Spartan 300 workout

Just wondering if anyone has tried this or is thinking of trying it.
I have a good mate who has started doing this and now is getting me to do it (Tonight in fact). ive looked at it on youtube and it looks quite intense. i have been told it will take around 45 minutes to do first time but the aim is to get it down to around to 20-25 minutes.

I dont know what sort of level of fitness you need to be for this as mine isnt great but with the aim to lose weight and tone up, this is meant to do both.

For those who dont know what it is.... you can do as many sets as you want to complete it but can only have 3 deep breaths between each one and this is a circuit

25 Pullups-wide arm
50 DeadLifts
50 Pushups
50 Boxjumps 24 inch height
50 Floor wipers whilst holding a weights bar up.
25 Kettlebell press (each arm)
25 Pullups.

so whats are other peoples thoughts on this?

Replies

• Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    wow thats intense
    i know i'm only a wuusy girl,
    I'm just aiming to be able to do 1 push up and 1 chin up.

I'd love to hear how well you do tomorrow.
    :drinker:
  • gxdragon
    gxdragon Posts: 23 Member
    I just started doing this a couple weeks ago. Pretty tough, I can't do the pull ups unassisted so I do them on a machine. Not sure how long it's taking me. I think I'm somewhere around 30 minutes. I do that once a week, I also do the Randy Couture wrestler's workout once a week.
  • I'd say if you can do that in 20 - 25 minutes you can do about anything. All good solid exercises. I like it.
  • pgp90xer
    pgp90xer Posts: 219 Member
    I did it and found it really hard, finished in 45 minutes... no way could I had did it under 30 minutes. It is only to be done once in awhile though not an everyday program.
  • bump
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    The thing I find funny about this workout is that the real Spartans didn't use barbells or dumbbells, or any sort of manufactured weight. It was purely callisthenics.

So why does this workout include deadlifts and the like?
  • gxdragon
    gxdragon Posts: 23 Member
    The thing I find funny about this workout is that the real Spartans didn't use barbells or dumbbells, or any sort of manufactured weight. It was purely callisthenics.

So why does this workout include deadlifts and the like?

Supposedly this is the workout used by the actors that played the Spartans in the movie 300. At least that's the what I've read.
  • gaston84
    gaston84 Posts: 14 Member
    I done it in 35 minutes, i did however have to do the pull ups with an assisted machine, i weigh 181Ibs and done it with half my weight on the machine, my aim is to be able to do it with just my body weight.

To top it off my mate added an extra 25 push ups at the end so 8 exercise instead of 7.....this killed me i was literally doing 1 push up and having a 3 deep breaths for about 8 push ups until my body could push the last 5 out.

It's hard going but for my first attempt in 35 mins with the assisted machine for pull ups wasn't too bad, and i thought i was going to throw up half way through.

i have also heard that supposedly the film stars done this but either way its a solid all round work out, working different parts of the body so all is good, im dreading tomorrow morning as i reckon i will barely be able to move, but hay ho as they say No Pain No gain.
  • gaston84
    i will look at the randy one, as i'm looking at scott herman workouts at the moment but want to mix it up.
  • That looks intense! I might try it, although I doubt I'm in good enough shape strength-wise to actually complete it...but you never know. It could be a goal to work up to.
  • AlichiaMJohnson73
    AlichiaMJohnson73 Posts: 186 Member
    BUMP
  • I've never heard of this workout, but it reminds me of similar ones derived from this book I've been using since July - talk about kicking my *kitten*! Anyway, some may like the workouts others may already be doing other things but in the vein of this thread thought I'd toss it out there - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1569755825/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i02
  • KJoy7
    KJoy7 Posts: 246
    Can I watch?
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    This is a tough workout but technically it was devised by Gym Jones as a fitness test originally that most people just do as a workout. I have done this before and usually finish under 30min. My least favorite of the lifts is the 50 floor swipes which holding up 135lbs. That one sucks for me. *BLAH* If you do this once a week along with your other strength training you are golden.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member

25 Pullups-wide arm
    50 DeadLifts
    50 Pushups
    50 Boxjumps 24 inch height
    50 Floor wipers whilst holding a weights bar up.
    25 Kettlebell press (each arm)
    25 Pullups.

so whats are other peoples thoughts on this?

I have done this workout on occasion before I busted my knee - all I can tell you it is a kick *kitten* workout - I am a blubbering piece of jelly by the end - but it feels soooo good!! The key with this for me is to push yourself as hard as you can - but you do get to a point where you just need to take those breaks - man the body can only do so much - but be hard on yourself!!

And I totally agree - those floor wipers just about kills me every time!!

The fastest I ever did it was about 42 mins - but then I am a bit older than you ;-)

We did them about once a month just to gauge fitness etc
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    I did this once, in about 40 mins I think.

It's worth noting this was not actually used as a regular workout, it was just a test of fitness they did at the end of their training.
  • gaston84
    That looks intense! I might try it, although I doubt I'm in good enough shape strength-wise to actually complete it...but you never know. It could be a goal to work up to.

its intense but you go at your own pace as long as you do the reps, so if on pull ups you manage only 1 and have 3 breaths and do another 1 so be it, its all about completing reps, believe me i struggled towards then end. My mate has been training for 15 years and has been doing this for just over a week and finds it hard so shows how tough it is but well worth it i reckon.

The main thing for this is not about strength its form the strength will come in time so you will find you'll be using bigger weights as you go. i only had a 15Ibs straight bar and 8Ibs dumbell and that is quite light but its kills once you start doing the reps, but in know if i do this twice a week i can increase the weights in 2 weeks time.
  • bassmanlarry
    bassmanlarry Posts: 117 Member
    I think the Randy Coulture one referenced is a barbell complex, not quiet as intense as the Spartan workout.
    8 reps of each exercise without putting the barbell down.

-Bent Row
    -Upright Row
    -Military Press
    -Good Morning
    -Split Squat (left/right)
    -Thruster
    -Straight-Legged Deadlift

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mALKhxdSenI
  • gaston84
    Can I watch?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RtNNWwuIKw

this is the video i saw, gives you an idea, the press ups he does on the floor, i do mine on the straight bar so a little harder.