If there were any question about adverse alcohol affects....

Options
I see posts by people, with some regularity, concerning affects of alcohol on diet/fitness progress. I'm here to tell you....PUT THE COORS DOWN!! IT JUST AIN'T WORTH IT!!
I silently joined numerous mfp members in their bid to remain, for a time, alcohol free. I think I successfully abstained for a period of roughly 2 months. Well, it was my girlfriend's birthday celebration on the weekend, and I chose this occaision to rejoin my drinking friends and help my bestie ring in another year. I sooooo wish I could take a Mulligan on this one....lol. Here I sit, on a Wednesday, three days past the celebration day- and I'm still licking my wounds. No catastrophic failure in the food/calorie department, but certainly alot less resolve to make schooled decisions. So essentially I ate more, and additionally, ate things Ive been successfully able to turn my back on since starting mfp. But what is even worse, my head STILL feels a little muddled, my sleep for the last couple of nights has been totally messed up, and my motivation and energy to workout are still, shall we say, not at a premium. I was doing SO well- felt fabulous, and could see no signs of slowing down.......*sigh*
In short, I suppose this is a cautionary tale. I absolutely overdid it. I own that. A little moderation would have gone a long way. Unfortunatley I'm kind of an 'all or nothing' kind of gal. And boy, did that philosophy bite me in *kitten*. On several fronts, my plan has been stalled all for the sake of alcohol. So not worth it. Doesn't help that I'm not young anymore- and recovery time is obviously alot longer than what it once was.
But hey, today is a new day (foggy, and fuzzy as it is.....STILL). Here is where I reclaim my resolve, and once again ditch the booze. This experience has reaffirmed for me how unnecessary and self defeating those weekend cocktails can be. I shortchanged myself, and my efforts up until now. This is my battlecry!!! Onward and forward! And nothing but green tea, black coffee, and water on the horizon...LOL!!

Replies

• bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Alcohol doesn't really impair my judgment re: food choices, it's strange. Maybe it's because I cook in batches and therefore always have convenient healthy food within reach - ordering Chinese or something would be a bigger pain in the *kitten* than just heating up what I already have.

Now, when I smoked pot it was a completely different story. Whenever I had the munchies, everything I ate tasted like the best thing I had ever eaten and I never felt uncomfortably full. That's a dangerous combination.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    thats why I don't stop drinking...of course if you went two months without any the first time you start again will be bad! I keep to a glass or two of red wine a night so when I do go out to party, my body is a well oiled machine who wakes up the next morning ready to rock!
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I take a 6 week break starting Jan 2nd every year. I'm also an "all or nothing" kind of person, but I've been able to tame that on occasion.

If you're careful and really only drink a few drinks a week, you can be fine, especially if you increase your water consumption.
    If you have to do all or nothing, I don't blame you for not touching it at all!
  • Pedalpush
    Pedalpush Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your confession. I will be sure to keep it in the back of my mind during my next celebretory event. I hope you feel better soon.

I joined the Alcohol Free August group and promptly jumped back off the wagon Sept 1.

I'm near your age and I hear you loud and clear!
  • coloradocami
    coloradocami Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Moderation doesn't work for me...I gave it up completely seven months ago and it was the best thing I have ever done for myself! :heart:
  • moriaht
    moriaht Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Alcohol doesn't really impair my judgment re: food choices, it's strange. Maybe it's because I cook in batches and therefore always have convenient healthy food within reach - ordering Chinese or something would be a bigger pain in the *kitten* than just heating up what I already have.

Now, when I smoked pot it was a completely different story. Whenever I had the munchies, everything I ate tasted like the best thing I had ever eaten and I never felt uncomfortably full. That's a dangerous combination.

Agreed! I always have a little wiggle room in my calories for vodka or wine, and smoking some hangover pot the next day :)
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    No thanks I'm good
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    It sounds like the issue is drinking too much, not drinking. I doubt you would be feeling this way if you'd had a single (or even two) drinks. You can't generalize from one experience in which, by your own admission, you massively overdid it to everyone, everywhere, at every time. I don't even think you can generalize to yourself, had you consumed alcohol in moderation. To be clear, I'm not arguing that anyone should drink, I'm just pointing out that you cannot generalize from *one* incident of excess to, well anything really.
  • Melolicious
    Melolicious Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Lol, I hear you! I get that people say 'all things in moderation' but it's that definition of moderation that no one seems to be able to nail down and 'moderation' for one is not moderation for all or we all wouldn't be struggling to lose weight.
    My trainer was very blunt with me one day - that 2x4 to the head kind of blunt - and I realized I have no 'wiggle room' in my nutrition and until I reach a healthy weight, it truly has to be all or nothing. When I'm on track, I feel great, unstoppable even but one 'not great' chose and all of a sudden, I'm ten steps back.
    For me, 'all things in moderation' is actually a really poorly disguised excuse to do the stupid things that made me fat in the first place. I have to walk that straight and narrow path if I want to get to my goal. Maybe I'll be lucky and it'll start to widen but until then...
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is my friend :-)
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Alcohol does sometimes remove my inhibitions about food. At others, it acts as an appetite suppressant.

