Whole Chicken in the Slow Cooker

Options
jamie1888
jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
TRY IT! Words can not even describe how good this is! :love: :love: :love:

We've made this many times! I didn't have celery this last time and it still came out great! Also, didn't have lemons and used oranges instead.

You can throw potatoes in the pot too! Or serve with quinoa or brown rice, etc.

chicken.jpg

chicken2.jpg

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1gDAUS/www.thelittlekitchen.net/2011/02/03/whole-chicken-in-a-slow-cooker/

Rub Ingredients
4 tsp salt
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp black pepper

3 1/2 to 4 1/2 lbs roasting or fryer chicken
1 cup chopped onion, approx 1 medium to large onion
4-5 carrots, scrubbed, no need to peel, chopped in halves or thirds
4 celery stalks, cut in thirds
2 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
1 lemon quartered

Combine rub ingredients in a small bowl.

Remove chicken from packaging and remove neck and pouch with organs. Discard or reserve for later use in another recipe. Rinse chicken and pat dry with paper towels.

Rub garlic all over outside of the chicken. Put garlic inside the chicken. Rub the rub all over the outside and inside the chicken. Add quartered lemon to the inside of the chicken.

Place onions, carrots and celery inside the slow cooker. Place chicken on top of the vegetables. Cover slow cooker and cook chicken on low for 4-8 hours. (When I used a 4 lb chicken, it took about 6 hours. The time will depend on the size of the chicken and your slow cooker.) Cook until the internal temperature of the leg is at 160 degrees F or use a pop-up thermometer as the original recipe calls for.

Remove chicken and place in a 9x13 glass baking dish. Place baking dish in the oven under the broiler for about 4-5 minutes. Allow chicken to rest after removing it from the broiler for 5-10 minutes.

Replies

• tikafly
    tikafly Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I roll up aluminum foil into little balls and set the chicken on top, so the chicken is elevated. This makes it a bit more rotisserie-like.
  • keenercam
    keenercam Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    This sounds delicious! I have also heard that if you put the chicken in breast down, the white meat will get very juicy. I haven't tried it yet. This recipe sounds so delicious that I am going to go buy a whole chicken!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    The chicken sits on the veggies, so no foil needed! And we've never turned the chicken breast side down and it's always super juicy! Melts in your mouth! I'm salivating just thinking about it! :tongue:
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Bumpity YUM bump
  • joceemartinez84
    joceemartinez84 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • BARBnKS
    BARBnKS Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to take time to add all the spices and vegetables and just throw the whole chicken in the crock pot it comes out juicey & delicious.:flowerforyou:
  • skinnyme47
    skinnyme47 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Looks delicious. :smile:
  • roman109
    Options
    Bump
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    YUM! I am going to have to try this, STAT. Thanks for posting!
  • NursRatchett
    NursRatchett Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    This looks really good!
  • KeegansMomma
    Options
    This sounds delicious! I have also heard that if you put the chicken in breast down, the white meat will get very juicy. I haven't tried it yet. This recipe sounds so delicious that I am going to go buy a whole chicken!

YES! It is true! When my mom cooked Thanksgiving dinner one year, she accidentally put it in the over upside down. But holy cow was the breast meat juicy and tender! :)
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I obviously will be buying a slow cooker tomorrow! This looks FANTASTIC thank you for sharing :bigsmile:
  • berod1
    Options
    This sounds wonderful is there any way to save this to your favorites or favorites recipes. Thanks for any help I am new here. Doris
  • justlistening
    justlistening Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I do this too. Put veges on the bottom (onions, carrots, celery or whatever you want). Put chicken in breast side down. Season with salt & pepper. Cook all day or in my case 10 hrs on low.

Yummy!! and don't forget to get the juice from the chicken to make gravy! It's the absolute best ever. Just take veges/chicken out. Pour juices in to a sauce pan and get rid of oil. Add some flour to help thicken and maybe some salt. Simmer for 10+ minutes until it thickens up.
  • zobqueen
    zobqueen Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Going to freezer now to get out whole chicken to thaw out!! Gonna try this recipe tomorrow - sounds absolutely fabulous! :bigsmile:
  • sabgoe
    sabgoe Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Dencrossgirl
    Dencrossgirl Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Great meal for busy days.
  • swweis
    swweis Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    bumpin for later