egg whites vs egg yolks

Options
In the morning i usually will get an egg white omelet with spinach tomato and a little bit of feta cheese, but today they didn't have any egg whites.. So i got a normal omelet with spinach feta and tomato. I didn't enjoy it as much because i love egg whites and the whole time i was eating it i just knew how fattening it was. It was probably a 3 or 4 egg omelet. Did this hurt my diet? I really was craving an omelet which is why i got it regardless but I probably won't do it again.

Also, how many calories do you think this was? I don't know what to log for MFP.

Replies

• MVY_
    MVY_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    It's not bad. If you have been working out good and keeping up with your diet breaking it once won't hurt. Just get back up on your feet and move on.
  • debjae
    debjae Posts: 242
    Options
    Really not bad eggs are about 70-75 calories a piece + nice source of protein. 4 eggs around 290 calories.
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    It's about twice as many calories for eggs versus egg whites, but I think it's also more protein so that's good. Four eggs is probably around 300 calories, so it's still within a pretty normal range for a breakfast. If it were me I wouldn't stress too much, I'd just pay attention to fat and calories for the rest of my day. I'm sure it won't kill your day.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i go with 70 per (large) egg.

luckily, i recently found a place that sells medium eggs. they're only 60 cals.
  • wingednotes
    Options
    You didn't eat a bag of chips. You had eggs. Log them, but don't worry too much about the extra calories - think about what type of fuel you put in your body. In this case, you gave yourself a nice extra dose of protein. You'll probably be full a little longer. You are poised to turn that protein into muscle - add some anaerobic exercise today.
  • icreate
    Options
    Just a little bump on the road but recover immediately :smile:
  • LeidaPrimal
    LeidaPrimal Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    No, it helped your diet. Egg whites are a great extender in an omlette to sub for dairy and will make it fluffier. Pure white omlette lacks a lot of nutrients that are found in the yolk. Particulary in O3 or free-range eggs if you are lucky enough to have a reliable source of those.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Considering most of the good stuff is in the yolk nutrition wise, I personally see no reason to eat only egg whites.
  • hipsdontlie1
    hipsdontlie1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Not a big deal........ I have days where I will only eat egg whites and days where I'll eat 1 egg white and 1 whole egg... your body needs some type of fat to function properly and to help you lose fat. If your not getting fat, your body will hold onto the fat you have stored. Anyways, 1 egg white on average is 17 calories (1 carb, 0 fat, 4 protein). one whole egg is 78 calories (1 carb, 4 fat, 6 protein). Look at it as a source of protein rather than a source of fat.
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    i eat 3 eggs for breakfast omnomnom
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Better to get the cals from something like eggs rather than a candy bar.

Depending on the size of the egg, they are usually 70 calories for a whole egg.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    FATTENING? SMH. I have to get off this thread.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    "Fattening" is a word that 1950's housewives use because they know nothing about nutrition

The only thing "fattening" about an egg is if you eat 600 of them
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    They had eggs but didn't have egg whites, now thats odd.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    . So i got a normal omelet with spinach feta and tomato. I didn't enjoy it as much because i love egg whites and the whole time i was eating it i just knew how fattening it was.

Also, how many calories do you think this was? I don't know what to log for MFP.

facepalm.jpg
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Whole eggs being bad for you is highly over rated. Don't worry about it.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    . So i got a normal omelet with spinach feta and tomato. I didn't enjoy it as much because i love egg whites and the whole time i was eating it i just knew how fattening it was.

facepalm.jpg

couldn't of said it better myself.
  • ar1ms
    ar1ms Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    They had eggs but didn't have egg whites, now thats odd.

I'm at college... they use the cartons of egg whites
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs every day (I have chickens). The fat in the egg is in the yolk. A whole egg has 90 calories. The problem isn't the yolk. The problem is the 3 or 4 eggs and the feta cheese.

Do you know how much salt and fat feta cheese has?

Learn to log. Click on food. Put in the food you ate. Click add. It will tell you the nutritional content.

It's an education.
  • ar1ms
    ar1ms Posts: 98 Member
    Options

facepalm.jpg

couldn't of said it better myself.

calm down i am 19 i am not a pro at this