ATTENTION: successful weight loss people!

Options

Replies

• MissCarter79
    MissCarter79 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I totally KNOW what you mean! I don't know what happened this time. I just started on mfp almost 2 weeks ago and when I did I just knew it is gonna happen. My husband just looked at me funny in the beginning. I mean business. I know it will be a long road but im so ready to make it happen! All the other times, I'd start, know I could lose a few pounds and fall right back off the wagon. Hubby is my weakness as he likes to make me feel better with food. Let me tell you, it feels SO GOOD to be able to tell him no to comfort food! I did have a bad day yesterday but I made this pact with myself knowing that slip-ups are not gonna make me quit. The next day is a new day and thats that. Changes are in my future. GOOD ONES!

Here's to being healthy! I can't wait to see your after pictures!

My husband does the same thing with food. He always loved bringing me my favorite fast food when I was feeling bad!
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    That is a wonderful way to look at it Goatgirl. You have a wonderful spirit.
  • amez1974
    amez1974 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are ready to lose the extra weight once and for all!

My aha moment was when I realized that although I was always "dieting" I weighed as much as I had when I gave birth to my third child seven years earlier!! That kept me motivated, then the results kept me motivated. Some days/weeks it is a struggle, but I have come to far to give up now.

Make sure you take "during" pictures too. I have taken pictures at various stages of my own weight loss and putting them next to my original pics is so motivating!

Good luck!
  • Danayle
    Danayle Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I still have a long way to go, but I knew it was working when I started logging my food and not cheating by leaving foods out that I didn't want to log. I knew it was working when I started to lose weight. I also knew it would work better from having support on here and being more realistic instead of so strict like I had been before and why I had given up before.
  • GwennyH
    GwennyH Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You're describing EXACTLY what happened to me... I've only lost 13 lbs (of 40+) so far, but I know it will work this time. Determination... I never had that part of it before, I do now... I can see it, visualize it, but most importantly, I believe it: I CAN be thin too if I just keep putting the work in. This is my time!
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    Looking forward to seeing that followup post here in a few months. You go girl!!!
  • jerseygirlmaggie
    jerseygirlmaggie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Wow, buckeye86, those are some great progress pictures. Congratulations!

Also, I don't mean to discourage any of you, it's just something I've noticed - all of you seem much older than me (I'm 21). It makes me so glad that I made this decision now and now 20 years later.

Never too late, though!

Not discouraging, just late to the party!!! You know that expression "If I knew then what I know now"....

I can see where I could have made a huge difference in getting fit in high school alone. I could have walked the 3 miles between school and home every afternoon (instead of taking the bus home) and would likely have been fit by the time I graduated! Can you imagine what a difference 3 miles a day, 5 days a week for 4 years would have done for me? It just seemed soooooo far back then. How dumb was I?

You are SMART taking care of this issue now. Good luck on your journey to fitness!

Edited to add: In HS I only needed to lose about 35 lbs so I know I would have totally been fit in 4 years!!!
  • vvanm
    vvanm Posts: 157
    Options
    I was a yo-yo dieter and would go years at the perfect weight before life would derail me. I have two older 200 lb sisters and it seemed inevitable that I too would not age gracefully. However, there just got to be too many reasons why I refused to accept that. The reasons were both big and frivolous, but they added up and in 2004 I dug in for the long haul and now have lost 75 lbs. Every day when I was tempted to go over calories I would remind myself that I did not have any descretionary calories until I was at goal weight. I would tell myself that when reached goal I could eat the dessert/splurge at that time. That thought stopped me in my tracks every day. I took it slow and steady and vowed to be more stubborn than my food craving brain. One reward was seeing myself in my daughter's wedding pictures, looking my best! :D You can do this, I can already tell by your attitude!
  • Goatgirl8
    Goatgirl8 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Wow, if you can get through all that and still keep going... that says everything!
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    You can do it!!! I would say something real inspiring right now and try to say some motivating words but you don't need them. You are ready. I feel the same way right now and I have been doing this since the beginning of this year. I am now down 24 pounds. Slow and steady wins the race. One of the biggest things that I keep in mind is to change one little thing at a time, drink more water and when you got that, move onto calories intake, and then move onto exercise, little moves at a time in time make huge leaps. I took a step back and looked at my plan after I plateaued after reaching 242 and not nursing anymore. One step is the start of a million.
  • lasooch
    Options

Also, I don't mean to discourage any of you, it's just something I've noticed - all of you seem much older than me (I'm 21). It makes me so glad that I made this decision now and now 20 years later.

