Reliable Scale

Options
Okay, so who knows of a truly reliable, affordable scale out there. I thought I had a good one, but it will change by 1-4 pounds within moments of stepping on it. The other day it showed a 5lb gain from the week before, I knew that wasn't true, so I went and made coffee and decided to go back, I lost 4 pounds in a matter of moments.:laugh:. It is consistently showing a one pound gain every week, and that's a whole other matter I can't figure out since I am eating within my calories and working out every day. Either way, I need to know what scale can I trust to be relatively accurate.

Replies

• jenjen84
    jenjen84 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I am wondering about the same thing! Hopefully someone has a good one!
  • AmberMommyTo2G1B
    AmberMommyTo2G1B Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am also wondering the same thing. I need to buy one so please do tell :)
  • thisemmabites
    Options
    ugh! I know! I bought a $20 scale and it's wrong. I hope you find a good one, I went back to my old 5$ scale. :)
  • Mriv
    Mriv Posts: 30
    Options
    I bought a lot of 4 scales off of ebay a few months back. 3 of them were 'HealthOmeter' brand and one was Taylor. For about 5 days I left them in my living room with a pad to record readings. I would measure them compared to each other and found them to be consistent with each other. On three occasions I cycled through all 4 meters 3 times in a row to measure their consistency with themselves. They mostly gave the same exact readings repeatably (85%) but were never any more then 0.2 lbs difference. All of them are electronic. I've become a big fan of electronic scales with sensors embedded in each corner of the scale. I didn't test any of their fancier features like BMI readings. Hope this helps.
  • Elfie1
    Elfie1 Posts: 30
    Options
    OK...I KNOW this is pretty dumb, but it could happen to someone else...

My new digital scale is sitting on a small part of the house that is not carpeted in a hallway. I have been bummed on and off on the past few days when I really thought I HAD to have lost some weight, like long workout, extra exercise, etc. So this morning I was just peed off :explode: since no weight loss at all...it was the same as yesterday, and the day before. I went away to take a shower and just ran back nakkie to recheck and kicked the scale to a diff area....GUESS WHAT...the way the light was shining on the scale where it was sitting did not show the digital numbers changing...it always looked the same.....GAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!! I had lost every day...just couldn't see it.
  • ljm0104
    Options
    I got a HealthoMeter fashion weight tracking scale for Christmas and I have loved it so far. It is accurate with my doctor's office, saves my past weights and tells me how many lbs. I have lost so far and how much I have to go to reach my goal. It saves profiles for four people. It also gives me my bmi. I have had nothing bad to say about it. It was also only $30 Good Luck!
  • kgasser
    kgasser Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Health o meter® Body Fat Monitoring Scale - Champagne/Charcoal
    Model: BFM588
    Medium sized platform
    1.5” backlit LCD display
    Calculates body fat and hydration %
    Displays weight and change in weight for up to 4 users
    One-button SAVE function stores up to 19 entries per user
    Accurately measures weight up to 375 lbs. in 0.2 lb. increments
    4 load cell technology and FDA approved BIA

http://www.healthometer.com/Product.aspx?cid=1087&pid=6970

here is the one I have and I love it. seems very accurate...have weighed it against my professional scale at work and it is quite accurate. It doesn't change at all. The one I had before this one had some sort of a memory that if you got off and back on it would weigh exactly the same, but if you fooled it by weighing, say just one foot so it came up like 50 pounds then stepped on it again it would come up a totally different number, so be aware of this. This one does not do it. You could weigh yourself 6 times and it is going to come within 0.2 pounds each time. I bought mine at Walmart.
  • aprildh
    Options
    Thanks so much. I will definitely look for this scale as soon as I can. Mine is so crazy that I just about have quit weighing.
  • Ruby53
    Ruby53 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have a set of these scales and they are brilliant Weight Watchers WW83 Digital Bathroom Scale with Body Fat & Hydration Plus Wireless Display, not sure how much they are in the USA and whether you can purchase them, but I think they are great!!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I have a $20 digital HealthOMeter and although it does occasionally decide to mess with me and give me a different reading every time I step on it, I just wait until it gives me the same reading 3 times in a row before I settle with it to record it. Scales have different pressure points and if you're shifting your weight differently on the scale, you're going to get a different reading.

My old dial scale is the exact same way -- I can get it to shift around about 5 pounds while I'm standing on it just by shifting my weight around.