Why wont my weight budge

Options
2»

Replies

• LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    You can't expect miracles in 5 days! You need to give it AT LEAST a full week, probably 2 to see a difference. Your 2 day binges are undoing any good work those 5 good days are doing and keeping your weight stable, without those good days you'd be gaining.

The weight didn't go on in 5 days, it's not going to come off in 5 days.
  • Desmonema
    Desmonema Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you try paleo diet. It's more a lifestyle change and has helped a lot of people that were not able to loose weight previously. As it is hormone and insulin-regulating, it really helps to repair problems with the metabolism even when your getting older. Maybe try to do a whole30 (30 days without any sugar or processed foods), works wonders for many people.
    Best of luck!!!
  • Lisalovesdisney
    Options
    I was doing pretty good on my diet and exercising, and the scale did not budge for 3 weeks. I kept at it and dropped 2 pounds this week. You are going to have to be more stubborn that the scale.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Not trying to knock your efforts or anything

But I find that when I am not honest with myself, and maybe "forget to log, or underestimate the calories" and maybe over estimate the fitness the weight dowsn;t move

All too easy to stcik in 500 calory burn and a two pieece of cucumber between lettuce for lunch and getting the well dones, great jobs and high five from everyone here

But the mirror, scales and wasitline don;t lie
  • mskittenheels
    mskittenheels Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    i am completely with you, i stick to 1200 or below and i never move in fact i tend to lose a pound then gain a pound. i am getting really disheatened as well.

if you find something that works please let me know

thanks
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    First, don't get discouraged, get determined. I can't see your diet and activity log, but it is possible that you are sabotaging yourself. Especially on the two days that you go off plan. I'm in my mid 40's and I can tell you it is definitely harder to get the scale to budge as I get older. But, I have begun looking at getting fit in a whole new way. The scale is one piece of it. More importantly I want to be fit, healthy and strong. Being consistent with exercising, really challenging myself every day is a win. I'm focusing on making healthy choices every day that I can live with. Use MFP, log everything you eat and drink, drink lots of water, and move your body every day. It will help jumpstart your metabolism so you can get the results you want.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Some good advice on calorie intake, but really, you've got to start thinking longer term. Stop thinking about it in terms of days, and grammes. Losing fat takes time, especially as you get older. Try to work out a way of eating and lifestyle that doesn't feel too restrictive, but feels like something you could continue forever, even if you weren't trying to lose weight. If your diet isn't too restrictive, then you'll be less likely to want to "cheat" or "fall off the wagon". Accept that you might not see changes in a week, and just carry on. Weight loss isn't linear. I can sometimes not lose anything for a couple of weeks and then all of a sudden drop two or three of pounds overnight (which is quite a lot now at my weight.)

There are no quick fixes to weight loss, you've got to put in effort somewhere along the line, and then be consistent. Nearly everyone that loses any significant amount of weight has moments where they feel frustrated and wonder if it's worth it. What makes them successful in the end is that they don't give up.

If weighing yourself is getting you down then why don't you leave it a few weeks before your first weigh in? Make sure you take measurements and photos too, so you can track your progress better.
  • stephienmatt
    stephienmatt Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi Sarah,

When you say really good 5 days a week but bad for 2 , how bad is bad? If your only eating a chocolate bar and a glass of wine you could factor that into your allowance at a weekend and still lose weight, however if your eating takeaways and chocolate and bottle of wine then thats what will either gain the weight or make you stay the same.

Im speaking from experience when i say that being good 5 days and (in my case) stuffing for 2 will only serve to undo whatever good work you did in the first five days! Im trying now to spread out my treats through the week otherwise I find that I reign myself in too much then when i do have something naughty at the weekend it quickly turns into a binge fest!

Im just starting out on this website but feel free to add me am happy to offer support, together we can get to our goals :) im about to make my food diary public as well as at the moment ive kept it private but now im fully committed (and am not having secret binges) i feel confident to open myself up to criticism!

Im following a low calorie diet but am using slimming world as a rule of thumb, as i did that before and it worked very well for me, im trying my best to stick to the protein days as the easiest weight loss I ever had was when i followed the dukan diet (a less fatty version of atkins) Yesterday I ate under my calorie allowance but felt too full to eat another bean! Today I may go over, but I know what im eating is all home cooked healthy meals with no added fat so if i go over a little im no too fussed. Its the not beating yourself up about things that really counts when were trying to lose weight, after all were only human and chocolate tastes good!! :)
  • alie5612
    Options
    Some good advice on calorie intake, but really, you've got to start thinking longer term. Stop thinking about it in terms of days, and grammes. Losing fat takes time, especially as you get older. Try to work out a way of eating and lifestyle that doesn't feel too restrictive, but feels like something you could continue forever, even if you weren't trying to lose weight. If your diet isn't too restrictive, then you'll be less likely to want to "cheat" or "fall off the wagon". Accept that you might not see changes in a week, and just carry on. Weight loss isn't linear. I can sometimes not lose anything for a couple of weeks and then all of a sudden drop two or three of pounds overnight (which is quite a lot now at my weight.)

