obvious foods to avoid??

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I eat Indian at least once a month. I would have the other things, too, but they aren't foods I love and I'm veg.
  • Farburnfred
    Farburnfred Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Sugar.. ESP refined sugar
  • gissalm
    Options
    Please add to my list, I never realised I ate and drank so much junk before

Beer
    Burgers
    Fried chicken
    Chips (fries)
    Crisps (potato chips)
    Chinese takeout
    Indian takeout
    Cola, dr pepper, red bull, lucozade

All of the above and Candy, flour, cakes, anything fried, pasta, ice cream! and as much as you can fast food ... there is a reason why we are on a diet, right? so these foods are the ones that got us in trouble, it's very hard to avoid 100% so if you must have it, have half and log it! i can guaranteed you don't like it as much when you see how many cals has cost you....

I do agree that you can make a healthy burger at home, and there are pretty decent ones out there too, you just need to find them and make the better choices, you can have the burger, take one of the breads off, no mayo, no cheese, with that you already took off 200 - 300 calories .. i think that if you eat homemade food you have a better control of your diet, you know what you put in the food

if you are just starting make better choices; crave soda? have a sparkling water like Izze it will satisfy the crave without so many calories and is better for your belly; chocolate? have a piece of dark chocolate; Ice cream? make a sorbet with ice, frozen fruit and equal or have a weight watchers bar 80 - 100 cals; Burrito? make your own at home with flat out bread (90 cals) black beans, chicken, lettuce, tomato, avocado, and pico de gallo .. you can make the food you like healthier by switching to healthy ingredients .. good luck :wink:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If by avoid you mean limit, then I would agree with most of your list. It's completely possible to make a healthy burger that is not high calorie and I don't see a point in limiting that.

I only try to avoid foods with trans fat. But I try to limit (eat occasionally) foods with high levels of saturated fat, added sugar or overly processed carbohydrates.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    These are the only things:

Anything you are allergic to
    Anything that you have an intolerance to
    Anything that is a trigger food and you can't control yourself well around.
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Processed sugars/starches... at least this is what I try to do.
  • 100lbstoloosefemale
    Options
    Please add to my list, I never realised I ate and drank so much junk before

Beer
    Burgers
    Fried chicken
    Chips (fries)
    Crisps (potato chips)
    Chinese takeout
    Indian takeout
    Cola, dr pepper, red bull, lucozade

heres a list of better choices of these
    beer- MICALOB ULTRA- 90cal 2.6carb
    burgers-lean turkey burgers
    fried chicken-baked , grilled chicken
    chips-baked chips, rice crackers
    chineese-home made chineese,,, use whole grain rice,, no breaded chicken, use lots of veggies and can use low sodium soy
    indian takeout-home made,, curry powder little oil-olive oil
    cola-WATER y ummmmmmmm,lol
    redbull- if you want energy,,,sleep more,, workout!

lol
  • 100lbstoloosefemale
    Options
    no kfc!!!!!!!!!!!! theres nothing at all healthy on the menu
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I'd say the obvious ones to avoid are the ones you have a hard time eating in moderation. So it's different for everyone. I can't have cheese in the house because I always eat too much.

^^This. For me it's pizza. Greasy cheesy pizza. So I keep frozen Newman's Own or California Pizza Kitchen thin crust pizzas in the house for when I'm considering ordering something nasty.

That's a GREAT idea. Never thought of it but I have the same problem - LOVE pizza and always end up ordering it on a whim.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Obvious foods to avoid:
    Trans fats
    Anything you are allergic or have a sensitivity to
    Anything that you don't like
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I eat Indian takeout all the time. Chicken tandoori is the s***
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    The only foods to avoid are the foods you do not like and the foods which you cannot eat in moderation.

There is only one thing I avoid: Mt. Dew

I cannot stop at one can. I have to have all the cans of green goodness. So, no Mt. Dew for me, because I cannot control myself.

Everything else (chocolate, ice cream, pasta, pizza, burgers, etc) are still included in my diet as they fit in my calorie goal. I give my body the fuel it needs to perform and improve, but I also give my mind the junk it wants sometimes.

Win-win.
  • thechubner
    thechubner Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I would say if you have a peanut allergy - avoid peanuts
    If you're diabetic - avoid sugar
    If you're lactose intolerent - avoid dairy

but unless there is a medical reason not to eat a certain food or certain food group - it's good to give yourself a little wiggle room within reason

Foods I generally avoid (but eat at least a few times a year)

Fast Food
    Pizza
    Chinese Takeout (unless ordered from the "Light Steamed" menu)
    Things with excess sugar
    Things with hidden sugars
    Things that claim to be healthy but really have no nutritional value so are essentially empty calories (I'm looking at you nutragrain bars)

Etc - other than that if I enjoy it I try to never say never. I'm not a fan of peanutbuter so even on my cheat times I'm not going to have a bag of Reeses Peanutbutter cups - but I might sneak a Hershey with Almond bar :)
  • pauljanet
    pauljanet Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    These are on my hit list!
    1. Any fried. food.
    2 Red meat, but thats because I'm just not a fan really.
    3. Baileys n Ice... this one is very hard to resist , I dont drink any other alchohol.. but I could deffo drink a bottle of the stuff
    3. Chocolate..very easy as I just dont eat chocolate, strange this, seeing as my favourite is the dreaded Bailey's!

Could add a few more more if I put my mind too it though.. lol
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I eat edamame nearly every day.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    trans fat. the end.

this.

transfat and soy......

i almost came in to post "the only thing I wouldn't do would be sitting down with a tub of crisco"

other than that, I'll pretty much eat anythigng.

What's wrong with soy???

Nothing unless you have an allergy or intollerance or eat too much of it.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/protein-full-story/index.html#soy

•Eat soy in moderation. Soybeans, tofu, and other soy-based foods are an excellent alternative to red meat. In some cultures, tofu and soy foods are a protein staple, and we don’t suggest any change. But if you haven't grown up eating lots of soy, there's no reason to go overboard: Two to 4 servings a week is a good target; eating more than that likely won't offer any health benefits and we can’t be sure that there is no harm.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I still drink beer occasionally but I just try to drink light beer and I only have one or 2 when I do, and I make turkey burgers on whole wheat buns which makes avoiding the real thing not so hard.

I avoid any restaurant that doesn't have a decently healthy option on their menu, and there are LOTS that fall into that catergory!
  • 2S_1R
    2S_1R Posts: 171
    Options
    It's okay to have a F***ing cupcake every once in a while, folks. Let's be real... the reason most of us fall off the bandwagon is because we get rid of ALL of the food we love. Every Friday, i let myself have something fatty, and it keeps me going. Disagree or agree. :)
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    don't agree with burgers, beef is muscle fuel! beer in moderation. i'd say add liquor though. whiskey puts me over my calorie goal by almost a thousand every time. work hard, play hard ;)
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I'd say the obvious ones to avoid are the ones you have a hard time eating in moderation. So it's different for everyone. I can't have cheese in the house because I always eat too much.

THIS! There's nothing that you "obviously" have to avoid unless you're allergic to it. There is nothing that I won't allow myself in moderation. That being said, there are things that I prefer not to buy because I tend to overeat them when they're readily available but that's a matter of portion control.