Calculating calories in homemade Greek/strained yogurt

Options
I feel like this may be obvious, but I tried Googling and couldn't figure it out. I make 1% yogurt at home, but it is quite thin due to the lower fat content. As such, I strain the yogurt so that it's thicker (and tastier). I know that Greek yogurt is better than regular yogurt due to the protein, fat, sugars, etc., but I can't seem to figure out how to calculate the exact calories in my homemade stuff because most of what is available is for Greek yogurt that's 11% or Greek yogurt that's fat-free. Help? Thanks!

Replies

• Kitiara47
    Kitiara47 Posts: 235
    Options
    Since it's homemade, did you try making a recipe under the food tab? You can add all the ingredients you used and it will calculate for you.
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Is your recipe totally NON-FAT? If so, you might try to contact FAGEusa at: By Phone or Fax:

Call 1-518-762-5912
    Fax 1-518-762-5918
    9 a.m. to 5 p.m., eastern time,
    Monday through Friday

I buy the large container of FAGE non-fat, plain at Costco now instead of getting the individual flavored ones already prepared. I try to keep berries (blueberries, raspberries, dark cherries, blackberries) in the freezer in little zip lock sandwich (individual serving sizes) so I can toss some with the yogurt into my little magic bullet blender. I add pure vanilla, Truvia and cinnamon. It beats cheating on ice cream all to pieces for me. Because it's high protein, I don't get hungry.
  • clrrrr
    clrrrr Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    That won't help her with the removal part of the process...I'd say just treat it as normal 1% strained yogurt by the ounce. If you think you're being thorough. Or you can weigh the whey that gets strained off and subtract that from the nutrients of regular 1% yogurt.
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Whole milk is 4% fat. I'd start with a FF Greek Yogurt as the basis of the entry, then note how many grams of fat are in a Whole Milk Greek Yogurt and divide by 4. Add the corresponding number of fat g/calories to the non-fat entry (9 calories per g of fat). Hopefully this makes sense...
  • kskroch
    kskroch Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Yogurt is very easy to make - I use 'Euro Cuisine Automatic Yogurt Maker' - you can find it on Amazon, this company also has a good culture.

I have access to a family farm so I can get real, whole, raw milk. I was wondering how to count the calories also.
  • rowdylibrarian
    rowdylibrarian Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rlt2005
    Options
    I'm having the same issue. We made yogurt in the crockpot with whole milk (only bc we feared anything less wouldn't be thick enough, as store bought yogurt is made with whole milk) & used a greek yogurt starter. & we still had a lot to strain off of it. So much so that it took several hours to strain completely. I haven't the slightest clue on how to figure my calories. I'd really like to know bc it's one of my favorite snacks.
  • blackiris49
    blackiris49 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    If you know the values for the original/starting yogurt, measure and compare the starting weight/volume to the final weight/volume.
    If starting = 500g and final =250g you know to just valuesx2 etc. This is assuming that the drained whey/water itself has no nutritional values!
    Is this right?
  • reptilegrrl
    reptilegrrl Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    No, it isn't right: whey drained off has protein and sugars itself. It is not just water.
  • Brunner26_2
    Options
    fage and chobani have 2% plain, make yours approximately between 2% and fat-free.
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Ok, I did this myself just yesterday!

It is very confusing, but will be worth it.

Calculate total calories and macros in the tub of yogurt you used based on the label and the weight it says on the packaging, and figure out how many servings you get out of one package. I got 11.5 out of mine, based on the serving size the label suggested.

Get the nutritional info for liquid whey. I got it from self nutrition data, the non sweetened one. Measure out how much total liquid whey you have left over in cups, and multiply by quantity that is given on the website (I believe if you go with the one I used, it is per 1 cup. I got 2.5 cups out of mine, so that would be for instance 53.5 calories x 2.5 cups, and do this with all the macros you want to track).

Subtract calories and macros you calculated above for whey from your original yogurt calculations. Then devide the totals by how many servings you get out of a tub.

Measure out how much strained yogurt you have total, and devide that by how many servings you get out of the original tub, this will give you the amout that one serving is. My original yogurt was a 175g serving, after I strained it, it was 74g

I hope this all made sense.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I make 2% yogurt in the crockpot and it comes out thick and creamy. I use Fage 2% plain on my diary. i know its not exact but i kinow its close so it works for me.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I make 2% yogurt in the crockpot and it comes out thick and creamy. I use Fage 2% plain on my diary. i know its not exact but i kinow its close so it works for me.
    I do this, except I use Chobani for my diary entry. Meh, it's close enough.
  • elitegifts2001
    elitegifts2001 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So after searching and searching for a way to caculate my calories for my homeade greek yogurt...with no luck. finally came up with this and I think its got to be pretty close!

I add up my total calories that I start with.
    example: one gallon 1% milk. 16 servings x 110 per serving = 1760.
    one small container fat free plain greek yogurt = 100

total start= 1860

after the process/ straining whey. measure the whey that is discarded. I strained about 8 cups of whey from my yogurt.

whey is 59 cal. per cup x my 8 cups = 472

take your beginning calories 1860 - 472 for the discarded whey= 1388 caloeies left

now, there is 1388 calories in your batch of greek yogurt.

I divided my batch into one cup servings and I had about 9 cups so divide calories!

1388/9= 154 calories per cup! if course everyones will vary depending on what type if milk you start with and how long you drain it...but its pretty easy to calculate :)
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Bumping, as I am considering purchasing a yogurt maker. (I eat so much yogurt, and I'm curious about making it at home.) I was wondering how to calculate the calorie and macro content of a homemade yogurt.

Thank you to elitegifts200 for doing the legwork on the process for determining the calculation.
  • mom24uk
    mom24uk Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    bumping for later :)
  • Amestris
    Amestris Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later use
  • shall724
    shall724 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    So after searching and searching for a way to caculate my calories for my homeade greek yogurt...with no luck. finally came up with this and I think its got to be pretty close!

total start= 1860

after the process/ straining whey. measure the whey that is discarded. I strained about 8 cups of whey from my yogurt.

take your beginning calories 1860 - 472 for the discarded whey= 1388 caloeies left

I divided my batch into one cup servings and I had about 9 cups so divide calories!

1388/9= 154 calories per cup! if course everyones will vary depending on what type if milk you start with and how long you drain it...but its pretty easy to calculate :)

BUMP
  • ereckless82
    ereckless82 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    shall724 wrote: »

total start= 1860

I followed This exactly for my 1% homemade Greek yogurt that I've been making for almost 2 years now. I get about 6 6ounce portions from my batch (using 7.5 cups 1% milk and a couple of ounces of starter from my previous batch). It only comes out to about 2.8 g fat and 41 calories per serving. Nuts!
  • ohiotubagal
    ohiotubagal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Bumping to save