400 calorie fast food meal ideas

Options
Hi everyone - I am sure I am not the only one who travels a lot for work and often ends up with fast food as my only option. Lately I have been trying to compile a list for myself of fast food meals that are about 400 calories so when I show up somewhere, I don't even have to think about it, I know some options that I can order without over indulging. Here's my short list so far. Any other good ones I should know about?

Chick-fil-A
Chargrilled chicken sandwich w/honey mustard sauce packet, medium fruit cup = 405 calories

Potbelly
TKY on skinny cut wheat bread no cheese w/ lettuce, tomato, pickle, onion & mustard, cup of spicy black bean & roasted tomato soup = 440 calories

*Note - I only order unsweetened iced tea, so I don't add any calories to my meal with my drink.

Replies

• bkibbs
    bkibbs Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    For breakfast: McDonalds Egg McMuffin and unsweetened iced tea: 305 cal

FYI, they load of on sodium in pretty much any fast food place, so you'll have to watch for that in your macros.
  • funsteps
    funsteps Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    McDonald's Southwest Chicken Salad is 390 with grilled chicken and dressing. 290 with no dressing. Sometimes I add a side of apple slices, bringing the meal to 405.
  • hoosier124
    Options
    I hear you on the sodium part. Thanks for the tip!
  • hoosier124
    Options
    Yum! I have never ordered a salad from McD's. I will have to try that one. Thanks! LOVE the side of apples. I always pick those up wherever I can get them!
  • lauralind5
    lauralind5 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    McMuffin with only half the muffin (i take off hte top, thats a savings of 80 calories)
    Wendys sells their salads in a half portion
    Wendys to go wraps
    Hardees chicken strips 3 are less than 300 calories

Most places have a better choice. But like a previous poster said, they all have a lot of salt.
  • 80lbslost
    80lbslost Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Taco Bell's Fresco menu is under 400 calories or Mcdonald's premium grilled chicken sandwich is 350 cal or their grilled chicken wraps.
  • 2012Brenda
    Options
    Traveling and short on time? Go prepared. I had one today. I bought an individual one at Wal-mart but guessing you could get it at most random grocery stores, drug-stores, ect. Also good for the chocolate and PB cravings.

Supreme Protein bar 30g 9/25/12 - Chocolate Peanut Butter Wafer Crunch

Servings: 84 g 1 g
    Calories 400 Sodium 200 mg
    Total Fat 19 g Potassium 135 mg
    Saturated 12 g Total Carbs 25 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 1 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 8 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 30 g
    Cholesterol 15 mg
    Vitamin A 30% Calcium 10%
    Vitamin C 20% Iron 10%
  • goofylove89
    goofylove89 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Dion's half Greek salad without croutons is 180....you can add one piece of cheese bread also about 180. Then I dip my salad to minimize the dressing and add in about 30 more calories all together about 390. Sometimes I just get the salad....and use spray dressing for only about 185.
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Popeye's Chicken & Biscuit's Louisiana Leaux menu
    Subway Sandwich's
    Taco Bueno - Bueno Choice Menu
    Pizza Hut 12" Fit & Delicious pizzas range from 150-180 calories per slice
    Fazoli's has an under 400 calorie menu

If you look up a lot of the restaraunts, most of them will have a nutritional value menu. The ones that don't, you maybe able to email and ask for one. I would print them off and put in a binder to keep in the car for reference.
  • downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Panera has some good salads! The turkey harvest one and the chicken cobb with avocado - both under if you leave off the dressing or only use some of it.

I also get Mission Burrito bowls and use shredded lettuce instead of rice.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I second the fresco menu @ Taco Bell, and ironically enough, the fresco has more flavor!

I am currently eating a Wendy's 1/2 salad, apple pecan chicken with the pecans & dressing, 340 calories. Plenty filling and yummy =)
  • JenRLo
    JenRLo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My favorite at McDonalds that fills me is:

Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette (no croutons) and a Fruit & Yogurt Parfait: 363 cals, 9 g fat, 31 g protein, 825 g sodium (yikes!)
  • lizboquist
    lizboquist Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    you can never go wrong with subway! And they have a breakfast menu as well! Also, Wawa has tons of healthy low calorie options that aren't high in sodium like other fast food options.

Most fast food places are making their nutritional values of food easily accessible now, which is helpful :)
  • asasser2002
    Options
    Bump to read later for ideas! :)
  • mgoetsch1982
    mgoetsch1982 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Subway has a lot of choices that stay under 400 calories but you have to watch the sodium! All of their meats (other than the oven roasted chicken) are super high in sodium. I either get the oven roasted chicken on the 9 grain wheat with no cheese, tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, and green pepper. Sometimes I'll add light mayo but it depends on what my calorie intake has been for the day. Most of the time I can have it and not worry. You can also go to subway's website and see how the nutritional content will be for any sub with the toppings of your choosing. So you can see exactly what a slice of cheese will add!
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I just traveled for the last five days and if I am in the same place two or more days, I will go to grocery store and buy prepared salad in a bag, a lemon and some vinegar and oil and make my own dressing.. I carry a rubbermaid container to shake my salad.

I always have fresh fruit in the car, and I pop popcorn in my air popper and pack it in zip lock bags or bring ricecakes and eat those to "FILL UP".

Then if I have to grab a meal, I can usually afford to stop in real restaurant and eat at bar, OR stop at on Thruway and grab a burger naked, and eat only half of bun with mustard!
  • Cherbear67
    Cherbear67 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I second the fresco menu @ Taco Bell, and ironically enough, the fresco has more flavor!

I am currently eating a Wendy's 1/2 salad, apple pecan chicken with the pecans & dressing, 340 calories. Plenty filling and yummy =)

I love this.. I have to eat out every night due to my job and this is what I end up eating most of the time..lol
  • healthy4heidi
    healthy4heidi Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Mcdonald's premium grilled chicken sandwich is 350

I was there last week and they told me they didn't have any grilled chicken sandwiches besides their bacon ranch chicken sandwich. Liars!!!! I wonder if it's a location or regional thing?

I had a salad instead - the southwest one. It was good.
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I agree with all things grilled chicken from Wendys and Mcdonalds! The best prices for the lowest cals.
  • Cherbear67
    Cherbear67 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I am a designated driver and eat out every night. I live in Canada so can't tell you a lot of those places.. I have grabbed menu's from a lot of these bars and restaurants and have managed nicely..

The 1/2 pecan chicken salad from Wendy's tends to be my favourite.