Does weight loss = vanity?

Options
I have lost 67 pounds since September 25th 2011. Weight loss changes a lot about a person-their physique AND their mindset. Since losing weight, I have developed a healthier view of my relationship with food and also a genuine passion for fitness. Nutrition is fun to me, and it is a good part of my life these days.

I had a friend comment the other day that she felt my weight loss has made me vain, due to my progress pictures on Facebook. Keep in mind, my pictures are relatively modest, I'm not fat (in my opinion) or thin, so I know better than to post revealing pics of some great body I think I have.

I'm just proud of the changes I've made in my life and am excited to share my success with others...does this equate to vanity? :(

Replies

• Zalli
    Zalli Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who posts her weight loss progress pics and I've never felt it was because of vanity. She is so excited about her newfound health and strong body--I can't help but smile and cheer her on.

When something good happens in y our life, you want to SHARE it. :)
  • MissBee2004
    Options
    I have a theory about this:

When you lose a gigantic dent of weight, it's natural to become a little b*tchy because you want to get more happy endorphins in all areas of your life -- whether or not its vanity is subjective --but if it makes you feel good and other people just have to suck it up and deal, do it. Sure other people think you're vain or b*tchy but it's better than the alternative!
  • GeekyGoddess
    Options
    With me it's allllll vanity. And I own it. He'll ya I'm vain! Dancing in front of the mirror: check. A million photos of my tut and cleavage: check. And that's after only losing 30 lbs. imagine what it's going to be like when I'm actually skinny. Own your vanity honey, if you don't let the comment bother you, you disarm the obvious malicious tone from the commenter. She's jealous. She should own that.
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    To you, it's you trying to Share and possibly inspire someone else to also take the weight loss journey. But for the people seeing these posts, they may think you're showing off. These people are usually miserable in their own skins and need to take the journey, but are afraid to. They may also be jealous. Sit down and talk with her. It seems there's been alot of posts lately about how people on Facebook are getting pissy about your weight loss success. So you aren't the only one who has been experiencing things like this. Regardless, be proud of what you've accomplished. Just don't be surprised if the people who aren't journeying with you don't share your enthusiasm.
  • CherryTinsel
    CherryTinsel Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    First of all: congrats on your awesome achievement!

I think she's projecting her own self-loathing and poor feelings onto you.. You have a right to be proud and happy of the accomplishments you've achieved and it's definitely worthy of sharing with your friends and family. I don't think it's vain at all to share it and let them see all the hard work you've put in to bettering yourself. If she was only saying it because of the progress pictures then what, does she think that by you walking around you're flaunting it? Give me a break!

Be happy with your accomplishments and realise that she's either jealous or insecure about her own body. :)
  • waytogoraus
    Options
    I know for me weight loss has caused me to care a lot more about my looks in general, which I guess could be perceived as "vanity." I used to just walk out of the house in sweatpants and hoodies, not caring at all. For a year straight I wore baggy dresses with leggings because I thought I was too fat to wear jeans. -98 pounds later, I carefully chose my outfits almost everyday. I spend a good amount of time in the morning fixing my hair & doing makeup.

In my opinion, I didn't become more "vain;" I truly believe that now I don't have to hide behind my fat. I can now be the person I always wanted to be, without worrying about being judged by my weight, and that is something to be proud of.

If your friend has never had weight loss (or other major change in outward appearance) progress, she probably simply doesn't understand where you are coming from.
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I know for me weight loss has caused me to care a lot more about my looks in general, which I guess could be perceived as "vanity." I used to just walk out of the house in sweatpants and hoodies, not caring at all. For a year straight I wore baggy dresses with leggings because I thought I was too fat to wear jeans. -98 pounds later, I carefully chose my outfits almost everyday. I spend a good amount of time in the morning fixing my hair & doing makeup.

In my opinion, I didn't become more "vain;" I truly believe that now I don't have to hide behind my fat. I can now be the person I always wanted to be, without worrying about being judged by my weight, and that is something to be proud of.

If your friend has never had weight loss (or other major change in outward appearance) progress, she probably simply doesn't understand where you are coming from.

This.

It sounds like its time to purge your FB friends list. I did mine but not based on who I speak to the most - I deleted all negative thinkers/doers and kept people I felt were positive about things in general. That way I think my general daily FB read will become more positive which will only aid my current positive mental attitude and will to achieve things
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    to some im sure it does
    for me it does. i plan to love the crap out of me once the mirror shows something halfway swexy
    do i care what other ppl think of that plan . fork no
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I have become much more vain since I lost 40lbs. I constantly look at myself in the mirror (I love staring at the subtle changes in by body – latest observation is that my inner thighs curve inward a little), make sure my clothes look their best and I ADORE buying and playing with new makeup.

My question is, how is this a bad thing? I have not emptied out my savings account buying clothes or makeup. I haven’t gotten into a car wreck because I was too busy staring at myself instead of the road.

IMO, vanity and self-respect are related, and I do not think you can truly enjoy yourself unless you are a bit vain. I wish that everyone had an ego as inflated as mine is :-)
  • Xorknup84
    Xorknup84 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Not at all!!! Currently, weight loss is still an exciting new thing for you. My mom lost 80 lbs in 2006. When she first lost all of the weight, she wanted to buy all the clothes, be in all the pictures, and just generally be out and seen. For the first time in years she could run into a store, pick anything, throw it on, love it, and buy it. There is nothing wrong with any of this! We deserve to do it, because we have worked HARD to get to this point. If your friend can't support this, then maybe they don't deserve your company. You finally aren't afraid to be seen, in the spotlight, and you deserve to shine!

Eventually being thin became an everyday part of my mother's life, and pictures became just pictures, clothes became just clothes. So enjoy this now, and don't look back! :)