There are no quick fixes to weight loss, you've got to put in effort somewhere along the line, and then be consistent. Nearly everyone that loses any significant amount of weight has moments where they feel frustrated and wonder if it's worth it. What makes them successful in the end is that they don't give up.

If weighing yourself is getting you down then why don't you leave it a few weeks before your first weigh in? Make sure you take measurements and photos too, so you can track your progress better.

^^^ this is what i am going to remember mine is very slow i got down for my wedding then it slowly came back finding it hard now but dont weigh very often not worth the sadness not seeing any change but must carry on i can do this and will
  • Cartha12
    Options
    To lose 1 lbs of fat, you need to burn 3500 calories. So basically you need to consume 500 calories a day less than you burn.

So if you are maintaining a 1500 calorie intake per day, then you need to be doing a min of 30-45 mins exercise a day too.

I was 278lbs before Easter, when I decided to change my life style and eating. I lost 14 lbs in 2 months, but not doing much exercise. I decided to join a Gym and go every weekday lunchtime and do a min of 30 mins cardio, either running or x-trainer.

I now tip the scales at 225lbs, so I've nearly lost 4 stone (3 of which I've lost in 3 months since joining the gym).

It really isnt hard as long as you do some excercise every day. Even going for a 30 minute walk at night would help you.

Good luck
  • Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Right I've redone them for you!

BMR - 1531
    Activity Level - 1.15
    BMR x AL - 1761
    Daily Exercise Burn - 129 cals (this is based on 3 x 45 mins sessions a week of dancing, walking and a step class)
    TDEE (BMR x AL + Daily exercise burn) - 1890

-10% = 1701 cals
    -15% = 1607 cals
    -20% = 1512 cals

Like I say, if it was me, I'd go with 10/15% reduction....you need to give this a few weeks but stick to it! I'd also be aiming for at least 10 glasses (250ml) of fluids a day too, more so when you do exercise!

I'll rejig your calculations now....
    The dancing I do for 45mins 1 x a week, the walking is for 45mins 1 x a week and I do a step class for 45 mins 1 x a week.
  • MonkeyBars
    MonkeyBars Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'm 42, I was 41 when I decided to drop 12kgs (I wanted to drop a weight class).
    I've always been very active & the weight dropped off whilst keeping my muscle mass.
    I aimed to drop 1lb a week, I was dropping over 1kg a week.

I reduced from my BMR 2250 to 1850 in the first 3 weeks, then down to 1700 in the next 3 weeks.
    I always ate my exercise kcals too!
    Once I hit my target, I also removed grains from my diet and feel more energised.

Currently I'm on 2250 + eating my exercise kcals!

I'm currently trying to maintain 82kgs, sometimes I drop below 80kgs and ramp up my kcals, other days I bump at 85kgs and then just follow the targets on MFP!

I try to consume 40/40/20 (protein/fat/carbs) - [meat n 2xveg, protein bars, recovery shake]!

I exercise 3 times on a Monday & twice a day for the rest of the working week.
    On the weekend, I normally exercise once or twice a day.
    I have a rest day once every 7-10 days.

Most days I consume 3500kcals.
    I have a blowout day once a week where I may even consume over 4500kcals (no limit)!

I've had a few friends train with me for 6 weeks at a time and watch what they ate (MFP kcal counting). They've dropped the grains, drunk more water then usual, had a blowout day once a week, did the rest day every 7-10 days and ALL of them have had their body composition change significantly!

It is not an age thing. It is an effort thing initially. Most people think they cannot go straight into a program like this. It is possible. Intensity is the key. Whilst my friends were not as strong, fast & agile as me at the start, at the end of the 6 weeks, everything had improved. They were amazed. All of them have been extremely pleased! The hard thing now is seeing if they can use their new found vigor to continue on their own!

