Weird things nobody tells you about losing weight

Options

Replies

• rhinesb
    rhinesb Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I saw grey hair where I didn't want to.
    Oh well don't feel too bad about that! I'm a red head and well I've found white hair where I didn't want to for years and I'm only 31 and not a gray hair on my head!
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    In addition to the fun things other people have mentioned:
    All the treadmill and outside-walking time contributed to plantar fasciitis - so I had to switch to stationary bikes and elliptical
    After I lost about 45 lbs I was diagnosed with gallstones and had to have my gallbladder removed. They said this was common for people who have lost a lot of weight. Though they didn't seem to know why. *eyebrow.

11842605.png
  • Elmorlan
    Options
    The "time of the month" bloat was a new thing for me. I just realized that one. I couldn't understand why my stomach was so huge! I just couldn't see it before!

The big one is that everyone now thinks I'm a doctor and can tell them how to lose weight!
  • karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Weirdest thing I ever heard obout losing weight: guys gain a half inch of "useable length" for every 20 pounds they lose. Of course I know this is total BS. Still funny that someone actually thought that up. :bigsmile:

LOL, not to be tmi, but that does kinda make sense - i mean if its the stomach going IN as opposed to the length being "added" elsewhere until a certain point it prb seems like the 1/2 inch (or more) is more "useable" lol!!!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Some days youll wake up and stand and realize youve had a whoosh night.
    Weight drops drastically on whoosh nights.
  • LindseyDD
    LindseyDD Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    :laugh:

I'm freezing....ALL the time.

THIS!!
  • maeveslim
    maeveslim Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    That all your clothes that you have been hanging onto for years, waiting to get back into, will look horrendous on you as you are a different shape to last time you were that slim plus have your kids rolling about on the floor laughing at you because they are soooo dated.
  • karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I've lost 78 lbs and I'm so worried that I'm going to have extra skin and won't be happy with my end result. Anyone else who has lost a bunch of weight the old fashioned way have any experience with this? I still have 43 lbs to go to be at my ideal weight.. I'm just hoping my bikini body is not just a dream...

not to be the annoying advocate for strength training. but... some kind of resistance training will probably be necessary. Some skin sagginess comes with large amts of weight loss, AND your skin will tighten up to some degree, but if you want to tighten up & fill in, do something that helps build muscle. strength training or plyo will do wonders.

just my two cents.
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I now have to stick a blanket or pillow between my bony knees when I sleep on my side.

I was always cold even at my heaviest - so I'm dreading this winter.

A few months ago, after losing another chunk of weight (it tends to come off in chunks separated by plateaus) I noticed a lump just below my sternum. Next time I was at the doctor I asked her about it and it's a normal thing called the xiphoid process or something like that. I must have forgotten about it during my chubby days!
  • rhinesb
    rhinesb Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    That your *kitten* will hurt when you lose the fat off your butt and your tailbone sticks out. :(

You'll run out of clothes that are too small. That's a good one but it sucks not having anything to 'try' to fit into anymore!

People pay more attention to you. I find that odd as I treat no one differently. IMO Size only matters for one thing. lol

Your grocery bill will go sky high unless you have a garden.

It's harder to shave bony knees than fat ones. lol Also, I hate how my bony knees touch each other when I sleep on my side.

Fat feet are prettier than bony, skinny ones. Mine remind me of Madonna's hands. Eww

You'll have a lot more energy and your family will think you're having a midlife crisis. One even accused me of having adhd! I just move more because my skinny butt can't sit as long AND I exercise more.

Gas. Healthy food makes a lot of it. <sigh> Although I shall never admit that I fart, Beano is my new friend.

I can't perch my morning cup of coffee on top of my belly anymore. It's gone (the belly) and I'm glad, but I hate using a table. lol

The plastic toilet lid doesn't cave in when you get under 150lbs. Yayy!

