20 Habits skinny people live by

Options
12346»

Replies

• DaphneAtx
    Options
    This probably came from Cosmo or Glamour. Unfounded 'tips' we don't need and don't have any real substance to them.
  • OdeToEmma
    OdeToEmma Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting these simple tips! It's great to get reminders about potential positive choices!
  • squirmmonster
    squirmmonster Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I disagree STRONGLY with point number 4. Those of us who are emotional eaters need to BREAK cycles of deprivation/ reward. This creates yoyo dieting. "Well, I've been reeeeally good, so I will have this cheesecake." You find too many reward justifications. I would, however, modify it to say that you need to fit food you love into your daily calories, and not try to be a total health junkie who NEVER eats food just because it tastes good. I think that's far better way to put it.
  • misfitswayoflife
    misfitswayoflife Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    When I eat boring foods thats when I throw out my food plan and binge.. It may be great for people with self control.. but not an idea that works for me
  • starrlette
    Options
    Bump
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly skinny and I don't do half the things on this list.

A lot of it is bull****. Especially the first one.

Thank for sharing but take everything you read with a grain of salt.

Do you honestly think every person of your size does has exactly the same lifestyle habits as you? The post was siting study results. Just because you don't fit the mold doesn't make the results BS.
  • mary659497
    mary659497 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    thanks for the information
  • scooterhaz
    scooterhaz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Great info .Thanks
  • Iceman1800
    Options
    Habit #19, eat more protein is correct. Everything else is bs
  • Iceman1800
    Options
    This probably came from Cosmo or Glamour. Unfounded 'tips' we don't need and don't have any real substance to them.
    great post
  • Casey45
    Casey45 Posts: 160 Member
    Options

I just realized that keeping a food journal is nowhere on that list. It should be number 1! It is a fact that people who keep accurate food journals lose weight and keep it off.

TOTALLY!
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I know I'm late to the thread, but just wanted to throw out a response to the many people saying that there's no reason to refute this list (and others like it), that the list is merely helpful and criticizing or questioning it is unnecessary and mean-spirited.

The problem with lists like these is twofold. First, they border on flat-out inaccuracy by conflating correlation and causation. Second, the repetition of such ideas ad nauseam takes them from being "tips" to being "rules."

As to the correlation/causation issue, lists like these give an air of authority by citing multiple studies. While looking to science for these answers is clearly important, blatantly misusing studies to say something they do not actually say is more harmful than helpful. Take the ever-popular "eat breakfast" advice as an example. The studies cited in the list show only that normal-weight individuals tend to eat breakfast at a higher rate than overweight individuals. Lists and tips like these take a leap forward from that and claim that eating breakfast is what causes the difference between those groups. Those are very different ideas. The habit of eating breakfast could just as likely be a result of something else.

That leads to problem two, that such a tip becomes a rule. "Eat breakfast," it says, "you want to be skinny like those people, don't you?" In this view, eating breakfast is not simply helpful for some, it's a requirement for anyone to have successful weight loss. When you throw the appearance of scientific support behind it, it becomes even stronger. It becomes a directive rather than a suggestion; eating breakfast becomes good and necessary while skipping it becomes bad and unhealthy. This is problematic because it is far from a hard rule and is not going to be helpful for everyone (or even most people).

It would take willful blindness to deny that this is the origin of a lot of conventional weight loss and diet wisdom. Take a quick look around the forums and see how many people take these same ideas not as mere suggestions but as hard-line musts. I admit I've fallen for it in the past, in former weight loss attempts which failed miserably. I know I'm not alone in that experience. A list giving exact opposite advice of this one would probably work for a lot of people, but you won't find it. Something simple like skipping breakfast or eating large meals infrequently rather than snacking is key for many people (myself included) but is seen as radical or crazy or faddish or stupid or unhealthy precisely because the sort of advice in this list is so ubiquitous.

So when someone points out inaccuracies with a list like this, it is not being mean or priggish. It's simply giving an often-silenced counterpoint, and one which is valid and should not be ignored.