Military food help?

Options
I came across a post a few days ago asking who was in the military, so I'm hoping to get some help here...

I just joined this site and have been doing great for the past week and a half with logging meals and exercise. In 2 weeks I leave for my annual 2 week army training. I won't be able to log food. I won't be able to pick and choose what I eat. I'll be very short on time to exercise.

That being said, does anyone have any tips how I can still.... well, be "good"?
The typical MRE they serve you for lunch has over 3000 calories, and thats just lunch!?!?

How am I going to make it for 2 weeks on that??

Replies

• Aprilxlirpa
    Aprilxlirpa Posts: 46
    Options
    I came across a post a few days ago asking who was in the military, so I'm hoping to get some help here...

I just joined this site and have been doing great for the past week and a half with logging meals and exercise. In 2 weeks I leave for my annual 2 week army training. I won't be able to log food. I won't be able to pick and choose what I eat. I'll be very short on time to exercise.

That being said, does anyone have any tips how I can still.... well, be "good"?
    The typical MRE they serve you for lunch has over 3000 calories, and thats just lunch!?!?

How am I going to make it for 2 weeks on that??
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I take it your two week training is going to be completely in the field?
  • Aprilxlirpa
    Options
    exactly. We're getting deployed next year so we'll be working out of a F.O.B. the entire time for practice. And I'm in a leadership position so we'll be up even later than the rest of the troops.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Yeah your right that is a tough one!!! Because MRE's are all you get to eat you don't get anything else. But try to wheel and deal MRE's, eat portions of it (are you allowed to store unopened parts in your day pack??) I really don't want to give you any advice because being in the Navy it's alittle different than what you are doing.

I am bumping this in hopes that one of our awesome MFP family members that has a spouse or is in the Army (I know we had ALOT of them chime in) can give some advice and pointers....

Sorry sweetie.
  • smalla
    smalla Posts: 11
    Options
    I spent 10 years in the Canadian infantry reserves and can tell you if you are in the field, you will need the extra calories. If your field training is anything like my training was, you will lose weight on eating MREs 3 meals a day. Daily training involved physical activity from 0530 until dark if you were lucky; most times, you were on the move at night too. You dont need to eat everything out of the ration pack (the 3,000 calories is if you eat every little morsel out of each pack), but keep in mind that if you dont eat enough, you will not be able to do your job. Stay with the hot meal and the fruit and pass on the cookies, chocolate bars, candies and powdered juices in the packs - that should make a difference. You'll have to judge how much you need to eat based on your level of activity.

Good luck!
  • cwjett
    cwjett Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I remember when my husband would go to AT he would never eat the MRE's. He may eat the peanut butter or something out of it. I think i remember him saying that they served one hot meal maybe and thats all he would eat. Not sure if its like that everywhere but I know he would always come home with his cases of MRE's that would not get eaten. (the kids thought they were really cool) LOL

I can't believe they have so many calories but just think of all the calories you will be burning those 2 weeks!! You may need them just to keep going!

Have fun! :flowerforyou:
  • opatt23
    opatt23 Posts: 90
    Options
    Lol..I looove MRE's, they are just the perfect little pack. My hubby is a Marine and I have to admit I am guilty of snacking on more than one of them..:laugh:

However they are calorie packed (for good reasons) If you pick and choose though, you'd be ok. Stay away from the high cal pound cake and those types of things. Also, the vegetarian pack is much lower in calories...

Good Luck..:bigsmile:
  • Aprilxlirpa
    Options
    Oh the veggie option, never would have thought of that, thanks!!
  • flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Options
    We ate TONS of MRE's in boot camp. Usually atleast 2 a day. No wonder I didn't lose much weight in basic training LOL.
  • thisisforme
    thisisforme Posts: 28
    Options
    Do you get fresh food supplements? Can you packs some portable applesause or something like that? GOOD LUCK.

Being aware in advance is half the battle. You can do it.:flowerforyou:
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    You've received some great suggestions here...I didn't know there was a vegetarian option...I was going to sugguest trading the sweet treats for fruit packs.

My Son used to bring home MREs when he was on leave and make dinner for me...we would sit on the floor...he had a warming bag...he would spit in it to activate it so as to warm the meat dish...I really enjoyed it.

He also made a romantic nighttime picnic for his wife at the beach with MREs, a blanket and light sticks...she loved it!