Weird things nobody tells you about losing weight

Options

Replies

• CandeesLand
    Options
    My knee high boots used to fit snugly around my calves and didn't droop when I walked, now I'm having to wear thicker socks under them to add bulk to keep them from working their way down. I guess it's time to go boot shopping!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I'm constantly cold--should be interesting to see how ski season goes...

My collar bones have popped out... A little disappointing because I had broken one of my collar bones when I was 18. I was always pretty self-conscious of it because it had a big lump in the middle when it healed, but the doctor told me it would resolve over time. And it seemed to. Except now that I've lost weight, I can see the lump again. Boo.

Still waiting the arrival of my hip bones in the front, but not looking forward to having a bony butt because it will hurt to sit for too long...
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I could think of a million more things to mention, but bottom line is....it's so worth every sweat, tear, and pain in the end. I couldn't imagine going back to the "old" me and I won't! We all sooooooo got this!!!!!

This! :)

Everything everyone has mentioned on this thread is so true...but for me, the scary thing was seeing my ribs. I had never seen them before and at first I thought there was something wrong with me. Now I see all sorts of bones but I know they should be there!
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    That your *kitten* will hurt when you lose the fat off your butt and your tailbone sticks out. :(

You'll run out of clothes that are too small. That's a good one but it sucks not having anything to 'try' to fit into anymore!

People pay more attention to you. I find that odd as I treat no one differently. IMO Size only matters for one thing. lol

Your grocery bill will go sky high unless you have a garden.

It's harder to shave bony knees than fat ones. lol Also, I hate how my bony knees touch each other when I sleep on my side.

Fat feet are prettier than bony, skinny ones. Mine remind me of Madonna's hands. Eww

You'll have a lot more energy and your family will think you're having a midlife crisis. One even accused me of having adhd! I just move more because my skinny butt can't sit as long AND I exercise more.

Gas. Healthy food makes a lot of it. <sigh> Although I shall never admit that I fart, Beano is my new friend.

I can't perch my morning cup of coffee on top of my belly anymore. It's gone (the belly) and I'm glad, but I hate using a table. lol

The plastic toilet lid doesn't cave in when you get under 150lbs. Yayy!

While I'm on the topic of bathrooms, I might as well add it's easier to wipe! While I'm in the shower, I can now see my feet AND wrap myself in a towel that actually covers me and doesn't fall off. :)

People will be jealous of your weight loss. I hate that. I'm always happy when someone gets healthier. Also, no one wants to hear you talk about what you eat, what you don't eat, what exercise you did, how many cals you burned during your awesome 2 hour workout, your MFPals or what clothes you can now fit into. You also have to say it's a LIFESTYLE, not a diet or they all yell at you when you eat pizza or anything else that isn't a pile of carrots and celery!

You can beat your dog up the stairs. woohoooo That was one of my favs until I tripped over her while running (not up the stairs) and broke my foot. :(

I can feel my collar bones under the seat belt in my car.

I absolutely loved all of these. My grocery bill is so sky high all the time, I'm considering starting a garden. And beano has also become my new best friend. And you're right, no one else wants to hear about what you ate that day or how many calories you're consuming. Very funny!
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I had to start playing soccer so chicks would stop hitting on me.

How does playing soccer make chicks not hit on you? If anything, I would think they would hit on you more because now you are an athlete/jock...

The presumption of sexual orientation of soccer players in America...

Yeah because David Beckham sure struggles to get female attention sice joining MLS!

Ah yes! David Beckham - he's my favorite American. Born in Omaha, yes?
  • oohmercyme
    oohmercyme Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    What I didn't anticpate...it's a total mindf*uck and people are just plain nicer to you when you aren't fat.

YES! I tried to explain this to people when I lost weight the first time, and people said it was in my head, but it is NOT. People started being nicer to me, talking to me more, holding doors for me, etc.

That's sad; however there could be other factors at work here.

