Personal problem :?

Options
I know this is personal, but I need a little help with a problem I am having. Though I have been losing weight at a steady rate. I have also shall we say (stopped up)....Not at all on the glamorous side of weight loss. But still. It is causing alot of crampng and bloating. Any suggestions on a heatlthy way to stay regular :D

Replies

• jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I checked your diary, but it's pretty inconsistent so I can't say based on that. I can tell you what I tell others who have been there. Track your fiber on the food diary. Know how much fiber you're getting on a regular basis. If you're not getting at least the recommended amount, start eating higher fiber foods. More leafy vegetables, whole grains, fruits. These will help the situation on a regular basis. In the meantime, try a softener to help you out.
  • rhall9058
    rhall9058 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Increase your fiber intake. Here's a blurb to consider:

Dietary fiber — found mainly in fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes — is probably best known for its ability to prevent or relieve constipation. But fiber can provide other health benefits as well, such as lowering your risk of diabetes and heart disease.
  • ChunkiChica
    Options
    If you can't fit the fiber into your diet, you can always take metamucil or a natural fiber supplement.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Smile. You're certainly not the only one. Do a search for constipation. There's thread after thread of women like you, and then 100s of replies telling you, definitively, what will work for you (oddly all different lol).

Good luck finding what works for you! I was you. I'd tried everything (I'd been constipated since puberty, really).
    I had tests done even.

In the end? I added a magnesium citrate supplement to my diet and the rest, literally, is history.
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Staying hydrated also make a big difference.
  • noelibear
    Options
    Thanks, any suggestions on a good source of fiber...I am not sure of what veggies to eat or even where to start on this one...
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    One of the snacks I have everyday is a greek yogurt cup (or any yogurt, but greek has higher protein) with a full serving (1/3 cup) of Bran Buds with Psyllium fibre. It's my afternoon snack and keeps things regular. :)
  • julimonster
    julimonster Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    add some flax seed meal to some yogurt, you'll be like a playdough factory in no time + drink plenty of water
  • sweoiru234509s
    Options
    A cup of warm water with about a tablespoon of lemon juice and a teaspoon of honey on an empty stomach :)
  • rachelhohenbrink
    rachelhohenbrink Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Water , water and more water. Followed by fiber from fruits and veggies.
  • rhall9058
    rhall9058 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    add some flax seed meal to some yogurt, you'll be like a playdough factory in no time + drink plenty of water

We add flax seed to a lot of our meals to increase the fiber intake. Also look at other high fiber grains to add. Somebody already mentioned in, but metamucel in your daily water would help as well.
  • jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I get plenty of fiber, but still have this problem if I don't drink enough water. Make sure you stay hydrated to keep things moving along. :drinker:

*ETA - When adding fiber to your diet, increase your intake over the course of several days to a few weeks. If you have been getting very little fiber and suddenly start ingesting large quantities you will be miserable! Voice of experience here!
  • katheern
    katheern Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Thanks, any suggestions on a good source of fiber...I am not sure of what veggies to eat or even where to start on this one...

Broccoli, cauliflower, berries, green beans/haricot verts all have a LOT of fiber. Also make sure you drink enough water! No less than 8 cups a day.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Try Activia yogurt. Water, yes water. Apples are a great way to stay regulated and healthy.

I
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    Options
    Broccoli, spinich, romane, apples as well as prune juice (I like using plum smart for my kiddos) to name just a few. Also, try going for a nice walk or jog. That is known to get things moving! Good luck, feel better. Also there is an over the counter med called Senicot (I have no idea how to spell it) that helps. It won't make you go but it will make it not so bad when you do go.
  • mocha106
    mocha106 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I started adding chia seeds to my yogurt more than a month ago and I haven't had a problem since.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    for fiber without cramping, add chia seeds (about a tbls to start up to 2 tbls) to any liquid or food...it will also make you feel fuller.
  • Tinman42
    Tinman42 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine swears by kiwi - a kiwi fruit or two a day helps her stay regular.

I prefer a Kellogg's FiberPlus bar a day - seems to work for me! It has 9 grams dietary fiber. And also walking - never fails, out for a walk and the urge hits....

Good luck!
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Prune juice baby

That stuff would unblock a drain lol
  • mistyblue1963
    Options
    fruit/veggies/fibre and plenty of water :)