Success stories for mommas who exclusively breastfeed

Options
dawniee
dawniee Posts: 143 Member
I liked to know when thiis weightloss journey started for those who have been successful....i'm 2 months postpartum and all i see the scale doing is going up and down ...i had the initial big loss and ive pretty much GAINED OR LOSS THE SAME FEW POUNDS SINCE! I log what I eat and i eat very good.....I workout almost everyday for at least 45 min ....I'm at a loss?!...i only gained 25lbs with this pregnancy.....this was my 4th baby....all the others i gained 50 lbs...lost it all but only after i stop breastfeeding...Ive lost 15lbs after this last baby was born and can't seem to drop anymore !! I'm so frustrated as many of my friends seem to be losing while EBF so I'm looking for WHEN did you start to see the scale to go down consistantly?
Any help would be great! Thank you!

Replies

• runningfor2
    Options
    This is exactly what happened to me! I only gained 20lbs with my pregnancy (I am petite, 1st pregnancy) and lost everything but 8lbs the first week post-partum. I did what you did... fluctuated 2-3lbs up and down for 2mths after my initial weight loss from having her! I was at a stand still with NO additional weight loss and sometimes weight gain. I have been working out 5+ days a week and counting calories since 5weeks post-partum. Now that she is 3mths I have finally lost 4lbs... but it seems like it took forever!!! Still have 4 or more lbs to lose. So my advice would be to keep going and see if you notice anything at the 3mth mark. Hopefully you will! I wish some one would have warned me about this... but NO one did. And I was getting really sick of every one telling me how much weight I would lose from breast feeding... when I was GAINING weight back at times!!
  • unhgoose
    unhgoose Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have only empathy, not advice. With both my girls I only gained about 15-20 pounds, but I couldn't get off more than a couple pounds of weight until I stopped breastfeeding. With my first any time I reduced calories at all (even a safe approved amount) my supply would drop off. I had a little more luck with my second born because she was a bad sleeper and nursed much more- so my supply was steadier and could handle me cutting calories a little better. But I think my body just holds on to any extra fat while I'm nursing. The second I stopped nursing I had a lot more success with my weight loss efforts.

Good luck and I hope you find a balance that works for you. I HATE the popular belief that "nursing makes the weight just fall off."
  • sjob7
    Options
    My son is almost 7 months old. I started trying to lose weight when he was about 3 months. It's only in the last month that my weight has started going down.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I liked to know when thiis weightloss journey started for those who have been successful....i'm 2 months postpartum and all i see the scale doing is going up and down ...i had the initial big loss and ive pretty much GAINED OR LOSS THE SAME FEW POUNDS SINCE! I log what I eat and i eat very good.....I workout almost everyday for at least 45 min ....I'm at a loss?!...i only gained 25lbs with this pregnancy.....this was my 4th baby....all the others i gained 50 lbs...lost it all but only after i stop breastfeeding...Ive lost 15lbs after this last baby was born and can't seem to drop anymore !! I'm so frustrated as many of my friends seem to be losing while EBF so I'm looking for WHEN did you start to see the scale to go down consistantly?
    Any help would be great! Thank you!

There are some stories of women who did just this, and their audio interviews. You can read and listen to them for free. The Venus Index, transformations and contests. I didn't achieve my goal until well after my kids were grown at age 50. I wish they had the internet back when I was having kids!
  • zsafavian
    zsafavian Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I can commiserate. I exclusively breastfed my daughter for 6 months and am continuing to breastfeed her at 16 months now, although she eats a lot of solids. To compound things I was taking domperidone to help with my supply, and that makes it very hard to lose weight. I would say that at about 11 months when my daughter was eating more solids I finally was able to start losing weight, albeit very slowly. I am now below my pre-pregnancy weight at 16 months post-partum, but I only saw the scale start to move downward at about the 13 month mark.
  • lovelyrose11
    lovelyrose11 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I am currently pregnant and concerned about this as well (I am due in December and so far have only gained 12 lbs). I do have friends on here that have been quite succesful while breastfeeding. Their advice was to eat between 1600-1800 calories (after deducting breastfeeding cals) and workout for 60 mins 5 days a week. This is the plan I am going to stick with and hope for the best.
  • xnikkixsikkix
    Options
    I have no advice either, but I can sympathize. I breastfed for 16 months, and gained weight during that time. After my daughter turned a year old, I started going back to the gym and lowered my calories and lost nothing. It's been 9 months since I started back at the gym, and 6 months since I stopped bfing, and only now have I started losing weight (albeit at a snail's pace) after seeing a doctor.

I do know plenty of women who lose zero weight while breastfeeding, but once they wean the weight just falls right off. My friend was 30lbs overweight after her son, and once she weaned him she dropped it all in a matter of weeks, so that may just be what's happening with you.

