Would you class sugarfree squash as water

Options
I can't drink just plain water, but I drink at least 4 litres of sugar free squash everyday, would you class this as your water intake?

Replies

• pauljanet
    pauljanet Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Not sure, but at a guess I would say yes, I do sometimes drink flavoured Volvic Water and I would count this a water intake!
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    i don't count anything but water as water but i drink a LOT of water so i don't really keep track of my water. on an average day i have at least 100 ounces of water. that said i really enjoy the taste of water.

here is what the mayo clinic has to say on the matter. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • Maddalen101
    Maddalen101 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I count all liquids toward my intake, be they coffee, soda, fizzy water, iced tea, etc. (I don't like the taste of tap water where I live, so tend not to drink it.)
    If you want to be sure some of your liquid intake is water, you might want to find a brand of bottled water that you like, and drink a bottle or two of that instead of the squash. The fewer chemicals you have in your body, the better you will feel!
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    LMAO!! I was like WTF...Sugar Fee SQUASH! Then realized it was a drink and not the food. Total blonde moment. lol I think it would be ok as long as that's not your only source of liquid. Try adding some sort of flavoring to your water like Crystal Light or Mio. Maybe even fizzy water if you like it.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. 99.9% of it is water, and there's nothing in it that would cause the water to not be processed by your body, so you're good.

You might (or might not!) find that replacing some or all of it with straight water or at least less-sweet liquids might help with cravings for sweet and might possibly help with weight loss. Depending on what sweetener is used to replace the sugar, there may also be other side effects that may interfere with weight loss.

But in terms of hydration, if it's liquid, it counts. If it's got caffeine or alcohol in it, I wouldn't recommend it as your PRIMARY source of liquids, but even beer and regular coffee can easily count toward your daily water intake. But you might want to add just a little extra (a glass or two a day) to offset the diuretic effects if you drink more than half your water in the form of coffee and/or beer.

Only when you get into hard liquors or espresso will the diuretic effects of the caffeine/alcohol start to significantly reduce the benefits of the water.

However, it's darned near impossible to overconsume water. So if you want to offset every cup of coffee with a glass of water, you aren't doing yourself any harm at all.

Or you can simply check urine color. Pale yellow or clear = you're good.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Sugar free squash????
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I only count water as water.
  • MsTT80
    MsTT80 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I count sugar free squash as water as like you I can't drink water on it's own. I do however log tea, coffee and any other drinks I have during the day.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    The real question is do you count water as sugarfree squash
  • HMToomey
    Options
    LMAO!! I was like WTF...Sugar Fee SQUASH! Then realized it was a drink and not the food. Total blonde moment. lol I think it would be ok as long as that's not your only source of liquid. Try adding some sort of flavoring to your water like Crystal Light or Mio. Maybe even fizzy water if you like it.

Same :blushing: LOL
  • TK1983
    TK1983 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! It's all I drink as well. Orange & Mango is my fav!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Sugar free squash????

This. And how do you get that sucker through a straw??
  • nas061
    nas061 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Yes - absolutely

(I suspect "squash" for a drink is a UK only term)
  • TK1983
    TK1983 Posts: 9 Member
    Options

It's an English thing :)) We don't have crystal lite or mio here unfortunately! It's pretty much just water flavoring. :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. 99.9% of it is water, and there's nothing in it that would cause the water to not be processed by your body, so you're good.

You might (or might not!) find that replacing some or all of it with straight water or at least less-sweet liquids might help with cravings for sweet and might possibly help with weight loss. Depending on what sweetener is used to replace the sugar, there may also be other side effects that may interfere with weight loss.

But in terms of hydration, if it's liquid, it counts. If it's got caffeine or alcohol in it, I wouldn't recommend it as your PRIMARY source of liquids, but even beer and regular coffee can easily count toward your daily water intake. But you might want to add just a little extra (a glass or two a day) to offset the diuretic effects if you drink more than half your water in the form of coffee and/or beer.

Only when you get into hard liquors or espresso will the diuretic effects of the caffeine/alcohol start to significantly reduce the benefits of the water.

However, it's darned near impossible to overconsume water. So if you want to offset every cup of coffee with a glass of water, you aren't doing yourself any harm at all.

^^this.
  • nas061
    Options

It's an English thing :)) We don't have crystal lite or mio here unfortunately! It's pretty much just water flavoring. :)

This ^^^
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I can't drink just plain water, but I drink at least 4 litres of sugar free squash everyday, would you class this as your water intake?

Yes. If it has any calories, log those in the food section, but it would still be nearly all water so I'd log it there too.
  • nas061
    Options

If clear then you're drinking too much
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I am still picturing someone drinking a squash.

AND.....I only count water as water.