Screw what the scale says

Options
13»

Replies

• Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Here here ... love this post! I have put on weight since weight training but losing inches and body fat all over the place!
    Kick those scales into a dark dusty corner and go by how you feel and how your clothes fit!
  • BonnieLouWho89
    Options
    I agree with firstsip! The original poster is not trying to say ignore the scale completely; they're just saying that the scale is not the most important aspect of weightloss because a lot of people get obsessed with the number even if they are in good physical shape (i.e. look skinny).

By focusing on feeling good about how you LOOK (and exercise and eat), you guarantee success without scale depression! :)
  • hollyNhollywood
    hollyNhollywood Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I think measurements and body fat % is the ultimate indicator.
    I didn't lose a single ounce for 3 weeks. And just a few days ago the scale finally moved, I finally lost .4 lbs.
    Therefore my BMI didn't budge in those 3 weeks and I'm still classified as overweight.
    BUT my body fat monitor tells me that in that time I've lost 2% fat. And I'm well into a healthy body fat % for my age. That means more to me than a scale.
  • susan9
    susan9 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I don't always love the scale, but I need it to keep me on track. I try not to let daily weigh ins bother me as long as I'm making weekly progress.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm within 3 pounds of what my weight was a year and three months ago. My clothing size is more or less the same.

But progress has still been made. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LorinaLynn/view/it-ain-t-over-when-you-hit-your-goal-423924
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Agree! I have a FB friend (not on MFP) who has been on a weight loss journey for almost a year. She posted about how hard she's been working, and that her clothes are feeling looser and she bought a smaller size in something....but she was moaning about "why aren't the pounds coming off"?? I posted back to "step away from the scale" and realize that her clothes and her energy level are telling her that she's making progress. It's a really hard concept for people who have always focused on the scale.

:drinker:
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I have to say it even though it will piss off people.

You traded one number for another. You say what you weigh/what the scale says isn't important and shouldn't define you, yet you're clinging to your size 8 jeans. The number on your pants tag is now what defines your weight/weight loss. Why not just cut out all the tags in your clothes, basically throw them away like you say to do with the scale?
    IMO, you need SOME measureable results. What's wrong with clothing size? Everyone needs a frame of reference for their level of fitness or health.
  • amayaveronica
    Options
    I just figured this out today ive been down on myself for only losing like 2 lbs since exercising since june but everyone keeps telling me ive lost weight and my waist is definitly shrinking and i tried to see if id fit into my old jeans and i did! So realy F you scale DONT STOP thats my advice
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Best post, OP! TRUTH!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I think you should get a freaking award for this post. Excellent job.

Here's the gold ribbon:
    gold_ribbon.jpg

OMG! Truth online! LOL
    internet-cat-lolcat-courtesy-tonyalmeida.jpg
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I'm about to be in the next pants size down. They're getting lose. The scale? Ha! Forget it. :happy: I don't care if it says 200lbs. when I hit my goal body, the body that I'm trying to achieve. And I could care far less for BMI. If you're tall, short, muscular, etc. it's totally bunk anyway.
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Awesome post. I try to remind myself of this when I want to break my scale. :)
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Well said!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    The scale means way less than it used it. In high school, at 5'6.5", I was "fat" at 115. I wasn't in shape, though I was skinny. I was a 0 or 3. I'm more than 50 pounds heavier now, and wearing a 6 or 8, but I'm in MUCH better shape. When I started losing weight, I was thinking I wanted to get back to around 125. Now I realize that at 125, I'd look emaciated, because my body has changed and added so much muscle.
  • ABrideToBE
    ABrideToBE Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    True, however, size does not define you as well. Vanity sizing is as what it says: vanity. Although I define my success as my goal weight of 125lbs, I still rely on how I feel overall.
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options

I guess my fear is, I don't WANT the scale to be my motivator.

Well said! I don't want to look at a 1-2lb gain on the scale and feel that I have that I have to starve the next day to make up. I also don't want to see a big loss then get too relaxed and start cheating. A healthy lifestyle should be the only thing motivating weight loss.
  • Dancer113
    Dancer113 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Well said -- the number on the scale doesn't define success! thanks for the reminder!
  • runnerblues86
    Options
    Great post!! I am seeing changes even though they are small, but the scale isn't moving much. I keep working on things, though and hopefully I will continue to see improvements - even if my scale doesn't tell the same story.
  • mandy_lynn
    mandy_lynn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You couldn't be more right!