Options
2»

Replies

• laurenashley923
    Options
    sounds delicious! cant wait to try :)
  • apjackson
    Options
    Okay, so I'm new the site. Trying to find healthy recipes for my new lifestyle! I read this earlier today and made it for dinner. Acutally, I'm eating while I post, omg this so delicious! Even my kids and hubby like. Thanks for sharing! We added jalapenos for a little kick.
  • MereBear_81
    MereBear_81 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I love stuffed bell peppers. I use my crockpot to make them though. I mix up the filling (without cooking it...I use either extra lean ground beef or turkey with brown rice for the bulk of the filling), stuff the raw peppers, and set them in the crockpot and cook on low 8-10 hours. They come out perfect.
  • sdirks
    sdirks Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    BUMP! Sounds delish....
  • VLCD
    VLCD Posts: 7
    Options
    I too grew up learning to make them the EASY way --- (without having to pre-cook anything & only 1 bowl gets dirty!)...
    =========================================================================
    We'd mix the following: Filling Prep:
    --lean hamburger - 1 pkg lb
    --minute rice - 1 cup
    --red kidney beans - 1 can
    --diced white onions (or even faster - the diced freeze-dried kind in the spice section - sprinkled in..)
    --salt, pepper, a generous sprinkling of Lowry's seasoning and a few hot pepper flakes

''Scrunch" it all together w/ clean hands in a bowl and stuff the peppers 3/4's full...

Pepper Prep:
    Use any colored pepper you like, wash, core out the stem (cut a hole in the top while leaving the rest of the pepper in tact)
    Scoop out the seeds w/ a teaspoon. Carefully slice of a tiny bit off their bases to ensure they can sit upright by themselves w/o falling over (but don't cut too deep - don't want the filling to drain out the bottom!); place peppers into a baking dish.

Topping/Sauce Prep:
    Open a large inexpensive (can) of chopped tomato sauce, add salt, pepper, garlic (if desired) then pour over the top of all the peppers (filling the tops of them) and pouring the rest around the base of all the peppers sitting upright in the baking dish.
    Salt/pepper, season tops w/ any other seasonings you have in the pantry (parsley or basil, a dash of paprika, etc. as desired) and pop into the oven for 45 mins @ 350'.

After they come out of the oven, they'd be placed on the plate and sliced 1/2 way down the front (slightly laid open as if filleted) and then the left over rich n' thick tomato sauce was poured over the top n' down the front of it.... Along side it was a nice fluffy mountain of white fluffy mashed potatoes.... to eat w/ each bite of the stuffed pepper mixture...

Substitute the meat w/ (ground turkey to reduce cal & fat slightly)... but, knowing how yummy the extra lean beef is -- I'll probably leave this alone in order to retain the original intent of the taste. :wink:
  • mikeandbrandie
    Options
    Sounds great. I will make these this weekend.