What's the importance of sodium?

Options
It might seem a stupid question to some. I mean, I know we have to have salt in our bodies. But I've just changed my settings to track my sodium intake as I thought my diet might be high in salt and it turns out I'm getting nowherre near enough sodium as I should be. What woud be the harm in it? How on earth do I increase it without eating rubbish that will tip other things over the edge? I know people have said the settings on MFP can be incorrect but I mean it's WAY out. I'll open up my diary incase people need to look.

Replies

• shanster23
    shanster23 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I think the sodium isn't logged in a lot of foods. There are plenty things in my diary that I'm sure must have sodium in them, but MFP says they have none. I'm usually between 400-1000 for sodium and I'm supposed to get 2500. I don't really pay too much attention to it anymore. :)
  • Lisamar74
    Options
    Aah, yes, you're probably right. People probably don't bother entering the sodium details:)
  • Sick_Beard
    Sick_Beard Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Basically it helps your body to retain water and electrolyte balance in the body and have some effect on muscles and nerves as well
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    You might be getting more than you think. The value isn't in all of the entries for foods. A common mistake I've seen is people getting confused between g and mg, and entering, for example, 0.4 mg of sodium (which would show up as 0) when it should be 400 mg. Looking at your diary - smoked salmon definitely has sodium. Yesterday I had 32 g of smoked salmon, which had 384 mg of sodium.
  • Lisamar74
    Options
    You might be getting more than you think. The value isn't in all of the entries for foods. A common mistake I've seen is people getting confused between g and mg, and entering, for example, 0.4 mg of sodium (which would show up as 0) when it should be 400 mg. Looking at your diary - smoked salmon definitely has sodium. Yesterday I had 32 g of smoked salmon, which had 384 mg of sodium.

Thanks! I'm going to start updating the database with the sodium levels of the foods I eat. Would like to track it as I've just read on the internet lack of sodium causes fatigue. I've always always been a very tired person and my family say it's cos I'm veggie which could be partly right. I've read that celery is good for sodium intake so might have some of that each day.
  • Lisamar74
    Options
    Basically it helps your body to retain water and electrolyte balance in the body and have some effect on muscles and nerves as well

I wonder if this is why I go to the toilet alot? Because my body isn't retaining water? I even have to get out of bed at least twice during the night to go, which is annoying.
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    sodium is used in the heart... high or low sodium can cause arrhythmia (bad rhythms)... it can also cause mental imbalances (in the elderly who have sudden onset mental changes the first thing we look for is their sodium...)

in young healthy people who eat normally (or what normal SHOULD be) there is probably little risk of falling short... mfp database doesn't always include sodium... and there is a LOT of sodium in different foods... especially if you eat any canned or processed foods
  • Lisamar74
    Options
    sodium is used in the heart... high or low sodium can cause arrhythmia (bad rhythms)... it can also cause mental imbalances (in the elderly who have sudden onset mental changes the first thing we look for is their sodium...)

in young healthy people who eat normally (or what normal SHOULD be) there is probably little risk of falling short... mfp database doesn't always include sodium... and there is a LOT of sodium in different foods... especially if you eat any canned or processed foods

Thanks! Think I'll just stop tracking it then! No point worrying over it. I mean, when I have a pizza as a treat, that'll definately have enough salt in it!
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I think the sodium isn't logged in a lot of foods. There are plenty things in my diary that I'm sure must have sodium in them, but MFP says they have none. I'm usually between 400-1000 for sodium and I'm supposed to get 2500. I don't really pay too much attention to it anymore. :)

The 2500 is an upper limit If you are a healthy adult with no known medical issues. You need at a minimum between 500-750mg a day for health but you will feel sluggish and can cause other heart problems. As we age or if you have high blood pressure or heart disease the upper limit decreases to 1500. Keeping a diet low in sodium is not hard if you cut out processed foods but it cannot be cut completely as it naturally occuring in a lot of food.

A lot of entries in the MFP database that have been added by users is often incorrect as they only added calories and other macros that they were tracking making it useless for everyone else
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Think I'll just stop tracking it then! No point worrying over it. I mean, when I have a pizza as a treat, that'll definately have enough salt in it!

if you are worried about it you can ask your doc to check your levels... simple blood test (not even a fasting one)... and being low CAN impact energy levels... but since you said you are veggie I would guess it is more likely to be iron or B vit deficiency...

BUT... always talk to your doc :) if you are concerned :)
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    It's an interesting topic. My dad used to put so much salt on his food, it was ridiculous. He's in his 70s now. He'd pour it on like it was salt - we told him he would get high blood pressure etc. His blood pressure readings were always normal. I do some work with very old people (people in their 80s, 90s, 100s) and they pour on salt like it's sauce. Which makes me think that salt won't kill you. Sure, you'll retain water and if you're trying to get that six pack, it's not gonna help but otherwise... so what?
  • Lisamar74
    Options
    It's an interesting topic. My dad used to put so much salt on his food, it was ridiculous. He's in his 70s now. He'd pour it on like it was salt - we told him he would get high blood pressure etc. His blood pressure readings were always normal. I do some work with very old people (people in their 80s, 90s, 100s) and they pour on salt like it's sauce. Which makes me think that salt won't kill you. Sure, you'll retain water and if you're trying to get that six pack, it's not gonna help but otherwise... so what?

Oh god, will it stop me getting the six pack I'm working towards?!! That's not good!
  • darrensurrey
    Options

Oh god, will it stop me getting the six pack I'm working towards?!! That's not good!

Depends how important the six pack is. :D
  • Lisamar74
    Options

Grr, it's really important given that I'm doing shred at moment and planning on following it up with the rest of Jillian Michaels' DVDs. I'm going to start eating celery to be on the safe side - it's a healthy way of getting your salt intake apparently.

Depends how important the six pack is. :D
  • lamron
    lamron Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I actually track the sodium levels in my diet - since I track and keep the sodium levels low, I havent had a migraine or even a headache. Happy days.
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    Grr, it's really important given that I'm doing shred at moment and planning on following it up with the rest of Jillian Michaels' DVDs. I'm going to start eating celery to be on the safe side - it's a healthy way of getting your salt intake apparently.

Just don't add salt to your food. You'll probably get it in other things, anyway.
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    The average stalk of celery has about 35mg of sodium. Unless you plan on eating a ton of celery, that is not at all an effective way to add sodium to your diet.

If you are exercising and sweating, it is reasonable to say you should consume some added salt (ie: sprinkle salt onto natural foods) to ensure your sodium levels don't drop. There is no particular reason you should be avoiding it. If you eat a mostly whole foods diet, it's doubtful you are going to get too much.

As triathletes, it is very common for us to consume salt capsules during long workouts. Sodium levels are quite volitile in the body and even a small drop can cause extreme fatigue.

If you are concerned about water retension, just balance out your sodium intake with plenty of high potassium foods.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I actually track the sodium levels in my diet - since I track and keep the sodium levels low, I havent had a migraine or even a headache. Happy days.
    I too track sodium levels. I care more about that than calories or carbs. Since lowering my sodium intake to under 1000mg a day, usually around 500-700mg a day, I am off my BP meds, do not get headaches anymore, don't wake up with headaches, swollen eyes, or puffy ankles, and feel so much better. Another poster said "...You need at a minimum between 500-750mg a day for health but you will feel sluggish..." but not true for me. I felt way worse at over 2000mg of sodium a day, so go with how you feel. There's no harm in low sodium intake -- go with how you feel. AND talk to your doctor. We're not doctors here and everyone has different sensitivities to sodium, so go to the source and get the real skinny on sodium for you.