confused

Options
I have a calorie goal of like 1467 a day. Generally I come in under every day, I will sometimes go to 1500, but not usually. But I exercise almost everyday and that adds calories to my goal. Should I really go by that. If I don't consume that calories that I burn during exercise, I am probably only totalling like 1200 or less. Is that bad? Should I be eating more?

Replies

• rileya
    rileya Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yes you should definitely be eating your excersise calories back...otherwise your body goes into starvation mode and it will hold on to everything. I started eating my extra calories and have been losing 1lb per week.
  • Cassia
    Cassia Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    check out the "newbies read" section. It will have a lot of answers and reasons for the answers for your question
  • fozzy33
    Options
    I dont even know if this is right....MFP has my calorie intake at 1563 a day....this is with me putting in I want to lose 1.5lbs a week...

I read a very good article and Im not sure if its accurate it was in Oct 09 issue of Women's Health. It said that your base calorie intake should be your weight X 11

Well I weight 173 and according to this my intake should be 1903.....now if you add in exercise on average I burn 650 calories a day...now add that to my base calories which would be 2553.

I eat around 1900 a day...I do not eat my exercise calories back. Some people say you should...some say you shouldnt. I wish someone would answer this for me LOL :-)

Michelle
  • hmr1117
    Options
    The above comment is a good estimate but I would think that it would be your 'goal weight' * 11 because you are not going to lose much weight at least not quickly eating 2500 calories a day...at least that is my experience. Determining what is too low for your body also depends on each person...if you are already only alloted 1400cal a day from MFP I wouldnt go much lower than that...so I would eat the exersize calories or at least some of them...when you are already somewhat thin or not 'obese' it snt very healthy to lose weight very quickly, not that it is healthy to lose weight quickly ever but when you are obese you have more weight to lose and sometimes lose it faster....jmo!;)

on a side note since MFP is a public site I would say that it is most likly a good basis for what you should do and eat to lose weight and stay healthy...and thus far it has worked well for me...in almost 3 weeks I have lost 5lbs and I have MFP set for 1lb/week....so its got something right ;)
  • jenlhugg
    jenlhugg Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice!