Is there any Low Carb Sushi :(

Options
*Sigh* I Love sushi but have been very successful losing wait by doing low carbs. I'm not a fanatic, I allow myself treats- but I treated myself a little too much yesterday lol, so I need to do well today; I'm craving sushi but I'm pretty any sushi will ruin my low carb day. Any thoughts???

Replies

• fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Seared Ahi style tuna is the best! With wasabi and soy soy sauce for dipping.
    It is the only one I know without rice.
    I have been having that quite a bit lately. My brothers and I split 17 fresh tuna we caught in the Gulf Stream. Doesn't get fresher than that. :bigsmile:
  • vickyfw326
    Options
    Wow 17 lol
    hmm interesting, I'll look into it :) thank you!!
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    why not order a plate of sashimi?
  • jeditemple
    jeditemple Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My local Kroger makes sushi with brown rice, so I've tried that on occasion (they make it on demand). It's pretty good and provides an alternative to white rice. I usually don't eat more than 12 small pieces anyway -- and when I do, it's a reward for eating good all week. I haven't noticed any bump or weight gain when I eat it. Now, if I've been really good, I'll go to my favorite sushi restaurant and annihilate a plate of Rock n' Roll sushi. :)

But for now, sushi is off the menu. My wife is pregnant and can't have it, so I'm on a sympathy diet with her.
  • DeTaart
    DeTaart Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I make my own "sushi wraps".
    Buy some seaweed sheets - aka nori wraps - they're about ten sheets for £1 at my local asian supermarket.
    Roll up with sushi ingredients and slice. Just leave out the rice! The key is to include some kind of moisture so the seaweed sheet is malleable.

examples:
    smoked salmon and avocado
    tinned salmon, mayo and cucumber
    crabmeat, spring onion and iceberg lettuce
    chicken katsu, iceberg and mayo

Bulk them up with lettuce or any shredded veggie instead of rice. Use some mayo, wasabi or tiny bit of soy along the edges to seal the wrap. Slice.
  • jenshoeee
    jenshoeee Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Ask for brown rice in your sushi.
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Anything "naruto" is wrapped in cucumber instead of rice.. try that!! I LOVE it! Some sushi places also offer "low carb rolls".. one of my local favorites has one named exactly that- and it's full of delicious fresh fish and no rice. I would check out local menus online and see what each place has to offer!

Edited to add: a lot of places will also sub out seaweed wrap for rice (usually for a small upcharge).
  • vickyfw326
    Options
    i love salmon and avocado and spicey tuna..... both terrible for u :( I've never really tried anything else
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    i love salmon and avocado and spicey tuna..... both terrible for u :( I've never really tried anything else

Not necessarily terrible- yes tuna and salmon are "fatty" fish, but they offer good fats, with omega-3's and loads of health benefits to go with them. Avocado is also offers good fat- it's all about moderation. Now, if you're a spicy mayo fiend, you might be in a bit of trouble :-)
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options

All good for you. Salmon, tuna and avocado have good heart healthy oils in them. and yummy too. :bigsmile:
    Avocado mixed with wasabi on tuna or some nice smoked salmon. Good stuff.
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Ask for brown rice in your sushi.

There is no difference in the amount of carbs in brown rice vs white rice.
  • gddrdld
    Options

Fatty fish and avocado are both top "super foods" for health...Whatever gave you the idea they were "terrible"?
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Is brown rice low carb now? I've been using it to hit my carb goals.
  • gddrdld
    Options
    NO. Brown rice didn't all of the sudden become low carb...Are you serious?
  • ipag
    ipag Posts: 137
    Options

Salmon and avocado is probably one of the best rolls you can get. Spicy Tuna not so much...
  • vickyfw326
    Options
    lol no no I'm a wasabi fan all the way lol
  • vickyfw326
    Options
    LoL bc there's so many carbs.... I like low carb foods. They're my friend.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Anything "naruto" is wrapped in cucumber instead of rice.. try that!! I LOVE it! Some sushi places also offer "low carb rolls".. one of my local favorites has one named exactly that- and it's full of delicious fresh fish and no rice. I would check out local menus online and see what each place has to offer!

Edited to add: a lot of places will also sub out seaweed wrap for rice (usually for a small upcharge).

Thanks! My family loves sushi. I'm going to have to pay closer attention to the menus! I'm not sure I've ever seen "naruto" mentioned. Do you have to ask for this option?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Sashimi=low carb. It's just raw fish.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    What reason does it need to be low carb? -_-

Either way "Sushi" means vinegared rice. So... No?