Help with puppy, please!

Options
nicehormones
nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
Okay. So I have had this 16 week old puppy and she's been perfectly potty trained for about 3 weeks now. It's been a dream- no mistakes hardly at all. Now things have changed, despite our routine. I will let her outside to go potty in the morning before work. She urinates with no interruptions. When we go back inside and she sees me setting up the baby gate, she purposely pushes whatever drips of pee she can out onto the carpet. When I get home from work, I say "let's go potty" with the leash and she knows that we go out every time immediately when I get home. Lately, she runs into her crate now instead of letting me grab her and then pees in the crate. I simply cannot get to her fast enough. She is from a shelter so this could possibly be why, but she has never urinated in her crate before up until this point.

This is beyond frustrating and I have no idea why she is doing this. I do not think it is a bladder issue because it's only happening when I am coming or going. I am sure it's all behavioral because we never had any issues before. Please, does anyone have any ideas? I would be eternally grateful. I do not know what to do.

Replies

• katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    Do you set her up in a "wet area" like a kitchen or something (with the baby gate)? I would say, try to get her into that area BEFORE setting up the baby gate.

Do you leave her a full bowl of water during the day? Does she drink ALL of it? Maybe try a half bowl of water.. Enough for her to get by with but not enough to fill her bladder all the way?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    On the coming home part. Leave her in the crate while you are gone. Sounds like both are being caused by excitement/anxiety.

Be very quiet when coming home, don't get her excited in any way.

The baby gate is for sequestering the dog? If so, maybe don't put her behind it. Can't she sleep in the crate, instead of behind a gate? If you could put the crate close to your bedroom, she might feel less abandoned at night. She's having to deal with a lot of separation issues at once, and the gate and you coming home have become triggers for her...so change things around. Putting a dog in a crate is actually quite calming for them, and they won't "go" where they sleep.

The most important thing sounds like keeping her very calm. Don't talk in baby talk voice or loudly, just be calm with her when you are coming in after work.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    How about getting her a kong and filling it with some kibble mixed with peanut butter, then frozen, and giving it to her as you leave for work?

http://www.kongcompany.com/

Get her to associate you leaving with getting a yummy yummy treat, instead of "Wah! Mommy's gone!"
  • nicehormones
    Options
    Do you set her up in a "wet area" like a kitchen or something (with the baby gate)? I would say, try to get her into that area BEFORE setting up the baby gate.

Do you leave her a full bowl of water during the day? Does she drink ALL of it? Maybe try a half bowl of water.. Enough for her to get by with but not enough to fill her bladder all the way?

Yeah, she has a spot and I should try doing that first before she realizes I am putting the gate up. I give her only around half a bowl. She has held her bladder up to eight hours before. So I don't think it's an issue of her not being able to hold it. This situation occurs even if I let her go potty and then leave her in the kitchen for half an hour.
  • dsmboy1991
    dsmboy1991 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    On the coming home part. Leave her in the crate while you are gone. Sounds like both are being caused by excitement/anxiety.

The baby gate is for sequestering the dog? If so, maybe don't put her behind it. Can't she sleep in the crate, instead of behind a gate? If you could put the crate close to your bedroom, she might feel less abandoned at night. She's having to deal with a lot of separation issues at once, and the gate and you coming home have become triggers for her...so change things around. Putting a dog in a crate is actually quite calming for them, and they won't "go" where they sleep.

The most important thing sounds like keeping her very calm. Don't talk in baby talk voice or loudly, just be calm with her when you are coming in after work.

Agreed. Also, how much room in the crate? When crate training, especially pups, you want the crate smaller. Enough room to circle, lay down, and thats about it. Dogs (on the most part) will not lay in their own filth. If no room to do it, they hold. As they get older and better trained you can increase size of crate. Don't be too frustrated though. The pup is still young and has quite awhile to learn yet. Keep training and it will work out.
  • Seriousmom3
    Options
    i work at a vet clinic and I suggest having her check for cystitis. if she is having "drops" of urine that could be early UTI. catch a sample in a ziploc bag before you go, or save some and put it in the fridge until your appointment. it couldn't hurt to check.
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Sounds like something has happened that has scared her. Figuring out what that is and now re house breaking could be a chore. I would crate her while you are gone and immediately take her from the crate to the potty spot.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options

^^ This...

they say that dogs who have developed behavioural problems from you being out of the house for long periods of time stem from stress...that they feel the weight of responsibility of being in charge of defending this large space...and it stresses them. it's recommended that you crate them so that all they have to worry about is that small little space they are in for defense...and over time, leave the door open so they can come and go...that way once they acclimate to you being gone..they can choose to stay in the crate and just defend it...or wander the area and defend the larger space...

edited to add: also put on a radio on a news talk channel..tsomething with monotone dull voices....it will help them from reacting to every noise they hear outside of the four walls they are in. i put on the radio for my dog because the birds and traffic outside the house would drive her NUTS if she was alone...she would feel she had to be constantly ready to defend....
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    It could very well be because she gets attention when you rush over to clean up her mess, and she wants that bit of attention, knowing you're going to leave. I like Lorina's idea about associating you leaving with a nice treat (positive reinforcement - and kongs are very good toys), but perhaps if she does piddle, try not to make a huge deal out of it - guide her away from the area and out of sight and don't let her see you cleaning it up. Pees/poos can be seen as 'little presents' they are leaving you instead of what they really are - annoyances!

Even though it is obnoxious, try to have patience. She is young and adorable (judging by your pic) :)

Congrats on the new puppy!

