Christmas Cookies on the Brain

Options
2»

Replies

• ReclaimingSarah
    ReclaimingSarah Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    My family favorite: Angel Kisses. (However, these may not be the best for shipping, as they are pretty delicate.)

2 egg whites, 1/8 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp cream of tarter, 1 tsp vanilla, 3/4 sugar, 3/4 cup chopped pecans

Beat egg whites, salt, cream of tarter & vanilla. (It will look really bubbly & frothy when done.)

Slowly add the sugar and continue beating until very stiff. (It will look kind of like paste.)

Fold in nuts gently.

Spread cookie sheet with parchment paper & drop the dough by the teaspoon. Bake at 300 degrees for 25. (Maybe even 20 or so, depending on your oven...they should still be white-ish.) Also, if you're done baking for the night, you can just turn off the oven & leave these in overnight. They will bake as the oven cools itself.

Slip paper off the baking sheet and let cool completely. They should slide off easily with a metal spatula.

Enjoy! ((They literally melt in your mouth.))
  • naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    The only thing you're missing is my address! The latter half of November through January was my downfall last year haha
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    The only thing you're missing is my address! The latter half of November through January was my downfall last year haha

All of my deliveries, thus far, have been in person. However, my oldest boy left for Marine boot camp yesterday so I'll probably try to ship a big box down his way in early December before he graduates.

I LOVE to bake, so baking and giving 90% of it away helps keep me from getting too crazy. Also, I still have 4 other kiddos in the house AND my hubby so they help eat all the ones that don't pass my "quality control" tests!!
  • sevsmom
    Options
    My family favorite: Angel Kisses. (However, these may not be the best for shipping, as they are pretty delicate.)

2 egg whites, 1/8 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp cream of tarter, 1 tsp vanilla, 3/4 sugar, 3/4 cup chopped pecans

Beat egg whites, salt, cream of tarter & vanilla. (It will look really bubbly & frothy when done.)

Slowly add the sugar and continue beating until very stiff. (It will look kind of like paste.)

Fold in nuts gently.

Spread cookie sheet with parchment paper & drop the dough by the teaspoon. Bake at 300 degrees for 25. (Maybe even 20 or so, depending on your oven...they should still be white-ish.) Also, if you're done baking for the night, you can just turn off the oven & leave these in overnight. They will bake as the oven cools itself.

Slip paper off the baking sheet and let cool completely. They should slide off easily with a metal spatula.

Enjoy! ((They literally melt in your mouth.))

These sound quite like a treat I've made in the past. . .coconut-lime mirengue cookies. Similar thing with the egg whites and leavening agents. But you fold in lime zest and shredded sweetened coconut. Those aren't my favorite for freezing or packaging as the slightest bump makes them crumble up. But now I'm considering trying your recipe. . . .
  • ReclaimingSarah
    ReclaimingSarah Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Yes- these are just a basic nutty meringue cookie. I'm going to try subbing in different flavorings than vanilla this year and will also experiment with adding chocolate chips and/or cocoa powder. They can be quite crumbly, but they are just so delicious.
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Cream Wafers! First made them with my mother from Betty Crocker's Cooky Book . Best evaaar:

da66f108-d5ec-479a-b074-bd2fdec40415.jpg

Wafers
    2 cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
    1 cup butter or margarine
    softened 1/3 cup whipping (heavy) cream
    Granulated sugar

Creamy Filling
    3/4 cup powdered sugar
    1/4 cup butter or margarine
    softened 1 teaspoon vanilla
    lemon extract or peppermint extract
    Food color, if desired

1. In medium bowl, mix flour, 1 cup butter and the whipping cream with spoon. Cover and refrigerate about 1 hour or until firm.

2. Heat oven to 375ºF. Roll one-third of dough at a time 1/8 inch thick on lightly floured surface. (Keep remaining dough refrigerated until ready to roll.) Cut into desired shapes with 1 1/2-inch cookie cutters. Generously cover large piece of waxed paper with granulated sugar. Transfer cutouts to waxed paper, using pancake turner. Turn each cutout to coat both sides. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Prick each cutout with fork about 4 times.

3. Bake 7 to 9 minutes or just until set but not brown. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely, about 1 hour.

4. Meanwhile, mix all Creamy Filling ingredients until smooth. Add a few drops water if necessary. Spread about 1/2 teaspoon filling between bottoms of pairs of cookies.
  • sevsmom
    Options
    Cream Wafers! First made them with my mother from Betty Crocker's Cooky Book . Best evaaar:

da66f108-d5ec-479a-b074-bd2fdec40415.jpg

Wafers
    2 cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
    1 cup butter or margarine
    softened 1/3 cup whipping (heavy) cream
    Granulated sugar

Creamy Filling

Those look DELISH!!!!!
    3/4 cup powdered sugar
    1/4 cup butter or margarine
    softened 1 teaspoon vanilla
    lemon extract or peppermint extract
    Food color, if desired

1. In medium bowl, mix flour, 1 cup butter and the whipping cream with spoon. Cover and refrigerate about 1 hour or until firm.

2. Heat oven to 375ºF. Roll one-third of dough at a time 1/8 inch thick on lightly floured surface. (Keep remaining dough refrigerated until ready to roll.) Cut into desired shapes with 1 1/2-inch cookie cutters. Generously cover large piece of waxed paper with granulated sugar. Transfer cutouts to waxed paper, using pancake turner. Turn each cutout to coat both sides. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Prick each cutout with fork about 4 times.

3. Bake 7 to 9 minutes or just until set but not brown. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely, about 1 hour.

4. Meanwhile, mix all Creamy Filling ingredients until smooth. Add a few drops water if necessary. Spread about 1/2 teaspoon filling between bottoms of pairs of cookies.
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Yep - cream wafers. My mother has made them every Christmas for as long as I can remember. I make them, too, and had a specific request for them this year - SO yummy!

I also make buckeyes, old fashioned sugar cookies, candy cane cookies, stuffed stockings and iced cinnamon chip cookies. My 12-year-old son makes the ginger cookies in our house - not gingerbread, though.
  • mello
    mello Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I do the same, except with candy instead of cookies

Divinity
    Martha Washington Balls- it's a southern thing I think. Think peanut butter balls, except made with confectioner's sugar, butter, condensed milk, coconut, pecans rolled into balls and dipped in chocolate. :love:
    Chocolate dipped pretzels
    Pralines
    Peanut Butter Fudge

I buy cute $1 plates at the dollar store and fix plates of candy and deliver!!