obvious foods to avoid??

Options

Replies

• Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Shortbread
    Pastry.

Until i actually made them, i didn't realize just how bad they were.

The worst part is, i dont even like shortbread, but i just can't resist it.
    So i never make it , nd if SO ever buys some, i hide i in such obscure places i can never find it.
  • dalgirly
    dalgirly Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I don't think I have anything on a always avoid list. (maybe its why I look the way I look)

There are things on my avoid to keep in the house on a regular basis list. But if I'm at a party and there are chips, I will probably have some. Or if its post hockey and we go out for a pint, I'm going to enjoy it.

But I don't buy chips or pop to keep in the house, because if they are there I would eat them. And if I go out lots in one week, I will eat healthier options for the most part.
  • wfte
    wfte Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    trans fat. the end.

^^^^ THIS
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options

What's wrong with soy???

Nothing unless you have an allergy or intollerance or eat too much of it.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/protein-full-story/index.html#soy

•Eat soy in moderation. Soybeans, tofu, and other soy-based foods are an excellent alternative to red meat. In some cultures, tofu and soy foods are a protein staple, and we don’t suggest any change. But if you haven't grown up eating lots of soy, there's no reason to go overboard: Two to 4 servings a week is a good target; eating more than that likely won't offer any health benefits and we can’t be sure that there is no harm.

It's anti-nutritive if it isn't fermented.

Spend a few minutes doing some research, and you won't want to eat soy again.

Eat meat.

I've been looking into almond and rice milk for just these reasons. Got any suggestions for getting calcium for those with milk allergies?

Edited for spelling.

off the top of my head, broccoli
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I would limit my consumption of trans fats and I would also somewhat limit my consumption of heavily processed meats. For me, that's about it.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I avoid nothing. well, that's not entirely true. I avoid excess. but, moderation? it's a pretty cool concept.
  • seamonkey789
    Options
    Pulp... It's like effing shrimp swimming in your mouth.

Other than that, we're good.

Well... maybe head cheese. That *kitten* be nasty.

I'm sorry, but I like chewing my orange juice!!

I don't avoid anything, just eat it in moderation
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Pulp... It's like effing shrimp swimming in your mouth.

Other than that, we're good.

Well... maybe head cheese. That *kitten* be nasty.

I'm sorry, but I like chewing my orange juice!!

I don't avoid anything, just eat it in moderation

ewwww...pulp makes me gag....

as for avoiding....

EAT ALL THE FOOD...just not "all the time, every day"...
    I just had a huge *kitten* taco salad and beer.
    And I am still under for the day. In fact, I need to eat more. Maybe I'll have another beer. What?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Both beer and burgers contain a ton of calories and the burgers have a ton of fat and limited nutrients as well. I say definitely on the avoid list. Also anything processed is not optimal for good health or weight loss. I stick with whole foods, as close to they come from the ground is the BEST for optimal health and weight management :)

Burgers have limited nutrients and aren't whole foods?

You're doing it wrong.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Anything white... including Caucasians.. .they're the devil!
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Anything white... including Caucasians.. .they're the devil!
    You keep stuffing us with cream cheese and wrapping us in bacon!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Only thing I avoid entirely are trans fats.
  • JamesThiel
    JamesThiel Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    ......not bacon....tell me bacon is OK......I love bacon.....
  • NaturallyOlivia
    NaturallyOlivia Posts: 496 Member
    Options

Coffee, bitter, dirty water to me

LMAO! Too funny!
  • NaturallyOlivia
    NaturallyOlivia Posts: 496 Member
    Options

you'll be happy to know Oscar Mayer and Great Value both make Turkey Bacon that's 35 cal per slice, andButterball makes one that is 25 cal per slice.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

you'll be happy to know Oscar Mayer and Great Value both make Turkey Bacon that's 35 cal per slice, andButterball makes one that is 25 cal per slice.

turkeys can't make bacon.
  • LuxHappens
    LuxHappens Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Both beer and burgers contain a ton of calories and the burgers have a ton of fat and limited nutrients as well. I say definitely on the avoid list. Also anything processed is not optimal for good health or weight loss. I stick with whole foods, as close to they come from the ground is the BEST for optimal health and weight management :)

Restricting yourself from eating the foods you love can send you into a wild binge. It is not only good for sustainable long-term habits, but it is certainly healthy and good for overall weight loss to indulge periodically.
  • LuxHappens
    LuxHappens Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Processed foods (including things like chips, cookies, frozen dinners, pizza, pretty much anything you can buy from a drive-thru window - and, in my opinion, most chain restaurant meals, period!) are, overall, good to avoid.

Of course you should have some of your favorite item PERIODICALLY if you absolutely love it - but it's all about moderation!

I highly recommend against depriving yourself of any foods because you will eventually break. And it won't be pretty!

If you're exercising regularly, why not enjoy what you eat?
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options

What's wrong with soy???

Nothing unless you have an allergy or intollerance or eat too much of it.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/protein-full-story/index.html#soy

•Eat soy in moderation. Soybeans, tofu, and other soy-based foods are an excellent alternative to red meat. In some cultures, tofu and soy foods are a protein staple, and we don’t suggest any change. But if you haven't grown up eating lots of soy, there's no reason to go overboard: Two to 4 servings a week is a good target; eating more than that likely won't offer any health benefits and we can’t be sure that there is no harm.

It's anti-nutritive if it isn't fermented.

Spend a few minutes doing some research, and you won't want to eat soy again.

Eat meat.

I've been looking into almond and rice milk for just these reasons. Got any suggestions for getting calcium for those with milk allergies?

Edited for spelling.

Almond milk is awesome, I love the Blue Diamond brand...rice milk is ok...kind of bland...

I don't think anyone who has done a lot of nutritional research will be eating meat, from a health standpoint animal proteins are very closely linked to cancer and cardiovascular problems.
  • martintanz
    Options
    For me, the obvious foods to avoid (always) are

Muffins
    Donuts
    Cake/pies
    French Fries
    Chips
    Regular Soda
    Deep Fried Chinese food

Pretty much everything else, I allow myself to indulge in moderation. Last week, I went out for a burger and a beer, felt great the next day. Now, it was just a burger with lettuce tomato and raw onion. No high fat toppings and no fries. And, just one beer. And no dessert.