Lentils--Any Quick Recipes?

Options
So I'm making lentils for the first time tonight for a new recipe (Bacon and Cheese Lentil Pie), and I know I'm going to have tons of lentils left over (I started with them dry and soaked them overnight). Any suggestions for other ways to eat them? Thanks!

Replies

• Cosmic_Unicorn
    Cosmic_Unicorn Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Use them instead of beef in pasta sauce!
  • seamonkey789
    Options
    I toss them in the crock pot with tomatoes then throw in a can of coconut milk right at the end
  • girlykate143
    girlykate143 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    They are great mixed with basmati rice. Boil them in the same pot, dump into.strainer to drain, dump back into pot, douse with a little olive oil and salt to taste. It's a very popular middle eastern dish and super cheap.
  • jenlouise4
    jenlouise4 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    So I'm making lentils for the first time tonight for a new recipe (Bacon and Cheese Lentil Pie), and I know I'm going to have tons of lentils left over (I started with them dry and soaked them overnight). Any suggestions for other ways to eat them? Thanks!

can I just ask where the pie recipe is from? even the name sounds awesome :D
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Have lentils, rice, salsa, lettuce, and a bit of cheese if you can eat it, avocado. MMMMM very tasty taco salad kind of meal and very filling.
  • Cameo530
    Cameo530 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Bumping. I had lentils for the first time ever a couple weeks ago and I'm in love.:happy:
  • frayedfotos
    frayedfotos Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    lentils (red and\or brown), canned garbanzo beans, a can of diced tomatoes, carton of broth, fresh baby spinach, chopped carrots, celery and a sausage taken out of the casing and pre-sauteed with garlic make a yummy soup (I season with red pepper, cardamom, cumin and fresh ginger with some store bought garam masala)
  • justtodayjen333
    justtodayjen333 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Thanks you all for these great ideas! This is why I love MFP -- I never would have thought of these on my own! Seriously -- thanks!
  • elizabethis
    elizabethis Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Make chili with them. Just pretend they are the ground beef and season as you would for chili
    tomatoes, onions, chili powder,cumin - whatever you might use.
  • justtodayjen333
    justtodayjen333 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    http://thecheapskatecook.com/2012/02/16/bacon-cheese-lentil-pie-with-vegetarian-option/

So here's the link to the recipe I made--it was really good. I put it in to MFP recipes and it comes out to 353 calories a serving. It's not really a light recipe as is. When I make it again I will bake mine in a single serving dish and put less cheese and bacon in it. My family really liked it too--always a plus!:)
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=743153

Not exactly a quick recipe, but damn it's good.
  • BrownEyedGrrl
    Options
    don't have any recipes but bumping this for ideas
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/taunto

Lentil soup (laal daal)
    Posted on 04/30/2012 by taunto

This recipe is shared by my sister who learned it from my mother. Unlike most of the curry/soup type recipes, this is a dish I donot recommend eating with rice. You can eat this like soup or eat with bread to make it an entree. Hope you enjoy it.

Ingredients:

1 cup red Lentils (These are tiny red colored split lentils, easily available in most stores)
    1 medium onion
    2 tbsp tomato paste
    2-3 green chillies (depending on how hot you want it, you can easily skip it)
    1/4 tsp turmeric powder
    1/2 tsp red chilli powder
    1/2 tsp salt

Ingredients for Tadka (to put on top of the soup)

1 small onion
    2 cloves of garlic
    1/2 tsp cumin seed
    1-2 whole red pepper (The one thats shaped round but any dry WHOLE red pepper will work, DO NOT use pepper flakes)
    1-2 tbsp olive oil

Recipe:

Take the red lentil, add the onions, green chilli, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and cook it till the lentils are tender. This kind of lentil cooks faster compared to most, I'd say about 30 minutes. Once the lentils are cooked and tender, you can add salt and tomato puree and cook it for another 5 minues while stirring the soup. Your lentils are technically cooked but for more flavor, you need to add Tadka to it on top. Turn off the soups heat and in another pot (or small fry pan) prepare tadka

Tadka Recipe:
    Heat the olive oil. When its hot, add the chopped onion and chopped garlic. The garlic and onions should be very very thinly sliced, the finer the better. Cook it till the onions and garlic is golden/red color then immediately add the cumin seed and the red pepper. Let the seed and pepper cook for about 15-30 seconds and then dump it all in the soup.

Your delicious soup is ready to be served, you can use some good bread to dip this into and enjoy :)

Estimated nutrition facts (just my own calculations):

For the entire recipe (using 3 tbsp oil)
    Calories: 838
    Fiber: 44 grams
    Carbs: 112 g
    protein: 34g
  • luvstoloose
    Options
    I make split pea or red lentils. Just fry some onions, tomatoes, salt and cayenne pepper(to taste) and add the boiled lentils. Mix them up and squeeze a lemon wedge when it cools down. have it with your favorite pita bread or tortilla.
    I also add tons of garlic and fry them up for a couple minutes in olive oil. Garnish with cilantro.
  • ffhsanfran
    ffhsanfran Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    sprinkle it over any salad. it goes well with onions, greens, celery, lemon, vinegar, ... my favorite. JUst don't leave cooked lentils in the fridge for a month. They do eventually go bad, and what an foul odor!
  • allbysun
    allbysun Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My teenage girls love it when I make lentils....I start off by sauteeing onion, peppers, garlic and even a little carrot if you like in a saucepan with a small amount of olive oil. Next I add some seasonings, typically I use the costco no-salt seasoning and some sea salt and pepper (I know...no salt, then add salt - funny!) add the appropriate amount of water (read the package) or even better use chicken broth and cook until all of the water is absorbed.

Since you already soaked them, I presume you could just toss in with the vegetables?
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options

Look up some recipes for lental dal- an indian dish, lentil stew type dish with curry spices.
    You can just saute some onion and garlic in oil, add about 2 tsp curry powder, salt/pepper and add lentils and a little chicken broth and coconut milk and let simmer on low until thick. Delish!!
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    If you like Indian food, i have a quick recipe...

1 cup dry lentils will yield almost 3-4 cups cooked
    Fry 1 cup Onions, 2-3 cloves of Garlic, Green chillies(optional) until slightly translucent
    Add a half tsp of Turmeric, powdered or fresh Ginger and keep frying
    Add salt, pepper, a pinch of sugar and 1 bay leaf and keep stirring
    Add half a 14oz can of diced or crushed tomatoes and continue frying.
    Add 1-2 tsp of your favorite Indian curry powder and stir that in
    Add 3-4 cups of chicken broth or plain water and stir everything.

Taste test it for salt content or if you need more curry powder

Bring to boil then turn it low, covered on simmer until you're happy with the consistency.
    Add more cumin, salt, a pinch of sugar and black pepper if needed.

There are soooo many recipes for Indian Lentils ...this is just one quick one.
  • hippie_spirit
    hippie_spirit Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    bumping for later ... i love lentils!!