Working out

Options
I find it really hard to find the time to go to the gym ... and when i do have the time to be honest i cant be bothered... are there any alternative ways to do excerise without actually going on a treadmill ... like things i can do in my bedroom ? thanks x

Replies

• Kristen81
    Kristen81 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Work out videos. I do 30 Day Shred and Biggest Loser...Cardio Blast i think its called. I do them in my bedroom and you don't need much room. They are great work outs too.
  • lisa811
    lisa811 Posts: 363
    Options
    I second the 30-day shred. (It's by Jillian Michaels.) Only 20 minutes per workout--a very intense workout, but it's nice that you're done in 20 minutes. Lose some weight, build endurance, and tone up all at the same time.
  • Celestia
    Celestia Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Work out videos, local classes (try new things like kickboxing, yoga, etc) or riding bikes with a friends. There are a plethora of ways to get exercise without hitting a gym.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I don't go to a gym either. It's either run outside, or work out in the basement.

There are literally hundreds of workout DVD's, video games, and excersises that only require the motivation to do them.
  • ractayjon
    Options
    If you dont have access to the videos use a clock and your body....push ups, side planks, sit ups, jumping jacks, lunges...you can lift "weights" with milk gallons, laundry detergent or canned goods...you can make a line on the ground with a belt and jump over it back and forth, you can dance to the radio or you can walk up and down the stairs over and over....the goal is to get your heart rate up....be inventive belly dance in front of the mirror, do the old school squat thrusts - even better do a combination of all of them for 30 minutes (or more).
  • sharnie_007
    Options
    thanks for that .. i may have to look into them ... im not actually lazy i just find the gym boring and claustraphobic cos everyone stares!!!
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    If you've never tried to fight it, you will soon find Gravity is a *****. Push ups, sit ups, pull ups, squats, etc. Anything that you do to move yourself against gravity is work. Lie flat on the floor and get up to your feet as quickly as you can, 30 times, with no rest. Bet it get's your heart pumping. Now squat down and touch the floor between your feet, without stopping to rest look up and the ceiling and try to jump up and touch it. Put in a CD and dance like no one is watching. Run around the house, the block, or the town. Just because it doesn't fall into a "category" doesn't disqualify it as a workout. Get your heart rate up so it's difficult but not impossible to talk, break a sweat, and feel a little burn in your muscles and you're doing just as much of a workout as someone at a "gym".
  • boniekatie
    Options
    If you get closterphobic in the gym than you need to get outside. Go for a walk, run, bike ride, rollerskating, jump on a trampoline, swim, play at a park, play in the snow, ect.
  • sharnie_007
    Options
    i hate people watching me excerise in general.. makes mereally self concious!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I got a used copy of Dance Dance Revolution and a mat for it for like $30 total, it's very fun and can be done anytime. I haven't been doing it lately because I live in a teeny condo and I got sick of carrying my coffee table into the kitchen lol...but it really works up a sweat!
  • CaseyChristian
    Options
    I used to be the same about the gym! I just hated it because it seemed like I would be the ONLY one not in shape there, but once I started taking my ipod and just tuning everyone else out it worked wonders. :) As long as I have my music up loud, I don't pay much attention to anyone else lol. Another trick, I've started is covering up the part on the machine w/my distance, calories burned, and time w/a towel. I tend to get discouraged if I'm not doing as well as the person next to me, so I only move my towel after a couple of songs and see how far I've got. :)

And another thing that worked for me, is a sweat band. You can get one at Walmart for $5 and wrap it around your stomach really tight and it causes you to sweat more while working out. It really works!
  • aerobicgirl
    aerobicgirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    i do insanity and zumba in my spare room.