What gives?

I have now went 3 months without losing a pound. I started at 2000 cals, didn't lose, went to 1750, didn't lose, went to 1500, didn't lose and have now changed to 1300. I am 6'11" and stuck at 280. I am down from 299 but have hit a long annoying stand still. I am not giving up so I just want some honest advice, and don't worry about hurting my feelings. I lift in the mornings on M,T,Th,F and play basketball for 2 hours on Wed. I have now added in some running and core workouts in the afternoons so I am working out twice a day at least 3 times a week. I stay under my cals daily and usually throw in 1-2 cheat days, which I am now also cutting out. I lost a lot of weight in high school by basically survivng on nothing more than yogurt and protein shake for breakfast, an apple and bottle of water for lunch, 3 hour basketball practice, weights after that and a couple of ham sandwiches and protein shake for dinner. I know that that wasn't good for me and I also don't have 4 hours per day to devote to working out anymore. Any advice?

Replies

• farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Open your food diary so we can see what you are eating
  • Goal_Driven
    Goal_Driven Posts: 371 Member
    Maybe it's what you're eating. You may be under or hitting your calorie goal, but with what foods? Are they healthy choices? Also, maybe try checking out your measurement instead of focusing on the scale number. With all your workouts, you may be building muscle mass :)
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Open your food diary so we can see what you are eating

Thought it was, but it's open now.
  • moosegt35
    Maybe it's what you're eating. You may be under or hitting your calorie goal, but with what foods? Are they healthy choices? Also, maybe try checking out your measurement instead of focusing on the scale number. With all your workouts, you may be building muscle mass :)

I pretty much eat eggs and lean pork chop or steak for breakfast, a lot of dishes made with boiled or baked chicken, lean meats, vegetables, etc. I understand the measurement thing and I have added some muscle but not enough to not notice any weight loss. It's very hard to add a lot of weight in muscle. The cals that I eat and workouts I do I should lose 2-3 pounds/week, I know I haven't added 24 pounds of muscle.
  • moosegt35
    anyone?
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    I am not in any way a nutrition expert, but you seem to living on powders, pasta & processed bars. I cannot see any fruit or vegetables apart from the odd half cup of I assume frozen veg at all, certainly no fruit

Try and substitute the processed powders / drinks with natural fresh vegetables & fruit and see how that goes
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Do you own a food scale and measuring devices and do you use them regularly?

I would also give it a couple of weeks after ditching the cheat days to see what the results are. Depending on the magnitude of the cheat you could be undoing a lot of progress.
  • The lack of vegetables, fruits and whole grains is the problem. The other reason why you are not losing is because you don't eat enough. I know, it sounds crazy but it is true. For example, a 2 egg omelette with mushrooms, pepper, onion and some cheese would be much better than a pork chop. Lasagna can be good, depending on the size, and if you have a 2-3 cup mixed salad full of raw vegetables with low-fat dressing on the side. :-)
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,300 Member
    1) You are not logging consistently

2) You are greatly under eating. Many days show that you have not even had 1000 calories. At your size there is no reason to be eating that little.
  • Are you weighing/measuring everything?

if you're not using measuring cups/spoons and a scale - then you may as well not be measuring at all.

I know you THINK you know what a cup looks like, or a teaspoon, but chances are excellent you're overestimating.
  • to be honest I don't think you are eating nearly enough as you should be... it is making your metabolisim slow down... I am 5'6 and just to lay in bed and do NOTHING ALL DAY my body needs just under 1400 calories a day... And I agree with what was previously stated, you need to start adding fruits and vegetables to your diet, not so much processed food...
  • lynz4589
    lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
    I really struggle with weightloss because of my thyroid. I workout at least 3 times a week, one includes a PT and thought I was doing bad since I only lost 4lb last month, then he measured me and in 3.5 weeks had lost 4.1 inches around the waist between 1 and 2 inches everywhere else so grab a measuring tape before you do anything else, you could be losing fat but gaining muscle which is maybe why you arent seeing results on the scale. Food wise, Im still developing and learning there myself so dont feel qualified or good enough to advise on this but my PT has me on high protein low carbs and seems to work when I can get meal plans right!
  • 1Fizzle
    1Fizzle Posts: 241 Member
    Have you taken measurements of your body? Are your clothes fitting looser? I've come to realize since being on here that the scale does not always tell the full story.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Your food diary tells me you aren't eating D:

You need to get those calories above 1200 minimum, more on days you are burning calories thru vigorous exercise.

Eat more fruits n veggies, and stick with your calorie routine a bit longer than a week. You cant FORCE your body to lose weight, especially if you aren't feeding it in the first place. Be patient with yourself, figure out what you need to get by for calories, and stick to them for a month. Eat those calories via: fruits, veggies, whole grains, stuff like that. You don't have to eat like a rabbit to start shedding weight, but you have to eat SOMETHING besides meat and lasagna. God you sound like my husband :P
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    I looked at your diary. 232 cals for breakfast? Really? You are eating way too few calories. You really need to eat your calories needed. I used to think eating like that would work, but it didn't. Now I eat more than I ever did and I am losing weight. You just have to be patient and not freak out as your body adjusts to your new way of eating.

Also, powders and bars are OK for snacks and protein boosts, but you need to count calories and eat real food. I eat lots of fruit, vegetables and protein and moderate carbs. I now try to eat no less than 200 cals or so below goal, including my exercise cals. I eat 3 meals plus two snacks per day and I am still losing.
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    It might be worth checking with your doctor that you don't have any thyroid or other metabolic problems that are hampering your attempts to lose weight. Agree with everyone else, you need variety in your diet, and consistent logging, even the cheat days so they don't get out of hand. Switching up my workout routine and making it more intensive broke a month long plateau I had so you could try that. But remember lasagna isn't a food group :)
  • kuger4119
    kuger4119 Posts: 213 Member
    Is it damning that there is a McDonald's sign in the background of your profile pic? :smile:

I have to agree with those that are saying that your diet blows. I'm not as good as I should be about the veggies but you need to do much, much better in that regard.

Also, make sure that you have a varied exercise routine. You need to run/walk/swim along with lifting. The other thing that you might want to do if you haven't done it in a while is see your doctor. You could have some type of thyroid disorder or something else going on that is affecting you. I'm not a fan of over-medication and doctor visits, but it might be worth a check.

Finally, someone else mentioned that you could be turning jelly into muscle. Break out the tape!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    If it were me, I would bump the calories back up to 15-20% cut from TDEE and change up the workout routine.

ETA: If you keep your workout the same, then your body becomes more efficient calorie burning so you burn fewer calories than before.
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    How are your clothes fitting? Anything tightening up? Are you eating enough for the level of activity you are at now? What does MFP recommend you NET per day? If you're supposed to NET 1,700 but you're NETTING 1,000, that's going to be a problem for your long term success.

Good luck to you!
  • moosegt35
    Is it damning that there is a McDonald's sign in the background of your profile pic? :smile:

I have to agree with those that are saying that your diet blows. I'm not as good as I should be about the veggies but you need to do much, much better in that regard.

Also, make sure that you have a varied exercise routine. You need to run/walk/swim along with lifting. The other thing that you might want to do if you haven't done it in a while is see your doctor. You could have some type of thyroid disorder or something else going on that is affecting you. I'm not a fan of over-medication and doctor visits, but it might be worth a check.

Finally, someone else mentioned that you could be turning jelly into muscle. Break out the tape!

Haha, that is def not me in the profile pic. Just a funny picture. I NEVER eat fast food.