 scoop protein powder
    blueberries
    strawberries
    pineapple
    1 banana
    almond milk
    small amount of granola.

I also have a Vitamix - it is a beast at blending :)
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I love my ninja. I got it as a gift from my daughter for Mother's Day. That is the best thing ever. It grinds up even the huge ice cubes I make in trays
  • Ms_Lassie
    Options
    bump... definitely wanting to try some of these smoothie recipes!
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options

My favorite is this :

1 scoop protein powder
    blueberries
    strawberries
    pineapple
    1 banana
    almond milk
    small amount of granola.

I also have a Vitamix - it is a beast at blending :)
    Doesn't the vitamix cost $400 for the cheap model?
  • greenthickies
    Options
    I have a vitamix and couldn't live without it now. I have a smoothie website full of loads of healthy recipes if you want to have a look?

http://www.greenthickies.com