How much weight do you put on when you do squats?

Options
Hi everyone!: )♥

Just wondering what is the right weight to put on your squats to keep up metabolism, but won't build chunky muscles?

I'm doing 30kg now with 3 sets of 20 reps. Is it too low? Cuz I don't feel tense after it or should I do more reps?

Thanks. ♥♥

Replies

• MDWilliams1857
    MDWilliams1857 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    If you can do more weight, do more weight. Try a weight that only allows you 12-15 reps. Dont worry too much about getting "chunky muscles". Women lack the testosterone to really "bulk up".
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    If you can do more weight, do more weight. Try a weight that only allows you 12-15 reps. Dont worry too much about getting "chunky muscles". Women lack the testosterone to really "bulk up".

This ^
  • prettyvera
    prettyvera Posts: 27 Member
    Options

• LordBear
    LordBear Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    if im squating ..im hoping to lose wieght not put on weight
  • prettyvera
    Options
    if im squating ..im hoping to lose wieght not put on weight

Sorry.. I think my title is a bit misleading. I meant the weight you put on your squat, not on your body: )
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    And for weight, I usually put on 120kgs/265lbs for strength training or 100kg/220lbs for hypertrophy
    Squatting til you drop! And trust me, my legs are NOT bulky! =)
  • prettyvera
    Options
    And for weight, I usually put on 120kgs/265lbs for strength training or 100kg/220lbs for hypertrophy

WOW! that's lots of weight!!.. What reps do you do?: )
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options

I can't usually make it past 8 reps with my weights. I don't have the attention span for high rep work... So I am currently around 185 lb. Kind of plateaued a little :(
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options

For strength I do 5 sets of 5 reps, and for hypertrophy I do 3 sets of 10 =)
    I usually can not even walk day after legs day though... trust me :wink:
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    WOW! Some of these ladies are STRONG! Please don't start with 200 lbs on there. You need to be sure your FORM is really great first so you don't injure yourself.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    WOW! Some of these ladies are STRONG! Please don't start with 200 lbs on there. You need to be sure your FORM is really great first so you don't injure yourself.

^ Exactly.
    I have been doing weights for about a year now, started off with just the bar! 20kgs/44lbs
  • prettyvera
    Options

For strength I do 5 sets of 5 reps, and for hypertrophy I do 3 sets of 10 =)
    I usually can not even walk day after legs day though... trust me :wink:

Good job. I'm sure you can feel the after -burn for quite a while..
  • prettyvera
    Options

Spot on. My back is not the best so I guess need to keep an eye on that: )(*^﹏^*)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i'm up to 135 pounds now. i started off with just the barbell and it took a while with just that until i got my form perfect. i try to increase 5-10 pounds each workout

i do 5 sets of 5 reps
  • sweetsungirl
    Options
    *does Wayne's World "Im not worthy* Will you marry me? but srsly, I squat 135lbs (oly bar weight included) for up to 10reps per set. Yes, my legs are very muscular and I likes it that way!!! MOAR MUSCLE
  • paijing
    paijing Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I do 3 sets of 8 reps of 150lbs or so. It took a while to build up my strength. My legs definitely look better for it!

Always make sure you have your form right before you try to go up in weights. Keep those knees wide and hips straight!
  • prettyvera
    Options
    I do 3 sets of 8 reps of 150lbs or so. It took a while to build up my strength. My legs definitely look better for it!

Always make sure you have your form right before you try to go up in weights. Keep those knees wide and hips straight!

Thanks. That's good advice. I may consult some cute guys @gym when I do squats; )
  • prettyvera
    Options
    If you want to keep your metabolism up while doing 3 sets of 20 squats, do them while running on the treadmill.

I do treadmills for 60 mins every time I go to gym. But not sure how do you do squats on treadmills if that's what you meant?; )
  • sweetsungirl
    Options
    If you want to keep your metabolism up while doing 3 sets of 20 squats, do them while running on the treadmill.

I do treadmills for 60 mins every time I go to gym. But not sure how do you do squats on treadmills if that's what you meant?; )
    He's being sarcastic...
  • prettyvera
    Options

He's being sarcastic...

How &why.. excuse my dumbness... ⊙﹏⊙
This discussion has been closed.