You werent happy with your weight so you went on a diet and achieved your goal! It makes sense then that you are proud of yourself, more confident, happier, maybe more attractive, more approachable

It makes total sense that people are more likely to open doors for smiling, attractive, confident women than they are for shy, sad, women who don't want to be noticed and don't want to be approached

I'll hold a door open for anyone, male or female; however, someone following 20 or 30 yards away - yeah I think I'd wait for the women with a big beaming smile and a spring in her step. You werent happy with how you looked so do you think that was you?

You proved the point. You made quite the generalisation in suggesting that fat chicks cannot be smiling, attractive, and confident and are in fact shy, sad, and unapproachable.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    What I didn't anticpate...it's a total mindf*uck and people are just plain nicer to you when you aren't fat.

YES! I tried to explain this to people when I lost weight the first time, and people said it was in my head, but it is NOT. People started being nicer to me, talking to me more, holding doors for me, etc.

That's sad; however there could be other factors at work here.

You werent happy with your weight so you went on a diet and achieved your goal! It makes sense then that you are proud of yourself, more confident, happier, maybe more attractive, more approachable

It makes total sense that people are more likely to open doors for smiling, attractive, confident women than they are for shy, sad, women who don't want to be noticed and don't want to be approached

I'll hold a door open for anyone, male or female; however, someone following 20 or 30 yards away - yeah I think I'd wait for the women with a big beaming smile and a spring in her step. You werent happy with how you looked so do you think that was you?

You proved the point. You made quite the generalisation in suggesting that fat chicks cannot be smiling, attractive, and confident and are in fact shy, sad, and unapproachable.

No you totally missed the point

Fat chciks who are happy with their weight and smiling, genearally do not go on a diet and lose loads of weight. One would assume now that you have slimmed down, you were not happy with your weight

Still a generalisation but a fair one to assume that someone who is unhappy with how they look, unhappy about their weight, is less likely to be confident and happy

I am happy to stand corrected but how many once overweight women can say they were happy with their weight, happy with how they looked, before they dieted?
  • Time2LightenUp
    Options
    I'm constantly cold--should be interesting to see how ski season goes...

It's funny a thing just the other day I was a lunch and I said I was freezing cold. The little old lady I work with says it's cause you don't have that extra fat keeping you warm. lol I was flattered and insulted all at once! lol
  • PurpleEpiphany
    Options
    My word there are so many. I have lost close to 250 lbs since my highest weight. My extra skin is a huge problem that will have to repaired mecially. Here are a few of my new discoveries...

Smaller fingers - I have lost 4 ring sizes
    it is sometime painful to lean against the back of a chair due to my shoulder blades (I nicknamed them wings)
    my eyes actually seem larger
    people tell me I look taller
    I have a dimple in my smile that I really hadnt noticed more before
    my knee bones sometimes touch and it can be painful
    tailbone is a HUGE issue I have to sit on a special cushion and it still hurts almost all the time
    my belly button got smaller who knew! lol
    totally freezing as many have said, there is a blanket near me at all times and I use an electric blanket for sleep
    I find new bones all the time I have never seen or felt before
    I went to a wedding last week and someone I have known for 20 years almost didnt recognize me, she did a double take
    I have a longer neck then I realized
    but it is all worth it. I am much different much happier person then I ever imagined. :)

:flowerforyou:

OMG the belly button thing! I was in the shower recently and realized that the reason my belly button felt weird...is becase it's shallower! I carry a lot of my weight in my stomach region, and thankfully the belly has finally begun to slim, but it was such a weird moment to realize something like that.

Thanks to everyone who had advice on the rings. I believe I can get it re-sized for free where I got it (Shane Co., I think they're local to Washington but they are awesome, non-commission, etc.) Since the lost in the driveway incident it needs to be re-coated (it's white gold) anyway, because it has nicks on one side from being run over (I kid you not). Since I plan to keep losing, though, I may look into those temporary spacers a few people have told me about in the mean time. The hubby and I want to take both rings in at the same time and get them re-finished and also maybe get an inscription in them since they're just plain white gold bands.