If you are on a strict, short-term diet, it makes sense to eliminate alcohol. The calories aren't worth it. But if you are trying to change your lifestyle and you drink, you have to figure out how to work in alcohol.
  • missy_1975
    missy_1975 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I love booze. Just love the stuff. Yum, yum yum. What works for one person doesn't always work for another. I've quit drinking for months in the past and not lost a lb.

I factor in my alcohol just like I do my food and I've lost weight. I'd rather have a delicious top shelf cocktail or a cheeky glass of wine (also helping my heart, natch), than "treat" myself to a slice of cake or crisps (chips).

I should probably mention that I've worked in rehab for over 9 years, so I have a reasonably comprehensive understanding of the harmful effects of drinking and substance dependency on both the individual and the surrounding community. Dependency and enjoying something (be it cake or wine) in moderation are two entirely different things.

I'm also Irish, so y'know, my MFP friends would be horrified if I didn't show some love for sweet lady booze in my diary :wink:

So I guess I'm saying, good luck to all you tee teetotalers out there if that's what works for ya, I'll be having my drinkies and still losing weight :drinker: Now where's that merlot....?
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    one of the things im lookiing forward to the most about hitting my goal weight is to be able to start drinking more regularly. for now its just not worth it to me to drink hundreds or thousads of cals since im on a cal deficit.
  • thebigcb
    Options
    If you are not drinking too much alcohol you are doing it all wrong
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

For me, 'all things in moderation' is actually a really poorly disguised excuse to do the stupid things that made me fat in the first place. I have to walk that straight and narrow path if I want to get to my goal.

All things in moderation, including moderation.

I agree, "moderation" is sometimes used as a weak, split-the-baby approach to problems when at times you do have to be all-o- nothing.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    *to each his own*

I have a few cocktails within caloric limits during the week

I binge drink on saturdays hard after a rugby game -- I'm kicking *kitten* and taking names in my workout. I did a stint of no drinking it was nice but I like to drink socially and I love it. For you no drinking works so go for it!
  • stevehomoki
    Options
    Look, I'm not very old in life. I don't have decades in experience in alcohol so don't label me a pest by saying this. But you don't need to decide to either be an alcoholic or be sober for life. You CAN enjoy a couple of shots around once or twice a week without adverse effects. Just remember to drink your water, don't crave into the alcohol sugar/insulin driven hunger blah blah blah.
    I did go through a year of drinking every other day to the point where I get drunk. Typical for my age. But I did stop and reduced dramatically, and I agreed with a lot of other people that cutting it out completely isn't necessary for the long run. You don't need to cut out alcohol from your life. You can enjoy the occasional drink. Just don't over do it!
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    In America it's common place to socialize and celebrate with alcohol. This new lifestyle change of mine has to include alcohol because it's something I love and why would I give it up? I just have to work out harder on days I don't drink. What is the point in getting in shape and sitting home bored? I choose to go out and play hard. Especially now that I have a better looking body. It only feels right to use it and get out in the world and socialize. When I was heavier I stayed in and hid most of the time. Now I'm in regular size clothes and I'll be damned if I don't have a life. My husband and I enjoy wine on the weekends and that will never stop. My weight loss is slower and I understand that, but I'm not miserable. I'd rather have some fun instead of crawling in a hole and not have a life. That's just my personal choice. For those of you who don't care much about alcohol that's fine for you. All the power to you. . It's a matter of choice and I choose to have fun in life with a nice glass of red french wine in hand. I love to go to the theater to see a nice play always having some champagne during intermission. Yes life is good and I hope it stays this way. I'm in my mid 50's and I figure I only have another decade or two to get out and enjoy my life. And I'm going to enjoy every minute of it that I possibly can. So cheers everyone!!
  • thebigcb
    Options
    And yet again drink shows it self to be

"the solution too and cause of all of Lifes probelms"

Cheers
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    OP, you didn't say how many drinks you had, but I'm guessing it's more than one. I'm glad that I am able to drink one or two beers and leave it at that. Hangovers suck.