Major NSV!

Options
If you had asked me 6 months ago, or even 3 months ago, if I would spend $140 getting fitted for running shoes, and soon be running over a mile, I would have thought you were nuts! Well I have done just that, I have gone through most weeks of couch to 5k, got to the first 20 minute run, and have now decided I like the straight longer runs rather than a series of intervals. Yesterday I ran 1.25 miles. I couldn't even finish the mile in high school! Today I decided to try a 3k fun run, 1.87 miles, and bettered my pace! I feel unstoppable! I have not been losing very much weight, but, I am losing inches as I my muscle increases from strength training. I feel amazing. Even if I never reach that slim figure that I want, I feel super healthy and energetic (even with a defunked thyroid!).

Replies

• mama4loca
    Options
    Good for you! Keep it up- one of my friends was overweight and started running.And hasn't stopped! She's now doing marathons and looks fabulous. I hope I get to that level soon:)
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    aww wow :drinker: thats AWESOME !!!! i loooooooove how posotive you are!!!! you are amped!!! lol right on!!
    that is a lot of $$$ for running shoes.. but you are worth it.. and will love running that much more now!! and good to have real good support also!!! congrats... I cant wait to run longer.. right now i fast walk and run "mailbox to mailbox'... I miss the running for longer stretched!!! I did cross country my freshman yr .. and jogged for exercise from them till my early 20's .. then gained a lot of wt during a unhappy short marriage.. and havent gone real jogging in 5-6yrs!!!! grrr but im gettin there...
    stay posotive and muscle/inches is basically the same as loosing wt just in a different measurment then pounds!! :bigsmile:
  • madisoneads
    Options
    That's awesome! I have never really been a runner, but I think I'm going to start. It seems like some of the best overall exercise. And I too have a ****ty thyroid. I feel your pain sister!
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    Congratulations!

The feeling of running that first mile, the first one in your life, is amazing! I will never, ever forget a few months ago, my own astonishment to have run a mile. Just wait till you do your first 5k! xxx
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Great job, keep up the enthusiasm!

I was feeling the same way too, got up to 4 miles (in intervals) and then now I am having serious knee issues, so I have to set running aside for a few months (boo!) but what can I do?! I also know a lot about thyroid that is for sure!
  • AliJelliBelli
    Options
    That's amazing, well done you! Really a fantastic achievement.

I too started running recently (august) and am a proper convert - love love love it. Couldn't run at school, have never really done any exercise before and now I'm running 5 to 6 km 3 times a week. It's amazing how quickly your body gets the hang of this exercise malarkey.

i've been quite surprised by my non-runner friends (in real life, not my MFP friends) - a lot of them have been quite sneery about it. Especially my overweight friends. Maybe I was vainly expecting them to be motivated in a 'if she can do it...' kind of way. Maybe I've been evangelising... ;-)
  • lombrica
    lombrica Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That's awesome... I'm doing the C25K program now. Was so intimidated by Week 3 that I repeated week 2 a time, or two, or three... Ha! I was looking ahead and can't imagine running for a solid 20 minutes - knowing how I've felt in the first few weeks. But? I did W3D1 and kicked my own expectations... this post of yours has inspired me even more to get through this program!

Congrats, congrats, congrats!
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Well done and congratulations:drinker: :drinker:

C25K got me going too, did my second 10k last Sunday although im aching after the run im hooked and adicted too it now :bigsmile:
  • oohmercyme
    oohmercyme Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Congrats :)
  • angela1700
    angela1700 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everyone!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!