gym at 9pm...?

Options
My work schedule is so strange. So 3 days/week I can only make it to the gym after 9pm. I plan on working out from about 9:15/9:30pm-10:30pm those nights.

Anyone else work out this late? Does it keep you up all night from getting hyped up or do you get a good night's sleep?

Replies

• Carfoodel
    Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I like the gym that time of night as it is really quiet - I finish off with a swim which helps with the adrenalin - but usually don't get to sleep until about 12.30 (and sleep like a log) lol
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I work out that late but I can't go to the GYM that late. All the gyms around here close at 9PM. ):
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    When I was in college I always ate dinner at 5pm then went to the gym from 8-10pm. After college that became my pattern, get home from work around 6pm, then eat dinner, let it marinate, then do my exercise video. Because I'm used to it it doesn't affect me any which way. If anything I think a hard workout makes it easier for me to sleep afterwards because my body is exhausted.
  • ohheyy125
    ohheyy125 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I work out that late but I can't go to the GYM that late. All the gyms around here close at 9PM. ):

A lot of gyms around here close at 10 or 11, but this one is 24/7 which is great. Glad to know I can work out at 2 am if I want =P
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    My work schedule is so strange. So 3 days/week I can only make it to the gym after 9pm. I plan on working out from about 9:15/9:30pm-10:30pm those nights.

Anyone else work out this late? Does it keep you up all night from getting hyped up or do you get a good night's sleep?

My favorite time at the gym! I get home around 10:30, have a high-protein snack and watch tv, then sleep.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I normally work out at 9 pm - 10 pm time range. I never have any issues going to sleep afterwards. I think I actually fall asleep easier after a good workout. Sleeping through your recovery time is a great idea in my opinion. My gym (Anytime Fitness) is open 24/7 too but I'm not going to try the 2 am thing. I like my sleep too much.

It's normally pretty empty later at night too. Another plus.
  • Luciabella07
    Luciabella07 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    i work out that late and dont have trouble sleeping, I work full time and go to school full time so my hours are usually 430am-10:00pm, so I usually eat when I get in and wait a half hour and then work out.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, any exercise after 6p or so keeps me from going to sleep at 9:30-10p. Fortunately for you, people are different with this so it may not bother you at all. If it doesn't, then awesome because most gyms have a completely different vibe to them late night.

(Similar example: My wife can drink a large glass of tea late evening or even right before bed with no issues. If I have caffeine after 3ish, I have trouble falling asleep.)
  • thergj
    thergj Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Gym at 9pm... heck YEAH! Working out late did keep me up when I first started and that use to be one of my biggest excuses for not doing it. Over time I find that I sleep just fine, maybe even better after some exercise. I prefer to get my workout in between 6 - 8pm. However, sometimes that gets pushed back to 9 or 9:30. Any later than that and I move it to the next morning (which I hate doing!). My basement gym is pretty well stocked so it's easy for me to get in a workout. My local gym has after hours access also so I can scoot over there any time I feel the need.
  • basslinewild
    basslinewild Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Some nights I work out at 9 or 10pm. It doesn't keep me up, but I stay up til midnight or 1am everyday anyway. I love the gym that time of night, it's so quiet!
  • AZDizzy
    AZDizzy Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    My workout generally starts between 10 & 11pm, then shower and bed. It doesn't keep me up.