HRM and calories burned

Options
I had surgery a while back and have not really been doing much in terms of cardio for the last 6 weeks. Over the last couple of days, I have been starting to get back into it. Well this morning I decided to go out and buy an HRM. I set it all up and then went out and tried to stay between 75 and 85% of my maximum heart rate. I usually attained that by walking at a brisk pace and then when I tried to run, after about thirty seconds it would shoot up between 90 and 95%.

I have two questions for any of you that has a little more experience:

1) Once I was done, after an hour, it stated that I burned 925 calories. Is that possible by mainly walking?

2) Is there a danger being close to your maximum heart rate % for a long period of time?

Thanks.

Replies

• Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Does your HRM have a chest strap? I had one w/o the chest strap and it would give wildly crazy readings like that.

I went and bought the polar FT4 then I had to adjust my HRM for my personal settings. found my personal rest rate and calculated my low & max intensity rates because it was much higher than the "stock" settings for my age/weight.

If you are in fact using a chest strap then your settings are likely off unless you walked at a brisk pace for quite some time. I need to run several miles to get readings like that.
  • kaztaz55
    kaztaz55 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I did have the chest strap on. I will do some research to try and find out what my maximum is based on my current rest rate.