Am I the only one?

Options
2»

Replies

• KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Although very much guilty of providing some of the info on your list. I completely agree with the sentiment that in general most people put too much trust in the safety protocols on most social web sites. And, there are way too many internet trolls and people ready to take advantage of the "innocent" & "unsuspecting".

I guess in the end it is an issue that individuals take an interest in only after being bitten!
  • SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I definitely don't give out birthdate, place of birth, nor do I give out last name. I am leary of those questionnaires that ask for exactly the information "about you" as you listed.

You aren't crazy and it isn't a soapbox, you're just well informed.

IMO, good post.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Unless someone uses their full real name or their SS# as their username, it would be impossible to find someone in real life, even if they do have a picture of themselves. The pic could be a picture of someone else...we have no way to verify it's really the user. I think the odds of anything negative happening from posting personal information are super small.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Some of the information I would give out...some I wouldn't
  • ukulele2010
    ukulele2010 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    For these forums to work one must give and receive - reciprocity is important. I strive for some anonymity but I suspect someone could figure out my identity.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I definitely don't give out birthdate, place of birth, nor do I give out last name. I am leary of those questionnaires that ask for exactly the information "about you" as you listed.

You aren't crazy and it isn't a soapbox, you're just well informed.

IMO, good post.

^^^ This.
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Oh, I definitely have, but that stuff can't be changed. Like I said, it's there forever.
    You should google your username some time, jfinnivan.
  • BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    alcohol consumption and food doesn't bother me but the rest...never give out, not even the county i live in :)
  • KeegansMomma
    Options
    Not to be disrespectful, but the first line in your profile "about you" section, OP is that you are married and have 2 teenage daughters. If I'm not mistaken, those are 2 things you listed in the beginning of your ramble of too much information being listed on the internet.

I for one NEVER post my address, or phone number...or even the car I drive. But, I do post that I am married and have one son (our only son). I try to keep as much information as I can private here...as well as other social media sites. We do live in a dangerous world...and there are people out there who look up and put together all the personal information they can on us to make us miserable and worry and stress. But, if you know how to set your privacy settings, then that info can not be found.

Just saying.
  • nbhobbes
    Options
    Some points are valid, such as the nicknames you call your kids, any CURRENT address information or phone numbers, obviously nothing to do with your financial accounts. But some of those are a bit paranoid. Nobody can steal my identity if I reveal that my boyfriend owns a snake or that we had sex last night or that I love Target or any of that kind of stuff.

True.. But I'm guessing that I might be able to find ya using Rule 34 (Baised off your user name.) :-p
  • SunnyDispo619
    Options
    I'm guessing you are not participating in the "Find your birthday twin" thread then? ;)
  • jfinnivan
    Options
    Thanks. My intent was to list some of the info that people are posting that, taken as a whole, could be compromising. I agree that some select, relevant info is fine. I think you need to know what your limits are, which are different for everybody.
    You make a good point.
    Not to be disrespectful, but the first line in your profile "about you" section, OP is that you are married and have 2 teenage daughters. If I'm not mistaken, those are 2 things you listed in the beginning of your ramble of too much information being listed on the internet.

I for one NEVER post my address, or phone number...or even the car I drive. But, I do post that I am married and have one son (our only son). I try to keep as much information as I can private here...as well as other social media sites. We do live in a dangerous world...and there are people out there who look up and put together all the personal information they can on us to make us miserable and worry and stress. But, if you know how to set your privacy settings, then that info can not be found.

Just saying.
  • BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Oh, I definitely have, but that stuff can't be changed. Like I said, it's there forever.

have i just found your twitter on google ? sorry...thought I'd google you just because it said so !
  • sizzle92
    sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am super scared of the Internet. That is why I am never ever on it. Ever.
  • jfinnivan
    Options
    Not very interesting stuff, I'm afraid.

have i just found your twitter on google ? sorry...thought I'd google you just because it said so !