Good luck! Best wishes and if you need someone to ping you and get you going, friend me :)
  • bev0l0
    Options
    You are a very sweet lady Sarah, Thank you so much, I do appreciate your effort and I will certainly try your suggestions....
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Hi to whoever reads this...... I am really battling! What happens with me is I try to be really good for five days straight, stick to the 1500 calories that I am allowed and don't lose one single gram!!! I then get sooooo despondent and EAT!!! This pattern repeats itself week after week. Why am I not losing weight initially to help boost my confidence to stay on the healthy eating. I know it is stupid but it is a mental thing. My Mom, My sister, My friends all seem to lose weight so easily and I get so demotivated and then angry that I can't lose, self destructing. I have got 13kg's (28 lbs) to lose and in the past I have been able to lose weight. I will be 40 at the end of March and I would love to be able to lose the weight by then :sad: I really really need motivation please.......... Nobody thinks I can do it, especially ME

Hi - lots of great advice here already.

I totally understand where you are coming from. I am also trying to lose 28lbs and am heading for the big 40 next year! (but in January) and would like to have at least lost 14lbs by then however I am not losing any weight and I know exactly why - I good 4 or 5 days and then sabotage my efforts at the weekends by drinking too much alcohol.

On the advice of a personal trainer, who did all my measurements/BMR/Body fat etc I have set my goal to 1400 calories which is just above my BMR. He told me not to eat any less than this and on exercise days eat back some of my calories (if not all) and I should lose weight. This means that I am often eating between 1600 and 1700 cals a day. I have also made the decision to cut out alcohol from my diet for at least 2 weeks to get things kick started again and to get rid of the habit of weekend drinking! He also advised drinking 2-3 litres of water.

I've sent you a friend request.

Good luck

xx:flowerforyou:
  • SP2Bfit
    SP2Bfit Posts: 114
    Options
    I am wondering if you are eating so much on your binges when you eat that you are sabotaging all the work you do during the week. Check out the article below--I get articles sent to me from sparkpeople.com...sounds like this may apply to you:

Can You 'Cheat' on Your Diet and Still Lose Weight?
    An article worth sharing: from Sparkpeople.com

"Cheating" is the act of deceiving others or being dishonest. The word conjures up images of copying someone else's answers during an exam, fudging your taxes, or counting cards. Needless to say, these are not positive activities. But does the same negative connotation apply to a cheat meal (or day) for a person on a diet? Can "cheating" on one's diet be beneficial—even fun—or is it just setting the stage for dieting disaster?

As a registered dietitian, I am often asked about cheat meals and cheat days. Usually the dieter seems to be asking the question out of desperation. He or she often mentions feeling obsessed and exhausted of counting calories. "I want to have a cheat day once a week where I can eat whatever I want without worrying about my calories," they often say. "But will this cheat day hurt my weight loss?" In other cases, people eat so "clean" (i.e. perfect) on their diets that they simply can't keep up with it day in and day out. They feel that they "need" a cheat meal or day to look forward to and keep them accountable to their strict diet all the other days.

I think everyone would agree that even though it has been documented to help people lose weight, daily calorie counting is a big pain in the butt. You have to read labels, measure portions and keep track of so many details. Food selection is constantly on your mind. Focusing so much on calories makes it easy to get into the trap of trying to eat a strict diet of "good" foods, then falling off the wagon and overeating the "bad" foods you tried to avoid. Your vocabulary and thoughts are consumed with extremes: good foods vs. bad foods, cheating vs. being good, restricting vs. overindulging. It is easy to see why you'd want to "cheat" on a system like this. But is cheating on your diet really the answer?

Scientifically speaking, "cheating" has not been studied enough for me to give you a clear-cut answer on whether or not it works in the short-term or the long-term. However, the science of caloric intake, as well as the psychological implications of cutting and counting calories, has been extensively researched. So let's explore what we do know and apply it to the idea of cheat days.

"Calories in vs. calories out" is the golden rule for effective weight loss. To lose weight, a person must eat fewer calories than he or she burns. Let's assume you are cutting a total of 3,500 over the course of a week to lose 1 pound. In this example, your daily calorie intake is about 1,200-1,500 calories. (Calculate your daily calorie needs for weight loss here.) Say you choose to eat right in the middle of your recommended range: 1,350 calories per day. How would an innocent "cheat" day affect your progress?

Scenario #1: On your cheat day, you indulge in a few extra sweets or treats and take in 2,500 calories total. This brings your daily average to 1,514, which is still within your weight-loss calorie range. Therefore, you should still lose weight for the week.