Best of luck.
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    How large is your dogs crate ?. It has to be only large enough for them to turn around and lay down so they know it is their den. Try adding bedding and her toys. She needs to feel like its her safe zone. Your dog is acting out, I'm guessing because it feels neglected. Give it a kong to work on during a day. Also when they are that young our trainer said they shouldnt be left alone for more than four hrs at a time, your supposed to break them in gradually to longer away times.
  • momof2TONI
    Options

...This! I had a dog that would do the same thing. I found out if I totally ignored him when I was leaving, or first thing when I came in the door, he wouldn't get excited and pee. (edited to add: after a few minutes he was usually okay to leash and take outside)
  • scinamon1
    scinamon1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    How about getting her a kong and filling it with some kibble mixed with peanut butter, then frozen, and giving it to her as you leave for work?

Good idea but DON'T USE PEANUT BUTTER!!!!!!!! Peanuts are poisonous for dogs. POISONOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So are chocolate, grapes, tea and coffee, too many oat-y or bread-y type things. Our trainer suggested cheese and they LOVE that; or ham; you can also buy treats that fit in kongs, and they are fairly cheap.

Is there any way you could pop home at lunch time or get someone to look in on her so she's not left by herself all day?
  • ElyseL1
    Options
    OOO and one more thing that is always good to get your dog to behave is to always take them with you when you got, unless its to a grocery store or a quick five minute errand. This way the dogs learns that if you are leaving them at thome it must be because you are doing something boring. My dog has SA and this has helped a lot!!!!! Vet recommended it
  • dsmboy1991
    dsmboy1991 Posts: 194 Member
    Options

Good idea but DON'T USE PEANUT BUTTER!!!!!!!! Peanuts are poisonous for dogs. POISONOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So are chocolate, grapes, tea and coffee, too many oat-y or bread-y type things. Our trainer suggested cheese and they LOVE that; or ham; you can also buy treats that fit in kongs, and they are fairly cheap.

Is there any way you could pop home at lunch time or get someone to look in on her so she's not left by herself all day?

May I ask where you came up with this idea about peanuts???

http://www.aspca.org/Pet-care/ask-the-expert/ask-the-expert-poison-control/pistachios-and-peanuts.aspx

Small amounts are ok, but they are not poisonous
  • ElyseL1
    Options
    Peanut butter is NOT poisonous to dogs, so disregard that comment. if it were vets wouldnt say it was an ok treat.

Edited to add: its a treat you arent supposed to feed it to you pet likes it a meal.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    You should probably get her into some puppy training. It sounds like she has some separation anxiety and is acting out in this way due to stress. If you and your puppy could get into some training classes together, the instructor will teach both of you the basic skills needed to keep your dog well behaved.

She is a smart dog, she knows that the baby gate means you are leaving, and she thinks she is in trouble or are you are unhappy with her. How dogs show submission to other dogs is by peeing. Unfortunately, that is how they show submission to humans, too. All over the carpet.

When you return, she wants to show you how pleased and submissive she is that you are back now. Dominant dogs will not soil their crates. She knows that the crate is her space, and the rest of the house is your space. That is why she chooses the crate to pee to show you how happy she is that you returned.

As a shelter dog, she is going to have more separation issues than a puppy you have hand raised or got from a reputable breeder.
    Also, a puppy her age needs to relive itself about every 4 hours. In the summer, she may have been able to go longer due to the warm weather and panting will dehydrate her just like sweating does to us. Sometime around the 6-9 months point (after having her fixed) you should be able to crate her for 8 hours at a time with no issues.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I have three dogs.
    Dogs like to screw with you.
  • nicehormones
    Options
    I keep the crate in the kitchen and she sleeps in the crate. It's about the perfect size for her to circle around, but not big. I feel guilty leaving her just in the crate all day because sometimes I work 6ish hours. That's why I leave her crate in the kitchen with her for sleeping and put a baby gate up so that she doesn't get into everything in the whole house.

I do have a kong, I should try that.

I also do not ever clean up her messes in front of her. When she goes outside, I always use my clicker and treat and praise her.
  • gkc14
    gkc14 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    couple things... if she is 16 weeks, she is probably starting to teeth. Puppies revert back some when they are teething and make mistakes that had mastered before, however the peeing on the carpet "on purpose" after she has gone out in the morning doenst really fit that. The other thing that it sounds like is seperation anxiety. Even though it happens when you come home as well, that is thier way of telling you that they are upset about being left alone. Couple things to try is to put one of your "smelly" shirt like something you wore to work out in, or something you wear alot that hasnt been washed. Put that in the area with her. The option is to get a 'thundershirt'. They are about 40 bucks (you can get them online or at pet stores) and this helps calm dogs from any kind of anxiety and may help.
    the other reason could be a medical problem, even though you dont think she has the typical symptoms of a urinary tract infection. She shoudl be close to a check up and another vaccination appointment so I would mention this when she sees the vet.
  • Welshie_girl
    Welshie_girl Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Sounds like anxiety to me . I agree , don't get her too excited when you come home. Don't make a big deal of you coming/ leaving, That's how separation anxiety grows , and since you don't know her background, maybe there is something you do that reminds her of previous owner. Maybe someone hit her, maybe she thinks she did something bad and will get punished.

http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Bach-Rescue-Remedy-Flower-Essences/238000.aspx?click=5&9gtype=search&9gkw=Rescue Remedy For Dogs&9gad=9729070019&gclid=CI7DjbWB0rICFYTd4AodUG0AgA

We used this in rescue... hope it helps.