I realized yesterday that it actually fits on the next finger now, which is pretty funny. When we first got engaged, he gave me his grandma's ring which fit on that finger, and I actually wore it there for quite a while before getting it re-sized. I may just do that for a little while until I have time to go get a spacer :)

I had no idea when I started this thread that it would get so huge, but I'm relieved that I'm not the only one experiencing the weird side of weight loss.
  • RLDeShazo
    RLDeShazo Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Now, when I eat the fast food I used to love before, it feels too heavy and blah in my stomach. I wasn't expecting that.
  • scordrick
    Options
    Absolutely! Most of mine are pretty personal but the one I will share is that I found out I have a non-cancerous tumor on my leg bone. The doctor said the more weight I lose, it's more than likely that others may appear. Very strange....
  • AUNique24
    AUNique24 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I don't have to take this big breath to bend over and tie my shoes!
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Ok here's one I'm not proud of

Now that I am fit and not overweight I simply cannot understand how on earth people can eat so much rubbish and not exercise at all.
    I look through McDonald's window and think "Oh my God, how can they eat that!?"
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options

Ah yes! David Beckham - he's my favorite American. Born in Omaha, yes?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

ha!

ha!
    haaaaa!

okay, I'm done.

Moving on, I still make very wide turns around point objects like side tables and dressers. I avoid trying to squeeze through narrow spaces because in my head I can't fit. I still don't feel comfortable sitting on the bench seats in the subway, because I'm convinced I'll "spill" over the person next to me.

The head takes a very long time to catch up to the body, indeed.
  • mllst18
    mllst18 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Me too on the rings! My wedding ring is now perilously loose, and I've only lost 20 lbs since my wedding two years ago. Money is tight so I haven't been able to resize it and I already lost it once in the snow this past winter and (miraculously) found it a week later when things thawed out. I'm thinking of wraping it in string or something so I can at least keep it on my finger!

They make little plastic pieces that you put on your ring if it is too big so it won't fall off....my father-in-law has one for his ring after he lost a bunch of weight....
  • drmryder
    drmryder Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hip bones, I so missed them! Welcome back!! There is a longish lump that travels sort of over them that I had never noticed before. It turns out that with all this hard work I've been doing, that my obliques and my hip flexors do exist!!!
  • donnab83
    donnab83 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Ha! Made me giggle!
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    My boobs are now empty sacks. Now I'm afraid I'll have saggy skin, but I'd rather have that than be where I was a few months ago.

My old tummy stretch marks are starting to itch like crazy. Luckily, lotion is helping.

My legs are getting some muscle definition since starting C25K. It looks weird and gross, though. Hoping it'll even out soon enough.

I wish I would have saved up for more clothes. I'm still wearing most of my old stuff (sweaters and bras) but once in a while I'll buy a new pair of pants.

Being thinner does not mean automatic endurance. When I started C25K I wanted to DIE my first day. Don't put off that program you're thinking about doing. Just jump on in and have fun!
    Oh yeah, I had a ? 4 the ladies (4give if a bit touchy, but...): Does the 3rd pouch, if you were really overweight/obese you know the area I'm referring to (that's unless I was the only one to gain there), talking well below the abs, go completely down or tighten back up?

I sure hope so! I've always had it, though. I figure if I need extra skin removed, maybe the surgeon can take care of that area, too? Ha! Like I could afford that!
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I'm cold. ALL the time. I was sitting in my cubicle with my personal heater on all summer. I sleep in pants and sweatshirts every night. This winter should be interesting. Maybe I should invest in an Eskimo suit....
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Your old favorite pair of underwear, are going to sag.....and are no longer cute, so don't wear them anymore.
    The tightest of boy cuts, will become granny panties...