Just had my dietician appointment... seriously?

Options
"You have to start eating breakfast. That is non-negotiable for me."
"It is so important that you start working grains into your diet. Try bread and pasta. They can be gluten-free if you want, but you have to have them."
"You can't get enough carbs just from eating fruits and vegetables."
"Be sure you're eating every 3-4 hours, so your metabolism doesn't slow down."
"Grapes and cheese is a great snack, just make sure it's low-fat cheese."
"If you don't get enough carbs from grains and starches to fuel your muscles, your lean muscle mass will decrease."

I'm actually livid right now. I can't stand anyone trying to tell me the "one true way," especially not when I've communicated my lifestyle choices (in this case, paleo with some primal days), and emphasized that I want to make a plan that respects those choices. Thanks very much for the body comp, and excuse me if I don't listen to a damned word you say.

Replies

• iambuttercup
    iambuttercup Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Wrong dietician for you obviously...although you may not like what they recommend they should at least take your preferences and incorporate them in a plan. Move on
  • MelAb8709
    MelAb8709 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    She's a dietician. She's probably not legally able to tell you it's okay to eat a diet that excludes major food groups. Her job is to ensure that you have a well-balanced diet. I don't think any dietician will tell you it's okay to skip breakfast.
  • downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Wow.. I'd be a tad annoyed too. I only follow 2 of those - breakfast and eating often through the day. New dietician! :)
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you know how you prefer to eat....so why did you even go to a dietician? I see these posts a lot from people, reciting what the dietician says and then stating that they have no intention on following his or her advice and I'm always wondering why people spend the time and money to go to one if they already know the answers they want to hear.
  • lucindasun
    Options
    I hear ya! I went with a friend to see a dietician after her lap band was inserted and here the expert is telling her all the foods she should eat and all the foods she should avoid. Now I'm a prime example of that exact regime and sat there next to my friend, as obese if not more than she. So what the hell else can i do?

I have two cups of black coffee before I can handle anything else in my stomach. Then force myself to eat cooked whole grain oats with added nutts and seeds, with agave nectar and sugar free fat free almond milk, then 20 unsalted almonds, then a fruit, then fat free yogurt, then before ya know it, it's lunch which consists of either a salad, or veg soup home made. afternoon snacks, cheese, turkey peperettes, Then I drink about 24 oz of lemon water, for supper it's always a stir fry with whole grain rice no pasta no potatoes. or a stew with no potatoes. No bread, night snack would be fat free pudding or hot almond milk with cinnamon and honey, Im at aquacise twice a week, I walk every day, Im on stepper machine and or t zone machine. Can't lose a damn pound, what's a gal got to do???? I even switched to vodka and soda rather than wine for scocial drinking.
  • CantarellaMiyani
    CantarellaMiyani Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I don't think any dietician will tell you it's okay to skip breakfast.

Why not, exactly? As long as I'm getting the nutrition I need, why does it matter whether I start eating at 7 am or noon? And I will not trust any dietician who tells me it's better to force food into my body when I'm not hungry, than get the same number of calories in a smaller window that actually works for me. Talk about forming bad habits!

@all who responded to move on: Definitely! She's sponsored by my office, and will be back in a month to do another body composition and see what has changed. I plan to print out my MFP food diary, log my exercise, stick to paleo, and show her that her way, while it is a perfectly valid way, is not the only way. And then, if I feel like a dietician is a good thing for me, I'll find one who understands my goals.
  • CantarellaMiyani
    Options
    Sounds like you know how you prefer to eat....so why did you even go to a dietician? I see these posts a lot from people, reciting what the dietician says and then stating that they have no intention on following his or her advice and I'm always wondering why people spend the time and money to go to one if they already know the answers they want to hear.

I replied while you were typing, I think, so we crossed paths. :) My office brought her in and offered free appointments, I was curious to see what she'd say. So, nothing lost, though I'll admit to being disappointed.
  • janemem
    janemem Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    She's a dietician. She's probably not legally able to tell you it's okay to eat a diet that excludes major food groups. Her job is to ensure that you have a well-balanced diet. I don't think any dietician will tell you it's okay to skip breakfast.

