I am such a loser lol

peej76
peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
So, I was being a little cocky with myself. I decided to go for a bike ride today.The last time I rode a bike was years ago, when I was at a very inactive stage of my life, and it did not work out well. So now I work out everyday for a half hour to an hour, I thought I would be able to kick butt on the bike. I told my husband I'll be back in about an hour, I'm gonna go to Stirling and back. Ha, yeah didn't quite happen, not even close. My legs felt like they could move no longer, my throat was burning like no other workout, I was sweating and my butt hurt....bad. So I pushed myself a little more, then decided to call it quits. I got home and my husband was laughing his butt off at me. I thought for sure I was gone for at least a half an hour, but he said it was closer to 10 minutes. I came to the realization that I am not yet the super athletic woman that I thought I was lol!!!

Replies

• peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    So, I was being a little cocky with myself. I decided to go for a bike ride today.The last time I rode a bike was years ago, when I was at a very inactive stage of my life, and it did not work out well. So now I work out everyday for a half hour to an hour, I thought I would be able to kick butt on the bike. I told my husband I'll be back in about an hour, I'm gonna go to Stirling and back. Ha, yeah didn't quite happen, not even close. My legs felt like they could move no longer, my throat was burning like no other workout, I was sweating and my butt hurt....bad. So I pushed myself a little more, then decided to call it quits. I got home and my husband was laughing his butt off at me. I thought for sure I was gone for at least a half an hour, but he said it was closer to 10 minutes. I came to the realization that I am not yet the super athletic woman that I thought I was lol!!!
  • chriss1tt
    chriss1tt Posts: 365 Member
    :laugh: :laugh: Right there with ya.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    :laugh:

But kudos to you for giving it a shot. Those first few bike rides of the season are killer...mostly because.....:embarassed: "Like a Virgin....touched for the very first time....." :embarassed: (yeouch!)
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Wow, actually sounds like you might just need a little air in your tires! That can make riding your bike feel that way. Check it out before you call it quits on bike riding!
  • mrsksanchez
    mrsksanchez Posts: 64
    i was actually gonna try riding to work but thought the route a little dangerous so never tried
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member

That was me back in November. I thought I was a cycling pro b/c I could go for miles on the stationary one at the gym...NOT...but the good news is...I kept trying and now I LOVE IT more than any other form of exercise. I do at least 11 miles a day plus my gym work out on four of those days. I ride to work, to my kids baseball and softball games and anywhere else that I can make it work. I am doing so much of it that I am looking into buying a good bike aka known as NOT A WALMART bike. My hubby, who is anti exercise, even bought a bike. Yesterday, he took a vacation day and we rode all morning. It was so fun. Even better, I kicked his butt!
  • ohthatbambi
    i was actually gonna try riding to work but thought the route a little dangerous so never tried

I was very scared at first. VERY. I used that as my excuse. So I started out riding on neighborhood streets and then moved on to ones that were a little busier. Now I ride on the highway. Everyone just gets out of my way. I find that people move out of the way more when I am on a bike than when I am running. now that I am riding so much, I actually feel safer on the bike than on foot!
  • thisisforme
    thisisforme Posts: 28
    Thanks for the story. That is why I like this site. We can share, "What Really" happens and not worry about judgements that society tends to pass.

Keep it up! Maybe an upgrade and the seat to help your back pockets.

Trish:wink:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Got a good seat--I bought a hornless one and love it! Here's a link so you can see what I mean. It has made all the difference in the world! I feel like I could ride all day on this seat.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000DZGLVY

Don't give up. I just posted the other day how the first time I went out last month, it took me almost 90 minutes and I didn't even go hardly 3 or 4 miles. Now I'm up to 10-15 miles a day and can do that in anywhere from 40 minutes to an hour, depending on hills or not :happy:
  • akrahmer
    akrahmer Posts: 15
    I just started biking again, too. I bought the best bike ever for my commute to work. During this past winter, I made it a habit to walk 30-60 minutes on my treadmill, so I'm not in horrible horrible shape, but I've never cycled long distances since I was about ten years old. (And I'll be hitting 29 on Friday.)

I decided that, to save on gas and to force myself to get into better shape, I would commute to work, which is approximately 6.5-7 miles each way. My first commute ride in the morning, I was contemplating allowing a car to hit me, just so that I would be able to lay down in a bed and get carried to my office. I wanted to die. My second ride, that afternoon, was actually much better. And now, I've gone three times, and it's gotten a lot better, a lot more quickly. While I'm still winded and my bottom still gets to hurting toward the end, I'm no longer feeling like I want to die, and my lungs seem to have strengthened. This is only the third day I've ridden in, and granted, each day it's nearly 15 miles total, but I am surprised by how quickly my body has acclimated.

SO...I just wanted to tell you, Shorerider, that I know exactly how you felt on that first ride, but you're going to _quickly_ gain the good condition to ride. I promise--if I can do it, anyone can. I'm not in amazing shape, and I'm carrying thirty extra pounds. But it's definitely doable.
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    My first commute ride in the morning, I was contemplating allowing a car to hit me, just so that I would be able to lay down in a bed and get carried to my office.

So funny! I was always so stressed out about finals week in college, that I joked on the way to my finals I would let a bus hit me so I could go to the hospital and rest instead. :wink:

I have biked twice this year so far. The first time was 5 miles, the second time was 7 miles. Both times my BUTT and ....um....lady parts were killing me! I think I just have to get used to it, but bike seats are a killer! :laugh:
  • ohthatbambi
    My first commute ride in the morning, I was contemplating allowing a car to hit me, just so that I would be able to lay down in a bed and get carried to my office.

So funny! I was always so stressed out about finals week in college, that I joked on the way to my finals I would let a bus hit me so I could go to the hospital and rest instead. :wink:

I have biked twice this year so far. The first time was 5 miles, the second time was 7 miles. Both times my BUTT and ....um....lady parts were killing me! I think I just have to get used to it, but bike seats are a killer! :laugh:

Padded bike shorts are a MUST and if you have to resort to the "old lady" seat. My hubby got a big old seat for his bike and it is soooooooooooooo much more comfy than mine. Think I might have to get one too!
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member

oooo, ooooo, ooooo, that EXACT same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago!!!! and it will never happen again! haha
    I got my water and phone got on my cushiony seat, mapped out a relatively short 3.5 mile route thinking there weren't any really BIG hills, just some gradual ones. And off I went, down my hill around the corner (dong good so far) go right, have to try and figure out all these gears, take another right, doing fine, it's flat. Okay, semi main road, take left, uh oh, gradual hill, going slower! Take a small breath and water, get to stop sign in front of park (hope noone recognizes me) take a left. Okay, little hill going down, good, starts going up and oh, what's that up ahead? a police radar speed checker, ahhhh, I'm going 14, 13, 12! haha and it's right in front of a cemetary, and how appropriate, 'cause I think I'm about to die! Get up the hill (intersection) and can't breathe, still hoping noone recognizes me. I'm almost home, if I can make it up the other darn gradual hill, I get to go down a hill (so I do, and I make it) but I get to another! gradual hill, my neck hurts so bad, I can't breath (I'm surprised my heart monitor watch didn't blow off my wrist!!) I finally get to my road which I coast down, ride into my yard and collapse once I park my bike!
    moral of the story. I'm either moving to a neighborhood with NO HILLS
    or I am never riding my bike in this neighborhood again!
    btw, I was gone for 20 minutes!