Crisis - worldwide bacon shortage on the horizon

Options

Replies

• jonward85
    jonward85 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Not around here... I've got pigs in my backyard :)) Bacon all winter long!

This.

Sucks to be all of you!

Im on this one as well....pigs nearby...and at family's houses....BACON FOREVER!
  • krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310
    Options
    I work for a pork company... and we're definitely seeing some hard times! :(
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Ha ha ha ha ha! Serves you carnivores right!

The world needs more vegetarians and vegans like you.

More bacon for the rest of us!
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options
    Maybe I better become better friends with that pig farmer down the road...
  • Sahara0815
    Options
    WAH! I'd rather have one slice of good ol' pork bacon than 1,000 slices of turkey bacon. KMN. :mad:
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Ohhhhhh! So THAT'S what the Mayans meant. XD
  • estherdfoster
    estherdfoster Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    maybe no bacon is good thing..less fat..who knows, US will finally not be the fattest place lol
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    My breakfast will be slightly less heart diseasey. Whoo! No temptation!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    maybe no bacon is good thing..less fat..who knows, US will finally not be the fattest place lol

We'll find something else to eat. I have a hankering for pumpkin cookies...
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    The End is Nigh: Britain’s National Pig Association Says ‘Unavoidable’ Global Bacon Shortage on Its Way

The impending global pork shortage first reported two weeks ago is now "unavoidable," according to a press release from Britain's National Pig Association.

Lack of rain across North America and Russia has wreaked havoc on crops — particularly corn and soybean, which is what pig farmers typically use to feed their livestock.

"New data shows the European Union pig herd is declining at a significant rate, and this is a trend that is being mirrored around the world," reads the trade group's statement. "Pig farmers have been plunged into loss by high pig-feed costs, caused by the global failure of maize and soya harvests."

The result: By the second half of 2013, the NPA estimates pig slaughter will be down "by as much as 10 percent," which in turn could lead to the doubling of pork prices across Europe.

The Chicago Tribune notes that American warehouses saw record-high pork supplies in August due to herd trimming by farmers looking to save money on pig feed.
    http://gawker.com/5946156/the-end-is-nigh-britains-national-pig-association-says-unavoidable-global-bacon-shortage-on-its-way

What will become of our breakfasts? :sad:

LOOKS LIKE IT'S EGG WHITES FOR EVERYONE
  • RunnerBlonde808
    RunnerBlonde808 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Not the bacon! aaahhh!!! What is this world coming to?? : (

Hey, it's not the fat that is making the nation fat. I eat bacon every day!
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Think I will buy a new freezer and stock it full of all my favorite meat.
  • LordByproduct
    Options
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
  • Patovader
    Patovader Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    This made me think of the Simpsons and LOL!

Homer: Are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?
    Lisa: No.
    Homer: Ham?
    Lisa: No.
    Homer: Pork chops?
    Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal.
    Homer: Heh heh heh. Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal.
  • zippo32
    zippo32 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    WTMF..............that is a nightmare!
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Giant wild hogs are migrating further into Oklahoma so it is only a matter of time before they arrive on my land and I can start getting my bacon for free. A guy about 45 minutes south of where I live killed an 800 lb wild hog last year. Hopefully if I get one it will only top out at around 1100 lbs as I just have a small tractor.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Not around here... I've got pigs in my backyard :)) Bacon all winter long!

This.

Sucks to be all of you!

ditto...All of a sudden the world doesn't just see Iowa as a fly over country! Its shame you have neglected us all these years.
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Time to get a new pig I think!! The hens will just have to get used to the new house mate :-)
  • Sherylmarlee
    Sherylmarlee Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Just had two slices this morning after hearing this on the news. They were telling everyone to "pig out now while you can", lol

Lol!!! Bacon is its own food group I tell ya! Love me my bacon!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Can't they feed the pigs something else? I thought most family farms fed the pigs leftovers from dinner. Always led me to believe that pigs would eat anything.