Help with puppy, please!

Options
2»

Replies

• Nicolette_Karls
    Options
    My family has a cocker spaniel, and he was a little butt to potty train. He went from being at home with his mom, litter, and sister from an earlier litter to being at our house in the crate for a couple hours everyday. My dog peed and pooped in the house for attention; on days where he had to spend more time in his crate, he would always do it. Or days where he felt we were ignoring him.

My advice is to not discipline him with yelling or showing a lot of attention. If he peed on the floor, put him quietly in the crate, clean up the mess, and do not give into puppy whining. When you do let him out of the crate, walk him outside, reward him for going outside, and then play with him. He'll associate peeing outside with love and attention from you! If he pees in his crate, put him outside, clean out the crate, give him a bath, and then immediately into the crate.

It worked for our dog. If you don't give him attention for acting badly, then he will learn not to do it!

Good luck!
  • asmallermeplz
    asmallermeplz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I know you might not think so but dogs love there crate it is there home. We call ours his bedroom. LOL
    Keep her in her crate anytime you leave and at night to sleep. Leave the door open when you are home and it`s not bed time .
    As soon as you walk in the house go and get her from her crate and take her for a walk. Try not to use the baby gate she will feel locked out from you. The crate is her safe place. She will not make a mess in it for long. :happy: Sounds like she misses you and is mad you are leaving just give her a bone or chewy in the crate when you leave. She will be fine soon. Good Luck!!:flowerforyou:
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I keep the crate in the kitchen and she sleeps in the crate. It's about the perfect size for her to circle around, but not big. I feel guilty leaving her just in the crate all day because sometimes I work 6ish hours. That's why I leave her crate in the kitchen with her for sleeping and put a baby gate up so that she doesn't get into everything in the whole house.

I do have a kong, I should try that.

I also do not ever clean up her messes in front of her. When she goes outside, I always use my clicker and treat and praise her.

Crates should be left in the room where the family spends the most time, it makes the dog more relaxed. Sorry throwing out all these suggestions cause we had a lot of the same problems. Is she a large breed? Cause if she is do NOT use a wet pad it confuses them and they will go in the house more. Large breeds can hold their bladder a lot longer.
  • StillChangingAmie
    Options
    Well since you know she's doing it at the same times every day, and since it's when you leave and come back, it may be her way of showing some mild separation anxiety.
    Try showing her that you leaving is nothing big. Right now, it's a process.
    You take her out
    She goes potty
    You set up the baby gate
    You leave
    She's alone.
    See what I'm getting at? :]

Now, try this. Before you take her out to potty, do what you need to do before you leave. (Jacket, shoes, keys, etc). Take her out to go potty, bring her inside, and leave without saying a word. Wait about 30 seconds or so, come back inside, and give her a treat. Pet her. Then, leave again. Check the mail, make a phone call, whatever. Wait 5 minutes, treat her. Then set up the baby gate. Leave for 30 seconds again, treat her again, etc. Do this for a couple mornings and I promise you, you leaving won't be such a big deal anymore! :] (No offence, it's just that puppies need to be taught independence!)

As for you coming home, maybe she needs a walk during the day, or some puppy pads in a room without carpet? Even up until 5 months, puppies shouldn't be expected to hold their wee more than 2 to 3 hours.

Also, don't listen to anyone else here. If you continue to let your puppy go potty in the crate, then she will never sleep in there. Maybe close it when you're not home?
    x
  • scinamon1
    scinamon1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Our vets have always told us peanuts are poisonous for dogs and not to give them that, or tea, coffee, grapes, chocolate, coconut, almonds (also in curries and things- so you have to be careful!).

Maybe vets in the US say something different? But here vets ALWAYS tell you not to give dogs peanuts.

We found this out when my dog got into my sister's room when he was a puppy, managed to untie and unwrap a box of chocolates and eat about half a pound of them. We took him to teh vet and they made him sick and told us never to feed him any of these things. It has been repeated to us by trainers and various other vets since then.

I always think it is better to be safe than sorry with these things; I'm gonna trust the professionals I know here

:flowerforyou:
  • tinamwaits
    Options
    I understand your frustration! I have two dogs that both came from the shelter. The oldest I got when she was only 6 weeks old and she was easy to train by keeping her in a crate when I wasn't home. The second, however, I didn't get until she was five months old and she was so difficult to train! It took a couple months to get her completely trained... I still can't allow her to go near the cat's litter box because then she thinks she is supposed to pee there lol. It WILL get better I promise! On a more positive note she is also the sweetest dog EVER :)
  • SkylerNshape
    Options
    Maybe she's thinking; hey she really gets excited and pets me a lot when I go pee pee, If it works outside maybe it will work in here, lol, I think she's loving the attention, I would just keep the routine up but not make a big deal out of it when she wets outside.
  • StillChangingAmie
    Options
    Maybe she's thinking; hey she really gets excited and pets me a lot when I go pee pee, If it works outside maybe it will work in here, lol, I think she's loving the attention, I would just keep the routine up but not make a big deal out of it when she wets outside.

:[ This is the mistake a lot of dog owners make. If there's no difference between how you react when she wets outside vs. when she wets on the carpet, how is SHE supposed to know the difference?
    Praise goes a long way!
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    8 hours is a very long time to leave a puppy home alone. She definitely has separation anxiety. I would agree with the Kong so she has something to do while you're gone and maybe you could come home for lunch a couple times a week to spend more time with her?
  • SkylerNshape
    Options

:[ This is the mistake a lot of dog owners make. If there's no difference between how you react when she wets outside vs. when she wets on the carpet, how is SHE supposed to know the difference?
    Praise goes a long way!