While I'm on the topic of bathrooms, I might as well add it's easier to wipe! While I'm in the shower, I can now see my feet AND wrap myself in a towel that actually covers me and doesn't fall off. :)

People will be jealous of your weight loss. I hate that. I'm always happy when someone gets healthier. Also, no one wants to hear you talk about what you eat, what you don't eat, what exercise you did, how many cals you burned during your awesome 2 hour workout, your MFPals or what clothes you can now fit into. You also have to say it's a LIFESTYLE, not a diet or they all yell at you when you eat pizza or anything else that isn't a pile of carrots and celery!

You can beat your dog up the stairs. woohoooo That was one of my favs until I tripped over her while running (not up the stairs) and broke my foot. :(

I can feel my collar bones under the seat belt in my car.
    Awesome post
  • michaelsgirl1210
    michaelsgirl1210 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    The little wrinkles around my eyes disappeared since my face slimmed down! On the downside though, everyone thinks I'm student instead of the librarian (I work at a university). I'm also one of those who went down a shoe size, so all of my shoes are too loose. But I have tender feet anyway, so I don't mind that too much.

I also didn't anticipate all the psychological effects. My head still says I should be a size 20, but my waist says a 12. I can't get used to it, and I'm actually terrified of buying new clothes because I'm afraid I'll gain all the weight back over night.
  • xSCiNTILLATEx79
    xSCiNTILLATEx79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Weirdest thing I ever heard obout losing weight: guys gain a half inch of "useable length" for every 20 pounds they lose. Of course I know this is total BS. Still funny that someone actually thought that up. :bigsmile:

LOL, not to be tmi, but that does kinda make sense - i mean if its the stomach going IN as opposed to the length being "added" elsewhere until a certain point it prb seems like the 1/2 inch (or more) is more "useable" lol!!!

The first time I heard this ws on Oprah about 5-6 years ago I think when Dr. OZ first started on her show...it does kinda make sense...
  • RLDeShazo
    RLDeShazo Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    That my stomach feels all squishy now. That I had to adjust the seats and mirrors in the truck. The weirdest is that I want to run! Not quite capable yet, but I really really want to run. People look at me like I'm crazy when I say that.
  • xSCiNTILLATEx79
    xSCiNTILLATEx79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Some days youll wake up and stand and realize youve had a whoosh night.
    Weight drops drastically on whoosh nights.

I had one of those last night~So Im redoing today how I did yesterday. I could feel it the moment I got outta bed :bigsmile:
  • beautsarah
    beautsarah Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I'm cold...all the time. It's in the 60s and I'm wearing two coats...I used to set my air conditioner to 65!
    I'm actually MORE critical of my appearance...I don't quite understand this one.
    My seat belt kinda hurts...it's hitting a bone.
    Last night I almost fell off my bed reaching for something and when I fell I was able to not only catch myself but stop mid slip. Core muscles are nice.
    When I do fall, it really hurts...if I fall on my knee it busts open instead of just bruising like before.
    My hip bone is prominent...and I still have 70 ish pounds to go.

And...
    I'm still cold. -_-
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    This isn't weird and should have been anticipated but when I wear my "old clothes" I look like the last scene in the movie Big when Tom Hanks turns back into the 13-year old boy but he still has adult clothes on. It's sad because I've had to abandon some of my favorite shirts because they look like I'm wearing a tent.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    The first place I noticed losing weight was my scalp - washed my hair one day and was like, "oh, hey, that's my skull. Also, body, please pick just about ANYWHERE ELSE to remove fat from, I really don't care if my scalp is fat." (My body has a lovely sense of humor; it said, "oh yeah? How would you like to be an A-cup then? MUAH HA HA HA.")

It's harder to get comfy at night now - I figured out one reason my ankle isn't getting better is because of how my legs fit together while I'm sleeping. I have to use a body pillow, which is weird.
  • freenewme
    freenewme Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    living in wisconsin the first winter after i losing 200lbs i actually bought a winter jacket based on how warm it work keep me and how many layers i could put under it and not how cute it was or how cheap it was. lol didn't realize how warm all my fat was keeping me. now at about 60 degrees i am complaining its too cold out for me.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I'm always cold now..well, I guess that could be considered common sense, but I never really thought too much about it before.