To Shop or Not to Shop, that is the Question

Options
2»

Replies

• mgoetsch1982
    mgoetsch1982 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I would get stuff on sale or go to a resale/thrift store.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Goodwill. That 12 pounds could mean a difference of 1-2 sizes depending on where it comes from. I went from an 8 at 155 to a 4 at 145. My 8's I call my "I Dream of Genie" Pants LOL

I unfortunately, being tall, had to buy clothes in each size for work as I worked my way down. Now I have the same pant in a 12, a 10, an 8 and a 6...I need a 4, but I can't break down and buy another...

If you are easy to fit I suggest resale shops and Goodwill.
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Absolutely get yourself a few new bras; they'll make everything else you wear look a million times better!

I second the ideas to have a clothing swap with friends or colleagues (my friends and I do this periodically) and to check thrift and consignment stores.

If you have any friends who are about your size, or who used to be your size (either on their way up or their way down) you could ask if they have any items in size (whatever) that they don't wear anymore.

Also, if you have a friend who does love to shop (ideally a bargain-hunter friend!) enlist her help to go shopping. Since you hate shopping, it'll give you motivation to keep going, and a good friend can give you a much better opinion of how something looks than the mirror can!
  • amclaws25
    amclaws25 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. I have been shopping at cheap places like Ross right now. I have 1 pair of jeans (too big but I make it work with a belt), 1 pair of fitting work slacks and a few shirts. LOL. It's a pathetic wardrobe considering I work an office job and have to dress nice 5 days a week then the weekends. LOL. I'm just too cheap to buy more stuff knowing they will be too big shortly. I am always asking people for hand-me downs lol. But I have run out of people to ask now. :( I am about 20 pounds away from my initial goal, fine tuning after that. I just wait it out until I absolutely have to buy something. LOL.
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I am the same way right now, I go and look at clothes... but never buy anything. Going to have to soon, since all my winter clothes are way too big now. I plan to have a garage sale soon, so maybe i'll make some good $ to buy new stuff! haha!
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Buy clothes tight....has been working for me so far :) Also I shop in the clearance section at Target, or places like Ross or Kohls or even Kmart with their clearances, just because I know I will not last long with them. No full price items until I am at goal weight.

Happy shopping!

^^This. Shop sales, discount stores, and buy tighter than you think it should be. Just a couple of items at a time or you'll never wear them but a couple of times. I was sick to death of my clothes and can finally now buy "real" clothes that I can keep season after season! = D Also look for stretchy items like T-shirts and knits and polyester pants & dresses rather than like button up cotton shirts which have no give or mercy. I just took in a bunch of my stretchy tops that fit fine at the top but the waist was like pregnant! Worked great! It's the pants that I have to see if I can take them in a size & have them done professionally.
  • NorthwestPA
    NorthwestPA Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Depending on where you live thrift store clothes are a viable alternative. They're pretty cheap for the most part and keep you from being naked while waiting to get down to your goal weight.

Also remember that the last 10-15ish pounds are usually the hardest for people to lose. They may take longer to lose than you expect, but stick with it. They WILL come off eventually.

I have been going to thrift stores just to get the “fill in the gap clothing” as I like to call it. You can find some nice stuff for a little amount of money.
  • KH9107
    KH9107 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I would buy from thrift stores or cheap stores (like Dots or Walmart) for now and splurge on key pieces when you reach your # goal.

Good job on the loss so far!
  • drlauram
    drlauram Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Ebay! I've gotten some great jeans for $15 or less + shipping on ebay. So much more reasonable than spending $80+ for full price jeans. And, sale racks at Kohls are great too!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!