I said just not make a big deal out of it, say atta girl, or good girl, and let it be, being overly excited, or too mcuh praise can mess with her mind, making her self conscience about the whole thing.
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    First, I am so glad you rescued a puppy.

Second, about a year ago I rescued a puppy. They didn't know her age, but guessed 3-4 months. So that would make her about a year now. She is still not potty trained. Well, yes she is, but she will go wherever just to screw with me. For example, she loves peeing or pooping in my bedroom. I had to get an extra tall gate (because she jumps over the normal height gates) to block that room off from her. She will now come get me to go outside. She also used to pee in the crate because the crate was too big for her. I've also learned if I have to bring her outside for me to go to work I give her extra time outside. If she normally takes 10 minutes, I will allow 20. She will just wait and wait knowing when we go back inside she will be going in her crate. (She knows my work uniform, as soon as I grab those shoes, she knows). Giving her that extra play time seems to really help, she doesn't think it's as bad.

So once we are outside, by the time she goes potty, we will stay out an extra 5-10 minutes playing. And someone suggested making sure you are completely ready to go when you come back inside, I do that too. She still hates going in the crate but the going potty in the crate as stopped now that I've given her extra time outside to play. Also, she knows when I get home we go right outside to PLAY and to go potty. But I don't play outside with her until after she pees and poops. If she tries, I tell her no, focus, go potty. I swear now when I say "Focus, Go potty" she does.

Little dog treats are good too for getting her to go outside. Don't be afraid to start off larger, just so she sees it in your hand and follows you outside to get the treat. Instead of her running back into her crate. She might be thinking her crate IS her potty if she isn't put in there when you are gone. She might be thinking, oh cool, I was left this area to pee! My dog stays in the crate when I'm at work, she has to otherwise she will rip things apart. But 6 hours is probably too long for her bladder at this point. If you are blocking her off in one room, don't include the crate in that room. I am thinking she might be confused on where she is expected to pee.

Also, my dog was returned to the pound 4 times because she "couldnt get the hang of potty training". Stick with it, be consistent and firm with her. Sedona (my dog) still has accidents every now and then, but she is getting a lot better. She stopped thinking "going outside means I have to go in the crate" or "going outside means I get locked up and my mom leaves me", and your pup will too!

Oh and another thing I do, when I get home, I don't go right to the crate. I use the restroom, I put the groceries on the counter, whatever it may be. Then I get Sedona out of the crate and bring her outside. She is still excited to see me, but she has calmed down a little by then. She used to (and still does on occasion) pee just out of pure excitement. I have one friend that any time she comes over we have to greet her outside because Sedona will pee everywhere. So when you get home, try not to act all excited towards the puppy. I know it is hard to do, but I've found the best thing for Sedona is to just open her crate door, leash in my hand, clip her and say "let's go outside". After she pees/poops THEN I greet her like I haven't seen her in days.
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Our vets have always told us peanuts are poisonous for dogs and not to give them that, or tea, coffee, grapes, chocolate, coconut, almonds (also in curries and things- so you have to be careful!).

Maybe vets in the US say something different? But here vets ALWAYS tell you not to give dogs peanuts.

We found this out when my dog got into my sister's room when he was a puppy, managed to untie and unwrap a box of chocolates and eat about half a pound of them. We took him to teh vet and they made him sick and told us never to feed him any of these things. It has been repeated to us by trainers and various other vets since then.

I always think it is better to be safe than sorry with these things; I'm gonna trust the professionals I know here

Tea, coffee, grapes, chocolate (although, american chocolate doesnt have enough cocoa beans but still wouldnt risk it), coconut, and a few other things I would agree with. However, there are A LOT of dog treats that use peanut butter. 1 out of 3 treats are peanut butter flavored, typically the choices are chicken, beef, peanut butter. This is in the US. So maybe you are right that it is different depending where you live. Weird though if that is true.
  • rknrvt
    Options
    Hi, Ive been an RVT, Registered Veterinary Technician, for 22 yrs., and puppies can get urinary tract infections quite easily. You need to rule out medical reasons first, and go from there.

ps. I hope she's had her vaccines! She should of had 3 sets so far.
  • rknrvt
    Options

Tea, coffee, grapes, chocolate (although, american chocolate doesnt have enough cocoa beans but still wouldnt risk it), coconut, and a few other things I would agree with. However, there are A LOT of dog treats that use peanut butter. 1 out of 3 treats are peanut butter flavored, typically the choices are chicken, beef, peanut butter. This is in the US. So maybe you are right that it is different depending where you live. Weird though if that is true.
  • MuffinTopCadz
    Options
    I do rescues for abused and abandoned animals, and it could be that she gets scared to go outside or does not want to, and the pee is from nerves. My puppy used to do that and it stopped when she got praise for peeing outside.
    She could also be confused - thinking "I dont want to go outside to pee, so here I'm doing it for you on the carpet - now I dont need to go outside!" Instead of picking her up,maybe try go down on your haunches and call her with a "praising" tone, like "come here good girl, thats a good girl". Try let her follow you outside
    She will grow out of it, just be patient and gives lots of praise :)
  • rknrvt
    Options

In general nuts aren't bad for dogs, but they can be deadly if moldy. Moldy peanuts, walnuts, almonds etc contain a neuro toxin that can cause tremors, seizures and sometimes death. There is enough cocoa in ALL chocolate to be potentially deadly if enough is consumed. The darker the chocolate, the more toxic it is.
  • rknrvt
    Options
    You should take her out immediately after she eats, when she wakes up, and when she's done playing. And remember to PRAISE PRAISE PRAISE