I may just as well cancel my upcoming appointment with the dietician at my Dr's surgery then because I will never eat during the day, that for me is non negotiable and I would much rather spend my calories on other foods rather than carbs and as for ow-fat cheese, wtf is the point?! :grumble:
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    "You have to start eating breakfast. That is non-negotiable for me."
    "It is so important that you start working grains into your diet. Try bread and pasta. They can be gluten-free if you want, but you have to have them."
    "You can't get enough carbs just from eating fruits and vegetables."
    "Be sure you're eating every 3-4 hours, so your metabolism doesn't slow down."
    "Grapes and cheese is a great snack, just make sure it's low-fat cheese."
    "If you don't get enough carbs from grains and starches to fuel your muscles, your lean muscle mass will decrease."

as soon as they said youll lose muscle without carbs, id gave asked for my money back and gone home. Theres so much stupid in the quotation marks......

Although i understand why my dad gained 11 lbs after going to a dietitian weekly.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options

I replied while you were typing, I think, so we crossed paths. :) My office brought her in and offered free appointments, I was curious to see what she'd say. So, nothing lost, though I'll admit to being disappointed.

ah, that makes sense :) I wasn't calling you out I was just genuinely curious. I feel like I have a good handle on nutrition but I'd also take up a free appointment at work just out of curiosity.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options

I agree...and the advice she gave you was true to a point.
  • CantarellaMiyani
    Options
    @Shannon (I wish replying to a post listed the person's name...)

I wasn't feeling called out at all, I can imagine thinking something similar. And thank you for saying so anyway, the Internet can skew meaning so hard. :) The biggest draw for me was the body comp, which was insightful, so it all worked out for the best.
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I don't blame you for being upset. Breakfast is not as critical as they want you to believe. Breakfast is technically whenever you break the fast (eat for the first time after sleeping). Many people believe delaying breakfast until around noon is beneficial to weight loss. I suggest that you use your own judgment.
  • careyannal
    Options

I agree. A dietitians job is to try to help people with a balanced diet. She probably wouldn't agree with any "extreme" diet. I am sure you can find dieticians who can help with your paleo diet, but I'm not surprised that your "average dietitian" didn't encourage it.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    (i'm paleo/primal as well)

Yeah, the normal dietician is trained in the Standard American Diet way of thinking....that's all they are teaching them in college these days I think.

So, are there any dieticians trained in Paleo/Primal? I've never searched one out myself and seem to just rely on what I find on the different websites. Maybe you can post some questions on those and get some answers....best of luck....and stick with what you know!

:bigsmile:
  • wordena
    wordena Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    You should never force yourself to eat. You're breakfast sounds healthy, but probably too large to comfortably eat regularly. So if you're unhappy, cut it down a bit and alternate. From personal expereince, there is no way that anyone would ever get me to eat more than 2 cups of food for breakfast, its just not something I want, but I do eat my breakfast.
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the normal dietician is trained in the Standard American Diet way of thinking....that's all they are teaching them in college these days I think.

So, are there any dieticians trained in Paleo/Primal? I've never searched one out myself and seem to just rely on what I find on the different websites.
    There maybe some who are interested in Paleo but they wouldn't dare say it in public for fear of being shot back down by their peers. Paleo/primal is just seen as another 'fad' so they really cannot be seen supporting it.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    That's why I only use "professionals", including doctors, to get things I can't get by myself like prescriptions, and blood work requisitions. To this point, a Dr. hasn't told me anything I didn't already know before I went there.
  • LiZzie1917
    Options
    That is like the electro cardiologist telling me to take their rat poison heart med channel blockers when I have had months of proof that I am controlling my Atrial fibrillation with Paleo and herbs. I don't need their rat poison. And, I've lost 24 lbs added benefit.

Stand your ground!
  • LiZzie1917
    Options
    Go to a Naturopath!