Do You Follow The Scales? Or Go By Inches Or Your Clothes?

Options
Should you really go by the scales?

Is it better to go by inches because the scales could go up due to muscle gain & water weight?

Replies

• alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    The scale bounces like an evil tease. Inches are more positive. That being said, it's the scale that I check every day
  • jaxg1234
    Options
    Same, it just annoys me! Because your body can flactuate so much!
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Both! The scale warns me if I start gaining so I can adjust my menu and workout. Inches because if I don't lose weight and I lose inches it means my workouts are doing what they are supposed to be doing.
  • jaxg1234
    Options
    That's true! I do that as well, I might start measuring myself.
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I do both. But considering how I canNOT get into any of my zip up pants...I'm going by inches at the moment. I think my over indulging over the last month or two has really caught up with me...no longer "bloat" but bonafide pounds that came back. So at the moment, I'm sticking to my calories for the day/week/month and not eating back exercise calories. I'm feeling a little less "bloated" already...but will get on the scale once or twice/wk now...on Mondays and Thursdays. I hope to lose 1 lb/wk and get back to 169 by my birthday on Oct 31st. Then I have a feeling I'll be able to wear ALL of my freaking pants again!!! :\
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I only go by body composition, girth measurements and progress photos. Scale weight is recorded but merely to track fluctuations.
  • jaxg1234
    Options
    Hmmmm I'll just do measurements :) and scales as well :)
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    yah I care way more about my physical appearance than the number on a scale.
    muscle tone can make you look a hundred times better, even when you haven't technically lost any lbs.
  • miss_ally08
    miss_ally08 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I go by both but I'm one of those people that weigh myself everyday but only record a weight like once-a week if that makes sense.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I go by my clothes, my energy levels, my mile time and the amount of weight I add on my lifts every two weeks :laugh:
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    i weigh 15lbs heavier than 1.5 years ago and i fit the same clothes. i go by clothes and bodyfat %
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    All of the above. It totally depends on what you are doing, what your goals are and where you are weight wise. If you have a lot of weight to lose and you are following plan, the scale should be dropping. You are not "gaining" muscle if you are eating at a deficit. Watching your clothes sizes drop is a fabulous reward to all your hard work!! I wish I had measured my body in the beginning. I did about halfway through though and that's been awesome to watch as well. I'd say also pay attention to body fat percentage.

I dropped 60 lbs and went from size 22-16. Then over the course of the last 9 lbs I've gone from size 16 to 12. So like I said inches and clothes matter.. but before I had a significant amount of weight to lose... now its all basically in my stomach. My pants sizes better be dropping rapidly. LOL

Hezz
  • amruden
    amruden Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    At 1st I only went by the scale... and learned real quick she is a B!tch.
    I have lost the same 5lbs over and over.
    Started having an Affair with my Tape Measure...lost inches. So I'm getn smaller.
    But still visit that *kitten* the scale every once and awhile.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Of those two options, measurements are far more important because they tell a person a lot about his or her changing body composition. The scale tells a person far less about body composition.
  • apachetear1710
    Options
    I go by the scales - have thought about going by the tape measure too!!

Can someone tell me, why MFP, ask for a neck measurement?
  • amruden
    amruden Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    You change that to what ever you want to measure.

I have one labeled "fat roll". :-)
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I dont see how people can weigh themselves every day, i couldnt do that. I like the build up to the weigh in day but ultimately as long as i know i've put the work in i dont mind if my body fluctuates all that much.

I like to go on inches, When clothes look better on you thats a bigger boost than a number for me :)
  • Ewaldt
    Ewaldt Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I would do both! Because both will fluctuate based on whether you are losing fat, or gaining muscle, and I want to get as much reassurance as I can!!! So my hope is always that if one gets worse, the other will hopefully be a little bit better. Mostly, when I hit my goal, I want to be able to see exactly how far I have come to get there! Inches and pounds!
  • jaxg1234
    Options
    Yeah I really should start measuring.

I hate the scales sometimes it's so depressing....

Even though you just want the number to change haha. :)
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Clothes!!! I have dropped 2 sizes, which is more important to me than how much I weight.