Scenario #2: On your cheat day you eat anything and everything you've been craving: a fast food value meal, potato chips, a milkshake and some buttery popcorn. You take in 4,000 calories. This brings your daily average to 1,729, which is over your weight-loss calorie range. Therefore, you will probably maintain your current weight for the week.

This simple example illustrates how a cheat day can easily derail your weight loss efforts. If you eat with reckless abandon and no real plan (or calorie counting), as in scenario #2, you'll stall your weight loss. But scenario #1 shows how the occasional higher calorie day can still fit into a weight-loss plan when it's properly planned and somewhat controlled. Planning for that little indulgence on occasion is easier than you may think and uses the weight loss technique that I call "calorie banking."

Your Calorie Bank
    The banking of calories works in a similar fashion as your checking account or debit card. For example, if you invite your main squeeze to dinner and a movie on Friday, you have to make sure you have the funds to cover your outing. So you save a few extra bucks Monday through Friday, therefore providing sufficient money in your account to spend on the evening out. Now, apply the same principle with the calorie banking. By eating at the lower end of your recommended calorie range Monday through Friday, you can accumulate a few more calories to spend on your Saturday splurge day, while still remaining within your weekly budget when you take the average for the seven day period. While this gives you more calories to spend on your special day, it still requires planning. This works because a single day of calories (whether low or high) won't make or break your weight loss. It's the overall trend—or weekly average—of calories that affects changes in your body.

Better than Cheating: How to Remain Faithful to an Eating Plan You Love
    If you feel the desire to cheat on your diet, it may not be your fault. Your diet—or your view of how you "should" or "need to" eat to lose weight or be healthier—is the real culprit. If your diet is so restrictive, plain, boring, tedious, or "perfect" that you can't stick with it forever, then try these smart strategies to bring your eating habits back to normal.

Start embracing all foods. Remember that no single food causes weight gain. Weight management is based on total calorie intake—not the restriction of certain foods, ingredients or food groups. All foods can fit into a healthy eating plan. Instead of thinking about foods as being "good" or "bad," change your food language.
    Instead of saying "This is a bad food," say "This food has a lot of calories; if I really want it, I will have it in moderation."

Instead of saying "I cheated," say "I ate more than I wanted to, but that happens to everyone once in awhile. It is normal and I won't beat myself up over it."

Instead of saying "I was bad," say "I ate more calories than I intended, but I am in control now."

Start to enjoy those "off limits" foods in smaller portions. Slowly incorporate food you once considered "bad" into your eating plan. Don't be discouraged if you occasionally eat too much of a food that you once considered "off limits." If you are used to eating large quantities of a food, it may take practice to moderate your portions. To help, savor every bite and take your time eating. Make snacks last at least 15 minutes and stretch out your meals to last at least 30 minutes. Do not eat out of packages. Make food special by putting it on a real plate or bowl and using silverware. Limit distractions and enjoy your food without watching television or using the computer.

Socialize and enjoy. Enjoy once "off-limit" foods in the company of others. This may help you avoid over-indulging, which is easier to do when you are alone. When you are in a restaurant with companions, order what you want, not what you "should" eat. Savor every bite and enjoy it slowly. Stop eating when you feel the first signs of fullness. Don't feel that you must clean your plate. If you have difficulty eating certain foods in small amounts when home alone, practice eating safe portions in safe places where you are less likely to overeat.

Overcoming the Desire to Cheat
    I have a friend named Patrick who had smoked for more than 30 years and finally decided to quit. The next time I saw Patrick, I said, "I hear you've quit smoking. How's it going?"

Patrick sternly looked me straight in the eye and said, I did not quit smoking, for I am not a quitter! I chose to not smoke!"

What a powerful statement that you can apply it to your weight-loss journey as well. You are not a quitter! You are not a cheater! If you feel the need or desire to "cheat" on your diet, it may be worth examining your relationship with food and whether you're actually taking steps to leave dieting behind in favor of adopting a healthy eating plan that you can live with for life. The idea of "cheating" tends to reinforce the concept that certain foods are "good" in your mind while others are "bad." This idea is hard to break if you've been on and off diets throughout your life, but it's not impossible. The healthiest eating plan—and mental outlook—is to embrace all types of foods and never to feel guilt, remorse, embarrassment or discouragement about the foods you eat. Taking proactive steps to ditch the "diet" mentality can reduce your anxiety and obsession with food and help you avoid out-of-control binges that derail your weight-loss efforts.

Source

Kushner, Robert, MD, ''The Swing Eater Handout,'' in Dr. Kushner's Personality Type Diet (New York: St. Martin's Griffin, 2003).