Never too late, though!

Not discouraging, just late to the party!!! You know that expression "If I knew then what I know now"....

I can see where I could have made a huge difference in getting fit in high school alone. I could have walked the 3 miles between school and home every afternoon (instead of taking the bus home) and would likely have been fit by the time I graduated! Can you imagine what a difference 3 miles a day, 5 days a week for 4 years would have done for me? It just seemed soooooo far back then. How dumb was I?

You are SMART taking care of this issue now. Good luck on your journey to fitness!

Even though I am starting early in comparison, I still regret not starting earlier - back in high school. Oh, the countless opportunities I've missed out on already!

A few months more though and I won't miss out on any opportunities because of my looks or fitness anymore.
  • Pigpug100
    Options
    You go, girl! Can't wait to see your before & after!
  • Goatgirl8
    Options
    Oh yes..I totally can relate! It "clicked" for me back in 2006 when I said...enough is enough. I was going to a birthday dinner and I was squeezing into a tight skirt that was too small. I looked at the pics from that party and said...I need to do this for me. So I got serious and lost 65 pounds. Since then, I've gained some of it back...but I'm back at it again to get to goal weight...no matter what! And I know you will do the same.

I don't quote celebrities too often, but Oprah made a statement that stuck with me for years. Losing weight is a choice. When you decide that you had enough, and choose to lose weight...no matter what...then you will lose weight!

Best wishes and feel free to add me...I too will be on this journey with you :) Cheers to healthy living!

Thank you, and your are right. Once we are ready, that's it. I too have a quote from Oprah that resonated with me and I've never forgot it because it could apply to any life situation..."Power is strength over time." Ain't it the truth?
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    it's definitely a lifestyle change. there is no quick fix, and fad diets, pills, etc don't work. I'm even skeptical of surgeries because too many people fail (because they aren't committed to the lifestyle change - if they were I don't think they'd need surgery in the first place - just my opinion)..... Once you actually make the lifestyle change, it's easy to stick with because of how freaking amazing you feel!! :)
  • Goatgirl8
    Options

Never too late, though!

You wouldn't have anyway of realizing this yet, but when you age (and if your lucky, you WILL age) you will find that it doesn't matter how old you get, in your mind you are still young with the same conscience and memories and desires you had when you were 21. Age is just a state of mind. Being older makes you a smarter and wiser and well rounded human being. Only then will you realize that being young will only last for a very short time.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    You're describing EXACTLY what happened to me... I've only lost 13 lbs (of 40+) so far, but I know it will work this time. Determination... I never had that part of it before, I do now... I can see it, visualize it, but most importantly, I believe it: I CAN be thin too if I just keep putting the work in. This is my time!

YOU CAN DO IT!!!! I know you can...you're off to a great start!
  • smalleyez06
    smalleyez06 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I had that click! I have successfully lost weight before but not as much as I want to loose this time around but not only loose, change my lifestyle in general. I also now have children I want to learn how to properly eat and not sit down and eat a bag of chips in front of the TV and they will learn this from me. My son already is a big boy in general but with an active lifestyle and proper nutrion he will be healthy.
    You have a great attitude towards this and that is why it WILL happen this time. Like other posters have stated, 1 bad day or 15 when they happen, just get back into the right groove and don't let it derail you!
  • jerseygirlmaggie
    jerseygirlmaggie Posts: 165 Member
    Options

Never too late, though!

You wouldn't have anyway of realizing this yet, but when you age (and if your lucky, you WILL age) you will find that it doesn't matter how old you get, in your mind you are still young with the same conscience and memories and desires you had when you were 21. Age is just a state of mind. Being older makes you a smarter and wiser and well rounded human being. Only then will you realize that being young will only last for a very short time.

Great minds think alike. 45 is only a number for me. Mentally (and for the most part physically) I feel 21. No health issues just some unwanted pounds.
  • SarahAFerguson
    SarahAFerguson Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    That click came when I found this Site.
  • 05saleengirl
    Options
    One thing I've always told people, when your ready and its in your head...nothing will stop you. I specifically remember the day I had finally wanted it just like you. It can and will happen. It will take time. Will it be hard...you may have your days. Will it be fun...yes, rewarding...yes...worth it...... Absolutey!!! Just Never, Never give up. This is your new way of life....not something your just doing to lose the weight. Because you will want to be healthy for life. :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!