Best of luck, I'm sure you'll get where you need to go.
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Your body is designed to hold onto fat stores while BF. That way during times of famine you had reserves with which to survive and feed your baby. It's a biologic response. My advice, cut back on the exercise some, eat a bit more and be patient. You won't be bf forever. Treasure this time without stressing about losing weight.
  • Elainaf
    Elainaf Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. My son is 7months and breastfeeding. I have lost all the weight I had gained during the pregnancy now I am trying to lose the weight from my previous two pregnancies. I have been trying since May and have only lost 15 pounds very frustrating. I see other people losing 30 pounds in four months. I have gotten to the point where I don't even add my breastfeeding calories and my workout calories. I really hope the rest comes off when I'm done breastfeeding we shall see in four months.
  • sammyjo0402
    sammyjo0402 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    My son is almost 6 months old now and I still nurse him.. I only gained about 20 lbs becoming pregnant but I didn't really take notice of or began to try to lose weight until the end of August. I had already naturally lost the weight I gained from being pregnant for the most part honestly, but I started Insanity on Aug.27th really wanting to look good and get into shape. Obviously a program like that will bring some results but in any sense. You burn calories nursing. Depending on how often and the duration you do nurse affects how much you burn but if you're exercising regularly and eating good foods maybe you're not eating enough? I haven't checked to see if your diary is open or anything.. Do you feel hungry throughout the day? If you don't already try eating five or six smaller meals that evenly break down to equal your daily caloric goal. Obviously drink plenty of water.. apart from all of that just keep at it. Nursing really shouldn't affect your ability to lose weight in that... you shouldn't be holding onto your weight "just because" of that.
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I can only report my story and my son is now 42 yo so...but after I delivered I breast fed exclusively. By 6 mo. he was drinking from a cup and only nursing at bedtime but I have to say I ate like a horse and never was without my water. My pre pg wt was 120 lbs and at delivery I weighed 160 lbs but by the 6 mo mark I weighed 115 lbs. No exercise except taking care of a baby and home. If I had known how many calories I would burn nursing I would have signed up to be a wet nurse haha. Not sure why you would be gaining while breast feeding unless you are not eating enough?
  • Sambo004
    Sambo004 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I can't offer too much reassurance either. I BF my LO until 1 year (when she self-weaned). I couldn't drop a single pound. I was horribly depressed about my weight. I dropped the initial 8 kgs quickly and then the second 8 just stuck. In fact I gained 2 more! I can't say that the weight just dropped off either. I had to work my butt off and count every calorie, stick to 1200 cals a day and it took me 8 months to finally lose the weight. But I did, and it was slow, but it did come off, bit by bit. Nothing while I breastfed, but it finally all came off and then some once I stopped. I'm now 4 kgs lower than my pre-preggy weight :happy:

I watched all my friends lose all their weight within weeks of having their babies. I felt awful! But I knew that I was doing the absolute best for my little girl, and that meant more than the weight. You are doing a great thing, and it will come off eventually. If you put in the work.
  • mojolo7
    mojolo7 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Your body is designed to hold onto fat stores while BF. That way during times of famine you had reserves with which to survive and feed your baby. It's a biologic response. My advice, cut back on the exercise some, eat a bit more and be patient. You won't be bf forever. Treasure this time without stressing about losing weight.

THIS!!!!
    I bf my twins until they were 9-10 months old, and somewhere around their 6-month birthday I hit my lowest weight of the last 5 years. They just sucked the fat right out of me! But for the first few months your body is supposed to hold on to the fat, so you can share it with the baby. Enjoy this time and don't stress about it. You're not supposed to have your pre-baby body back in the first 2 months! You'll get there when your body is ready. (Also, sleep deprevation can cause you to hold on to pounds. I don't know how you're sleeping, but a little extra rest may help your body recover and lose, and that will also come as your baby gets older.) Good luck!
  • HarlowS
    HarlowS Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I gained 50 lbs with my third pregnancy. My son will be 11 months tomorrow and I have lost a little over 60 pounds while EBF. Without counting calories and exercising, I would still be sitting with all that weight. While I am still working on the "baby weight" I gained with my first two sons, I am definitely in a better place. Another thing is that I do not stress about it. LIke the pp said, be patient. Know that you are not alone...many of us mommas struggle with dropping those pesky baby pounds.
    Congrats btw on your 4th babe! :smile:
  • dawniee
    dawniee Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    thank you ladies for ALL your input! I eat a ton!!! I eat when Im hungry my calories fluctuate all over the place depending on how hard my workout is or not...so usually 1800 to 2200 calories a day and drink pretty much drink the ocean everyday hahahahah so i know it's not those things..i ve got a ton of milk so from what i've gathered from all your input is the eventually iscomes off and that my impatients is the problem...ALTHOUGH im sure my lack of sleep is definatley a culprit in the lack of losing...This is my last baby so I'm in no hurry for her to grow up...I'm enjoying my time with her it would just be nice to be able to AT LEAST fit into my fat pants so i can throw away happily all my maternity clothes!!! As far a working out...THAT IS NOT GOING TO STOP....my body is already having incredible benefits from excersises.....i did take my measurements so at least im shrinking even though the scale isn't budging! I just hope that when I hit 3months postpartrum my body will start to let go a little!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!