trying to get my boyfriend to eat healthy! help!

Options
Hey my boyfriends likes his junk food, but I really want to get him to eat healthy. He usually buys his lunch at the bakery when he's at work, this consists of meat pies, fried food and a fizzy drink. He agreed to having home made lunches that are healthy, what can I make that is easy to take to work and isn't going to be a sandwich or a salad all the time?

Replies

• Catieb131
    Catieb131 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What I've been obsessed with lately is spaghetti squash or mashed cauliflower. Both are awesome! Just make it the night before and heat it up at work. You can eat a lot of it too and they only have a few calories as compared to either regular spaghetti or mashed potatoes.
  • lookitscaitlin15
    Options
    sounds delicious . I think i will try that :)
  • T_X_L
    T_X_L Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Most guys like thick stews and chili, especially in the colder months. With lean cuts of beef in the stew and lean ground turkey in the chili, it can be quite nutritious. Good place to add beans/lentils too. I'd invest in some good sealing containers that are microwavable and freezable. If you have freezer space, you can make larger batches and move it from the freezer to the fridge a day or two ahead of time to thaw. Easier to heat at work.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Most guys like thick stews and chili, especially in the colder months. With lean cuts of beef in the stew and lean ground turkey in the chili, it can be quite nutritious. Good place to add beans/lentils too. I'd invest in some good sealing containers that are microwavable and freezable. If you have freezer space, you can make larger batches and move it from the freezer to the fridge a day or two ahead of time to thaw. Easier to heat at work.

Yes on the containers. I buy the Ziplock or Glad containers that have screw-on lids. They will safely keep stew, soup, or whatever inside without the lid popping off during travel. They are perfect for meal-sized portions. I make turkey chili, pork tenderloin and rice, or stir fry and portion it all out in these containers to take to work.
  • bethygirlie
    bethygirlie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    My fiance' eats like a 5 year old on a binge. So I can relate. I have gotten him to switch his snacks a bit, kettle cooked chips instead of potato chips, and I got him to eat my grilled buffalo chicken burgers which he actually ate. It's all about substitution and finding things that are a bit healthier. Small steps.
  • lookitscaitlin15
    Options
    the stew and chilli thing sounds great :) i'm not sure how readily available turkey is here in new zealand, but I'll try find some of that :)
  • godzillaman2
    godzillaman2 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I would say don't push him, or make remarks about him being fat. I found when people told me that I really felt bad about myself, which made me eat more crap. That's just me, but maybe if you mention working out, or that you see his muscles getting bigger, he might kinda get the drive to work out himself. Food-wise I would say that I like to make omelets. You can eat them whenever, add whatever you want. I concur with whoever said stew as well.
  • MelbourneBelle
    MelbourneBelle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    the stew and chilli thing sounds great :) i'm not sure how readily available turkey is here in new zealand, but I'll try find some of that :)

I'm in Aus, and I find most turkey recipes work fine with chicken instead - I use the 'my recipes' tool to adjust the cals per serve.
  • lookitscaitlin15
    Options
    I would say don't push him, or make remarks about him being fat. I found when people told me that I really felt bad about myself, which made me eat more crap. That's just me, but maybe if you mention working out, or that you see his muscles getting bigger, he might kinda get the drive to work out himself. Food-wise I would say that I like to make omelets. You can eat them whenever, add whatever you want. I concur with whoever said stew as well.

ah its not that i want him to change, he wants to lose weight but he isn't a big healthy food fan :P
  • sharzbarz
    sharzbarz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I make George a sandwich every day (it takes me about 10 minutes to sort everything out in the morning). Then I add fruit and homemade yoghurt and a few snacks and thats him for the day. I also give George leftovers from dinner the night before too if there was a bit left over. Doesn't take much to heat and eat something :D

Hope you can get your man to eat better lol
  • SausyK
    SausyK Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate. My boyfriend has the "Domino's" Pizza App on his Ipad and know where the "two for Tuesday" deals are, he's also trying to stop smoking so that's a challenge to eating healthy in itself. I've tried not eating with him when he makes poor options like KFC or Crisps. I don't say anything I just leave the room (more for myself, to be honest). He's gotten a lot better since I've lost some weight, I guess healthy competition. We cook alot more in the house these days, and if he's having lunch at work, he's trying to have lean meat sandwiches on grain or whole wheat bread or get a meaty salad from the deli.