Hal Higdon half marathon

Options
Hey,

I'm on week 3 of hal higdons novice one half marathon training at the moment. It recommends that you do some strength exercises on some days of the week. Just wondering if anyone has successfully completed this programme? And also if anyone knows of some good strength exercises for running?

Replies

• sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I used the Novice II training program from Hal Higdon for my fist half that I ran in early May. I was also doing Chalean Extreme at the time for strength training. I dropped the last 15 lbs in about 12 weeks with that combo plus mindful eating!
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I have the novice version of this printed out and hanging on my fridge. I plan on starting it after my 5k on Sunday! Any advice would be nice!!!!!
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    It got me through my first half Marathon.

Any strength training. Doesn't have to be crazy. Body weight squats, lunges, pushups, core work.

You want to strengthen your whole body so you can hold it all together for 13.1 :)
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I'm on week 3 of hal higdons novice one half marathon training at the moment. It recommends that you do some strength exercises on some days of the week. Just wondering if anyone has successfully completed this programme? And also if anyone knows of some good strength exercises for running?

I used this for my first Half. I skipped the strength stuff. i still don't do much, but that will be my focus over winter. oh. that was 8 half marathons ago. i do his intermediate plan now. the intervals really improve speed and running strength. 1st half, 2:29:00. last half(last weekend) 1:58:57. I was a non runner when i started.
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    I did this as well and did great on my half. I just did core work for my strength training!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I am on Novice 2, but it is similar. I am on week 9. So far, it's easier than what I was doing before for the 1oK in terms of total mileage, but the long run is new. The strength training was simple (not easy) for the other program I did. 50 Squats, 50 push ups, 50 lunges, 100 jumping jacks, 25 leg lifts, 50x2 high knees, 25 crunches 5 1-minute planks. Then walk a brisk mile before and after.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I used a Hal Higdon plan for both of my half marathons and my strength nights (Mon was strength only, Thu was strength followed by a 3 mile run) looked like this:

3 Sets each of:
    Chest Press
    Lat Pull
    Leg Extensions
    Seated Row
    Ab Crunch
    Bicep Curls
    Lunges
    Tricep Pushdown
    Standing Row
    Leg Curls
    Overhead Press
    Shoulder Press
    Squats

For the ab crunches, it was on a machine set at 40lbs and I did 30 each set. Lunges were body weight only, typically 15 per leg, per set. Squats were just holding a 10lb weight (it was all I had) and 20-25 each set.

All others were highest weight that I could do at least 3 reps but no more than 8 reps. Once I found that I could do more than 8 reps consistently, I upped the weight.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Bump for reading later.
  • waskier
    waskier Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I used that program for my first half (Seattle Rock 'n Roll) last June. Worked great for me. My wife is finishing her first half training next week and I am using Higdon's Novice 2 full marathon for the Las Vegas Rock 'n Roll in December. His programs work very well and you will definitely be ready for your race.

I use the Body For Life workout routines, alternating between upper and lower body. I highly recommend it. They have a great list of machines and free weights to choose from based on your own preferences.

Good luck!
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I used that program for my first half (Seattle Rock 'n Roll) last June.

That's my first, too! Then I did Amica Seattle then this year's RnR Seattle :)
  • Jenner9169
    Jenner9169 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your help everyone! Sounds like you have all done really well out of it :D