new, and HUNGRY!

Options
first day, but I've dieted enough to know that it will get easier after about three days. I didn't bring enough food to work! I need to get some healthy snack food.

Replies

• ladynblu87
    ladynblu87 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Monique and that is a good idea. I am going to start taking carrots and almonds to work to snack on.
  • kerrilovescass
    Options
    Great idea!! Good luck today, Monique!
  • ladynblu87
    ladynblu87 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    you too!
  • alan589
    alan589 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Good luck. Yup healthy snacks are essential. Tangerines are good.
  • blurts1980
    Options
    Carrots with a homemade bean dip is delicious!
  • urglewurgle
    urglewurgle Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken too!
  • justtodayjen333
    justtodayjen333 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    String cheese also works for me!
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome. No need to ever feel hungry. Add loads of steamed vegetables to your cooked meals and heaps of salad stuff to your cold ones. Drink more water between meals. Don't forget to keep your protein target.

I did this recently and I was so comfortably stuffed I couldn't beleive I would lose weight but I am; far better than feeling hungry all the time.
  • DaphneAtx
    Options
    Me too - low fat string cheese and grapes are my go-to snack.
  • bertoliniracing
    Options
    I always pack some extra snacks in my lunch bag.
  • amielcampbell
    amielcampbell Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    lowfat or nonfat yogurt or greek yogurt!
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Diets fail! Don't think of it as a diet, make it a lifestyle change. If you're hungry, eat. Just make good choices-fruit, vegetables, lean meats; not junk! And plan better-make sure you have healthy snacks on hand so you don't binge later.
    Remember, if you fail to plan, you plan to fail.
    Good luck!
  • mikenliza
    mikenliza Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I bought a cookbook called "Eat What You Love". It is our normal meals (sloppy joes; orange chicken; etc. etc) just heathier and less calories. It really helped. My dinner was surprisingly low on calories so I could eat the snacks and stay satisfied all day. Good luck!
  • mickigoad
    mickigoad Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My go to snacks are cucumbers, red bell peppers, hummus and almonds. Plan your snacks just like your meals and you will succeed! :wink:
  • VIELKA04
    VIELKA04 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey!! I am new too and just today I took to work a few packets Orville Smartpop popcorn (100 cal each bag), Frigo Mozarrella Light string cheese (50 cal each) a bag of Almonds and a packet of green tea (0 calories per tea bag!)....Having my "mini-pantry" at work with healthy snacks helps me a lot when hunger and craves attack!! Good luck!!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Hello, welcome to MFP!

While it is always good to plan ahead and have plenty of healthy snacks (lean meat, fruit, vegetables, whole grains), please note that MFP often sets your calorie goal too low and you may need to tweak your goals a bit to get it just right - so you are satiated and still in a calorie deficit. You may want to visit this site:

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

...and run your numbers. You should be able to take the information from there and manually change your goals.

For example, MFP started me out at 1200 calories. I soon learned that was far too low for me, so I gradually raised my goal to 1400 and eventually to 1700. Now I am able to still be in a deficit but I have more freedom with what I can eat and I do not have to stress as much to try to stay under a stringent goal.

Granted, the more weight you have to lose, the larger your deficit can be at first, but as you approach your goal, you may need to alter the plan a bit. It's all about patience and planning.

Best of luck. :)
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Hunger is part of the process of losing weight. It feels like it's not fair and it's not fun and it doesn't seem right, but it's part of the game. When you are over weight it's like you have a big mortgage debt. It is not fun to pay it off. There is no magic pill, you must just get through it. The slow turtle wins the race in this game. While paying the debt off is not fun (feeling hunger sometimes, a lot) seeing that it really works and seeing the scale go down is motivating to keep you going, especially if you want it bad enough. You really have to want the prize at the end. It took me two long hard years and it was very much worth it.

I like preparing all my own foods. I find it easier to keep my calorie deficit goals (well I don't eat at a deficit anymore but I still like to eat this way, I just eat more now in maintenance compared to the deficit phase). I like fruits and vegetables and lots of fresh spices, meats, fish, chicken, and limited amounts of good bread, hot cereals, rice, and tortillas. Not that its needed to lose weight but it makes me feel good. Snacks: greek yogurt and vanilla stevia, carrots and hummus, celery and string cheese, apple, melon, cucumbers.

While I can't tell you what to do, or anyone else, this worked for me http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout

I wish you the best -Bobbie
  • lemmyhead
    lemmyhead Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hi, I used to have a fruit bowl and a teapot at work! Now that I work from home, food is much more enticing, so I keep my teapot close at all times. I find that drinking herbal teas (so no need to sweeten and no caffeine) helps keep me full, warm (in winter), hydrated, and occupied so I think less about eating!